Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Yesterday I was disappointed by the sound after few hours run-in, high end lacked detail and low end, was kind of wooly.
After let it run overnight it is a lot better in both regards but LDO still has little more crisp clear/sound, though LDO lacks that ''body''.
Maybe it will improve further with more time? The LDOs have already had months of use, so they may have went through a similar change for all we know.

I suspect tweaking C2 could help refine the sound further , gonna try adding some more 220uf caps in parallel and large film bypass caps.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Couple of days more time will help. Its responsive to C2 tuning as well as C1. Having short thick output cables helps too. Try to keep the body and increase the clarity. Its possible. Its a lot down to whole system synergy in what direction to move the balance of traits.

Current trafo is giving about 18VDC loaded.
After adding 2.7uf and 0.1uf polyprolyene bypass caps things are starting to sound really good :)

Increasing spare current again to 150mA also had a noticeable effect.

Next thing to look at is the output caps,
The LDOs require 1-10uf low esr ceramic caps right at the output plus I added 1uf PP caps aswell... very fast and low esr caps compared to ultrabib OP cap.
Im starting to wonder how much of the LDOs ''clear'' sound is actually the reg rather than the output caps, if it is the caps then when they are added at the load to avoid instability with bib it will only make them more effective at decoupling.

For another split supply for a headphone amp, I think bib will show it's full potential as an amp supply, responding to HP's current demands instantly.

Yeah, it's better with the those caps added now, yet still nothing like the LDO but at this point there is basically nothing to miss about the LDO.

The ''clarity'' or what im starting to believe was more of a perception of clarity, has not really changed.

I prefer brighter signature. It's almost like the treble and upper mids are EQ'd down with the bib, not a trace of harshness, but that's all it is ... EQ.
The actual detail/resolution in treble seems to be even greater than LDO, it just doesnt jump out at you.

I would like to power a board that requires a 15v bi-polar power supply. How would I wire the +, ground and - inputs given the Salas boards board provide multiple ground outputs?

The board accepts dual-mono power input, so ideally I would feed it two bi-polar power supplies. In that case, would I power it with four Salas boards (two positive and two negative)?

How would ground be wired in that case?

Thanks.

Finally got around to finishing one of my BiBs.

Worked just fine from the beginning and I have a checquered past with transistor stuff! Just ask TEA BAG ...

One thing to mention to folks building one - mine are 5 volts and I got a smaller value trim pot since this will only be a 5 volts regulator - I used a 40 ohms load resistor - I turn on the power - I initially see seven or so volts, I start turning the trim pot and it seems nothing is happening. I am getting worried wondering what did I do wrong since there are a myriad of possibilities.

I keep turning and VOILA the voltage starts coming down and it is simplicity to set the voltage and it stayed there with very little variation for an half hour and then I connected it to where it will be used and it stayed almost the same - not enough to worry about - hundredth of a volt.

I cannot believe how easy this was. To think how I dreaded putting this together for fear of failure. Just be careful and success with follow.

Waves of appreciation to the Great Salas and his colleague Tea Bag.

Hi Salas,

roughly 1 and half year ago I built a SALAS reg pair (i think - v1.3 - POS and NEG)
I have been using it for IV stage&filtering stage for ES9038q2m DAC - although I changed the DAC to the pro version, but still I use this PS.

My questions:
- what was the global experience, which version was the best for audio amps. (<200mA load) - I mean sound wise - best stage, best clarity, most details....
- is there a version for 3.3V output?
- If I put high CAPs (>10000uF) on the output does it destroy the quality?

Sorry not reading all the post - last year I read a lot, and after that I have choosen your PS to be built :)

Thanks for your help,

Szabolcs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My questions:
- what was the global experience, which version was the best for audio amps. (<200mA load) - I mean sound wise - best stage, best clarity, most details....
- is there a version for 3.3V output?
- If I put high CAPs (>10000uF) on the output does it destroy the quality?

-1.3 is best version choice for such audio amps too
-No. Not without expert modifications
-Don't do that because high caps at the output will dominate with own qualities