Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

I agree. The left channel stubbornly refuses to oscillate. I'm thinking there may be an outright defect in a component. I'd say the odds are close to 100% if I build up another of these boards I won't see this problem again.

I tried to look for oscillation in the regulator, but didn't find anything conclusive. The 13MHz tends to pollute everything once it starts, so it's hard to determine the source. Between the regs and the signal circuitry there's a heck of a lot of gain on that breadboard.

I cut the gate traces right next to the input devices and installed 100 Ohm 0805 SMD resistors. I was surprised as heck that this made the oscillation much worse. It seems like I can can damp it out entirely by the judicious application of my finger.

I think the problem is my layout. I think there's capacitive coupling from the output stage to the gate of J2 and that's the issue. I might be able to disconnect the suspect trace tomorrow. We'll see.

This is great entertainment. Much more fun than politics.

Μy DCG3 comes slowly....

Attachments

• IMG_20201129_192641_754.jpg
    IMG_20201129_192641_754.jpg
    895.9 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Salas, about deciding the size of ubibs R1 resistors when feeding DCG-3 (double ubibs)
I have 150mA bias, so:
for negative boards 150mA+100mA= 250mA (R1=2.4 ohm)
For positive boards 300mA+100mA= 400mA (R1=1.5 ohm)

Is this correct?

I have huge sinks ( a-class amp case), so heat will not be problem.

What size transformers I need? Maybe 2x 60VA 2x18V outputs?
(Toroidy supreme audio v2 are tempting me)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mills are very good. I put flexible footprint at the UBiB R1 area so you can use practical to find parts within reasonable size. Not that a higher Watt part is a problem, just not necessary in moderate mA settings cases where you can still find smaller/cheaper.

Most smaller ones stop availability at 10R. There are exceptions like the Takman REY75 1W list bottoming out at 2.2R for instance. For 1.5R it would take two in parallel i.e. 3R//3R.