Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

I also use no SLB in my DCG3. The only one SLB of the whole system is located in the power amplifier. My DCG3 chassis has a bolted wire connected to mains earth. The signal ground is again bolted to chassis with a thick wire taken from one point only where the In-Select returns line and the channels input coax screens meet at the volume pot's return points bridged. Pot's metal parts are already at chassis potential because mechanically secured with an L bracket. DAC, preamp, power amp, are all using three wire IEC. No ground loops buzz in the background with ear on the HF horn's mouth.

Salas I thought that the purpose of a SLB/connection is only as a safety device that would permit current to be transmitted from the PCB or PSU to chassis if there was a catastrophic failure. This would be in addition to the mains earth to chassis connection. Maybe it is only needed in large current consumers like power amps?

nash

It's a safety device when you need the signal ground lifted from mains earth if a direct connection causes buzz in a system. In case of failure the SLB turns almost direct.

OK but if a resistor or CL60 is inserted in parallel with a diode bridge connection as is typical we still have a direct connection so the signal is not lifted. Maybe I misunderstand. I measured around 0.15VDC and around 9.0VAC between the DCSTB G point and chassis.

nash

Perhaps the scheme is not as clear as I would like. Circuit GND is not connected to chassis nowhere except at one point through the SLB. The rest wiring from pcb to inputs/outputs is as your suggestions
your sch says otherwise.
Pin1 is shown connected to a symbol. The other pin 1 is also connected to the same symbol.
The signal returns on the two RCA/Phono are shown connected to the same symbol.
That tells me you have taken the signal returns to the same chassis as the two pin 1 are connected to.

Yes, I can see the confusion. Schematic updated!

Attachments

• Wiring.JPG
    Wiring.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 585
Balanced build

Please see pics of my completed balanced build.

R7's are lifted and linked together.

I have been experimenting with XLR pin 1's and in this build for balanced use only the lowest noise is with pin1's to chassis which is where I have them now.

My attempts at installing a SLB have not been successful. I have tried at the DCSTB G and at the DCG3 G points but they both introduce a buzz. With no SLB and XLRpin 1's to chassis the amp is very quiet.

I will be replacing the 11/2 in heatsinks with 21/2 ones very soon. At 130ma they are getting around 52C with lid open and 64C with the lid on at ambient 22C.

Just a note that with R7's linked adjusting the DC offset of one phase effects the other.

My initial impression of the sound is that the stage is a bit wider and the sound more revealing than my BA3B/SalasBIb. Depth about the same although I feel the sound has moved a bit forward but the separation is outstanding. All the positions of the performers seem correct. A bit of harshness in the violins but I bet after 100 hrs that will be gone.

Thank you Salas for sharing your designs with us and for your very generous support. Thanks Tea-Bag for another excellent PCB production and for all the effort taken in providing matched parts.

nash

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    845 KB · Views: 576
  • 001 (2).jpg
    001 (2).jpg
    990.2 KB · Views: 559
  • 003 (2).jpg
    003 (2).jpg
    986.1 KB · Views: 556
  • 002 (2).jpg