Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

With the top cover on, the regulator heat sinks run quite a bit hotter. I'd estimate close to 60C, whereas they were only warm without. Since the dissipation per device is only 1.5W, thermal drop from junction to heatsink should be minimal, so I'm not too worried about it. Overall, the chassis remains only slightly warm and electrolytics aren't getting hot at all. I don't think there's any problem, but it's a reminder that there are tradeoffs packaging in a small chassis.

This would allow each half of the balanced pair to act as a virtual ground to the other which seems like it would improve the balanced operation. This is the way most balanced instrumentation amps are configured.

I think I will give it a try in my build and see how well it works.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I had made some relevant simulations few years ago I found in my files. If you mean normal BAL connections as at the picture's left vs those at the picture's right (BAL_RR). There is also a summation amp on both types outputs to aid those sims so ignore it. Don't know, maybe the charts are helpful to you, although theoretical.

Attachments

• dcg3bal_types.png
    dcg3bal_types.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 250
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
...On the other hand linking the two phases circuits feedback return points with a resistor involves widened loop area vs local resistors to ground. Since its about two sizeable discrete preamps, not like with smd op-amp chips to could make a tiny block. Maybe increased chances of picking interference. You will see how it will work and what you will prefer in practice.

Yes, exactly. Do you see any reason not to go this way?

Tying the two R7 resistors together of each channel instead of their going to ground produced a hum in my balanced build. At the time Salas had mentioned to cut the common ground between the two halves of the board to see whether that solved the issue but I did not bother to try and reverted back to R7 to ground.
Is your shunt attenuator a 4 section unit or a two section with the shunt between the phases?
nash

Small progress... im waiting a few parts RCA -Pot Tocos 20K- Emi filter-knobs-UP68 Im playing with chinise 2sk170 - 12ma very pleased...

Attachments

• IMGP0026.jpg
    IMGP0026.jpg
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMGP0027.jpg
    IMGP0027.jpg
    985.5 KB · Views: 231
  • IMGP0028.jpg
    IMGP0028.jpg
    767 KB · Views: 208
  • IMGP0030.jpg
    IMGP0030.jpg