Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Hi,

I need some help for troubleshooting. I built an UltraBiB v1.3 minikit positive regulator, I used 9VAC transformer, and I would like using it 5V DC Out. R1 resistor is 4.9Ohm, because my DAC Imax is 26mA. I used 100Ohm load resistor. I started to set the output voltage with the pot. the output voltage was constantly 11.36V independently from the position of the potmeter.
I've installed all fet-s, and transistor to the correct location and orientation, I double checked it. I've also double checked all resistors. Everything looks correct, but it looks like something wrong. Could somebody give me tips where should I start the measurement and the troubleshooting?

Thanks Laszlo

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Remember its pins are CBE from left to right flat face. You measure between B-E. Unload the output and confirm the load resistor's value. Then measure Vgs for M1 & M2 (3-6V pins 1,3). Yes, replace Q2 and/or Q3 if Vbe is still wrong after those other checks.

Before doing semiconductors replacements lastly check the trimmer also with an Ohm meter between pins 1,3 when the power is off. It should be spanning a big range from zero to near its kΩ value (VR//VRR). It needs to be set very low near zero side for 5V out. Did you turn it down enough?