Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Takes not only more space but yet another dual independent secondaries transformer and higher total shunt PSUs dissipation nonetheless.
Although you would notch down the CC current burden per reg in dual mono, the minimum spare current dissipation remains the same and multiplies heat by the more reg units.

If I use it mainly for headphones, would it also sound wider?

On speakers mainly. Some headphones are wider than others. Like an AKG K702 will always be wider than a Sennheiser 600 no matter if the preamp helps it a little more.

Nice to hear that. By chance I have K702's and the main reason I decided to build DCG3 was because of them. In the beginning I intended to build it with dual mono PSU but I decided to try it first with one PSU but the spare current was a bit of a concern. Now it's clear - dual mono is the way to go. Thanks.:)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
For C1 C2 and 8V standard output you can use 16V capacitors. C3 has to still fall in the given ESR range and lower voltage ones go up in ESR so check datasheets to find one that fits all parameters. Although 150mA is not a big current better keep C1 in substantial uF value for better ripple. C2 no less than 220uF for good internal voltage reference noise filtering.

hi! i have made an idea of low power salas shunt for my dac. 0.5W (max) disipated on each mosfet, about 60mA spare current, CC is about 210mA, Vout is 8V, Vin is 11V. Dimensions 55x25mm. it will be fed by golden reference low voltage power supply (GRLV) made by kevin gilmore, designer of dynalo amp series. this is very stable power supply but salas shunt wil add low output impedance and further improve ripple. GRLV is fed by meanwell SMPS brick (15V). i want to thank you Salas for your help

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 480
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 479
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,

This answer comes from the reg's pdf guide:

"The reg works even with less than 5V difference because CCmA weakening starts only at Vin-Vout <1.7V for ~200 CCmA settings. At 600mA CC it starts weakening at Vin-Vout <2.5V. But more voltage space allows for mains play and for better M1's parasitic capacitance."

Hi supersurfer,

Can you share some more pictures with the saligny? how you attached these and where?
Do you notice an improvement with the saligny's?

I am planning the same, so i'm interested!!

regard,
John

Hi,

I have build 2 ultrabib positive regulators and cannot get them to run.
I attched a toroid transformer with 30vac output and used a saligny mosfet rectifier. R1 is below the pcb.
On both regulators I get 3,45v output and cannot set the voltage.

Did I make an obvious mistake?

Hope you can help.

Kind regards,