Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks Salas!
Then I should be OK. I have a pair of Toroidy "Audio Grade". I've allways been happy with their transformers so far.

Also orient the AC secondaries exit area away from facing signal runs, the same with the 230VAC mains wiring, keep good mounting distances & tidy cables in general, you will be fine.
BTW nobody asked special assistance yet about facing hum problems if I remember well. And there are enough builds done by now. Seems easy to succeed making this system quiet.
Odds are on your side.

I wonder if this preamp has enough juice to power straight my high sensitivity fullrange driver (8'',8 ohm, Rullit Classic and Azurahorn fronthorn).
By now, my current amplifier is Class AB chip amp, the Tripath TA2024, The fullange drivers are not happy with more than 6 watts that this IC delivers.
Now I may consider upgrade to a true Class A.
I already bought the M2C board, but never completed the project, I learned despite being a Pass amp. it's not a low power one, and my driver will lost dinamic and synergy if more than 3w. (in class A).

Isn't the Tripath more a Class D type amp?
The Pass ACA would have been a easy fun amp to make to try with your speakers.
About 4 watts. Unfortunately we've sold out the kits, so it will still be a while before we get more
The circuit boards are still available in the store.

Hi Variac, Tripath I read somewere is a Class T amplifier, described as a Class AB one with consumtion of Class D.
So not Class AB, right, but performing as it was. Their sound once optimized is plenty High End, not complaints concerning the sound,...ehem... only I may regret if I wants absence of flavour, or euphonics. Is pure dry, very handy at listening to modifications.
So it would be nice other as Class A to compare.
Other reason to move from it, is I burned many of them, and each time almost damage the speakers.
I will check the thread burning amp. Thanks

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I can only find Dale precision resistors (PTF) in 1/8 rating for R1 (input) and R7 (feedback). IIRC I've read that mil spec Dales are underspeced regarding power rating but anyway would there be any degrade in SQ by using them ?
Say at 24V pk-pk (very high output signal) R7 will get 32mW pk-pk power and R6 70mW pk-pk so the 1/8W resistor will still safely take it

Thanks guys, just what I needed to know. I have one more thing to decide, which is the heatsink (and most possibly the chassis).
I only do through holes in heatsinks for mosfets and such so the distance mosfets have among them is important. If not 1 cm, I'll have to buy a copper bar if the bottom plate is not thick enough. I can't determine with certainty the distance from the pictures, anyone has the numbers ?

Last edited:
Please a question concerning the power supply 17,5V. dual DCSTB (if groupbuy has leftover :p), could be further cascoded to reach 12v. and even 8v. To power together with Salas DCG3 preamp, an http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/278667-arduino-based-ldr-volume-source-selection-controller.html

I would like to use: LT3045-M Ultralow-noise (0.8µVRMS) LDO linear regulator 0V-15V - 500mA (1V Step)

Instead of their original matching power supply, I thing also to the expense, has associated low quality and high noise transformer and regulators, please see attachment :

Attachments

• LDR power supply.jpg
    LDR power supply.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 677
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes you can cascade (chain) further lower voltage regulators from the DCSTB's output to feed various subsystems. Or from its raw DC nodes. DCG3 itself needs around +/-17V to function properly. Don't change that. Things to watch are not to draw too much additional current for subsystems overloading the given sinks (they are good for up to 150-170mA per polarity but you can use taller ones if you must draw 200-250mA /polarity) and to use TO-220 type rectifier diodes in the DCSTB's raw DC section so not to overload smaller ones. There are alternative pads for such diodes already. If the fuses will kick, uprate them.

Another simpler thing you could do instead of adding further regulators for subsystems since DCSTB is already a low noise and low impedance voltage referenced Sziklai pair capacitance multiplier, is to drop the needed voltages from its output with simple RC cells tailored for each subsystem. Sometimes passive filtering for voltage drop is all you need. Surely benign for self noise at least.

Totally separate subsystems PSU as in your drawing is of course a very good solution regarding their isolation to the main preamp circuit.

Just a word of caution, will never again plug a set of headphones into any amp using such powerful output devices without an output transformer or series output cap. Lost two HD800 and one Sony MDR from a little fault sneaking in while fiddling in the amp with headphones connected.

Invariably one day you will stick your fingers into the amp while headphones are connected and all you will hear is a deadness after a loud thump and your ear getting warm - then it is much too late and your $2000 headphone is history.

BTW this is true for almost any DIY hobby, you fiddle because you think you are smart and know what you are doing, and then..... This is directed at Patric!

Last edited: