Richard Lee's Ultra low Noise MC Head Amp

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The issue here syn08 is that you say there is no justification for the 20ms GD figure but offer no data for your counter claim. Did Holman offer any evidence for his claim? He plotted a number of limits in the famous figure 7 and did some listening tests and made a recommendation.

Other than refute his claim and kick up a fuss, what have you done to support your claim? do you have a paper you can point us to? some math?

I see you are using the same tactics as our dearly departed Mr. W on the CFA thing.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
He is right, there is no evidence. At this point the sensible thing to do is agree with the caveat that you can get low GD therefore why not and park it as it would need a new thread to thrash it out as well as a literature search. Maybe there is something published in the last 50 years that advances the knowledge. Sub 50Hz GD certainly does not keep me awake at night.

The issue here syn08 is that you say there is no justification for the 20ms GD figure but offer no data for your counter claim. Did Holman offer any evidence for his claim? He plotted a number of limits in the famous figure 7 and did some listening tests and made a recommendation.

Other than refute his claim and kick up a fuss, what have you done to support your claim? do you have a paper you can point us to? some math?

I see you are using the same tactics as our dearly departed Mr. W on the CFA thing.

Did I claim anything except of "no support data"? Should I prove that Mr. Tomlinson's 20mS criteria is wrong? That's a Jakob(x) type of FUD argument.

Since when can a negative be proven, and where is the burden of proof for any extraordinary claim, clearly colliding with the existing body of knowledge? Hint: Mr. Tomlinson being absent, the burden of proof is on those unconditionally supporting his claim. Do you have the supporting data? No? Too bad.

I'll mention your name next time I'll meet Mr. W, I am sure you would not want to hear about his reaction.

P.S. Nice to hear you now appreciate math as a valid proof. Last times you encountered it (here and in your beloved CFA thread) you royally ignored/dismissed/snubbed all the written math proof.

Last edited:
Whatever group delay variations exist, they'll be a sum of the contributions of the fundamental resonance, the preamp's high-pass filter, and whatever occurred making the record. A fancy-enough DSP could maybe back out of the first two if really important. FM problems excepted.

To me the only important thing is to properly place the F-res and its Q. Measuring this is possible by driving the stylus with a variable frequency motor. I tried once (the proverbial 40 years ago) using a tweeter with its outer suspension cut away lots, which was talked about at the time, but had dangerous magnetic field issues. Don't try this at home kids.

All good fortune,
Chris

To me the only important thing is to properly place the F-res and its Q. Measuring this is possible by driving the stylus with a variable frequency motor. I tried once (the proverbial 40 years ago) using a tweeter with its outer suspension cut away lots, which was talked about at the time, but had dangerous magnetic field issues. Don't try this at home kids.

I tried once the same using a piezo speaker I pulled from a dead quartz watch. Don't remember any relevant results.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Did I claim anything except of "no support data"? Should I prove that Mr. Tomlinson's 20mS criteria is wrong? That's a Jakob(x) type of FUD argument.

Since when can a negative be proven, and where is the burden of proof for any extraordinary claim, clearly colliding with the existing body of knowledge? Hint: Mr. Tomlinson being absent, the burden of proof is on those unconditionally supporting his claim. Do you have the supporting data? No? Too bad.

I'll mention your name next time I'll meet Mr. W, I am sure you would not want to hear about his reaction.

P.S. Nice to hear you now appreciate math as a valid proof. Last times you encountered it (here and in your beloved CFA thread) you royally ignored/dismissed/snubbed all the written math proof.

I’ve asked you for the ‘existing body of knowledge ‘ on GD but you just get angrier and more irrational (eg claiming/imagining things that never took place on the CFA thread) by the minute. You are in FUD overdrive and it’s only Tuesday.

In the absence of any guidance or considered and reflective input on the subject from you I’ll have assume TH’s views to be valid for the time being.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
‘ clearly colliding with the existing body of knowledge?’

Where’s the ‘existing body of knowledge’ TH’s recommendation is colliding with Syn08.

Simple question.

Of course you don’t have it do you. Typical.

Anyway, very late here. Goodnight. You’ve been Highly entertaining as always.

‘ clearly colliding with the existing body of knowledge?’

Where’s the ‘existing body of knowledge’ TH’s recommendation is colliding with Syn08.

Look at (surprise, surprise) Fig. 7. It clearly shows the “limit of audibility” (labelled 1) and the “German Broadcast standard” (labelled 2) while the text provides a credible reference about, numbered 16a. More than one order of magnitude over TH “recommendation”. That’s pretty much “existing body of knowledge” and can’t do much better than rubbing your nose on it.

Since you seem to be into the authority belief system, may I suggest getting some Bybees. They are recommended by the famous JC and is also colliding with syn08.

Last edited:
Here is some more “existing body of knowledge``.
Quote:

'Back to frequency-dependent delay…
The subjective effect of excessive group delay is a “loosening” of the bass or a “less dry” bass quality. Currently there is insufficient psychoacoustic research on the threshold of group delay at low frequencies. One value is known: 2.5 ms at 100 Hz ....'

end quote

This is a factor 10 lower than the curves in the TH paper show. If we take a factor of 10 lower, then the 20ms requirement is not an arbitrary number anymore.

I found this on a web page of the Neumann company (yes, the Neumann company beeing known for their studio microphones and monitoring speakers). The article is about group delay at low frequencies for studio monitor speaker systems.
Here the link: Georg Neumann GmbH - Professional Monitoring
Assuming these guys are knowledgable, this is confirming my suspicion that the 'audible limit' and 'german post and broadcast standards' by far are not valid for HiFi reproduction. These standards have been established in the 50's for acceptable limits for telephone landlines which they named 'audible limit' (at that time the german post was a federal agency and they were the 'gods' setting telecommunication transmission standards). The broadcast people (broadcasting at that time was also a federal affair - no private stations) simply had to accept this - live transmissions in the 50`s and 60's from a stadium or a concert hall had to use landlines to transmit signals to the broadcast station.

The word HiFi was not even invented. The standard curves all end at 50 Hz - simple reason: no signals below 50 Hz were ever transmitted. The later german DIN standard for HiFi systems required a bandwith of 50 Hz to 12.5 kHz with +/-3dB variation allowed. These were the limits the upcoming FM broadcasting just could garantee. Such a system by today's standard would be named 'crap'.

Last edited:
You are right
we should stop this in my view useless discussion as nobody here wants to build excessive filtering into the MC headamp. Setting up TT, tonearm and cart correctly is by far the best measure to avoid infrasonic signals leading to modulations of the wanted signals.

And as already mentioned several times: no filter can remove the distortions if they already are produced in the cartridge itself.

If somebody is really interested in digging into the GD field for low frequency he should start a new thread. Available program material containing real music notes below 30 Hz is in the promille range. And reproduction systems going that low in normal living rooms are also rare

Last edited:
Sigh. How many pages now of no discussion of low noise MC stages?

Can I assume for those versed in the art it would be fairly trivial to filter a music file of known LF content adding increasing GD to see if any of us old grey cloth ears can actually hear it?
I fully agree that it is a non issue and should not be discussed in this thread to such a length.
If you want to stop your membranes from flapping and prevent IM modulation because of that, use a rumble filter, period.

In all cases a 3rd order is good enough and that's all there is to know.
When you have full range Electrostatic speakers, you won't even need a rumble filter.

Hans

The subjective effect of excessive group delay is a “loosening” of the bass or a “less dry” bass quality. Currently there is insufficient psychoacoustic research on the threshold of group delay at low frequencies. One value is known: 2.5 ms at 100 Hz ....'

Certainly a step forward rather than syn08’s never ending barrage of FUD based on pure conjecture.

Speakers and turntables, apples and oranges. But enough of this, agreed. Bonsai is right and I am wrong, ok?

bill, I should caution that this is appears to be the lesser Leach variant from #311 rather than true Duraglit. But it's a simple (?!!) matter to remove 6 bits and change 2 resistors to get the, at least 3dB, Vni improvement of true Duraglit. :) It's likely PSR is also improved but I would want to confirm this in real life. There is no evidence that lesser variants give the advantages for World Peace and better sex life of true Duraglit. :D
Sorry, wrong on all counts. Do yourself a favour and save some embarrassment by looking closely to the schematic.
My apologies. syn08's variant is in #375 not #311.

syn08, are you referring to yet another variant?. #375 shows an "adapted current mirrored version of the Leach". It is certainly possible to simplify & improve that by moving to true Duraglit ... especially with a real life MC cartridge

Your lesser version is the likely reason you have not experienced improvements in World Peace and a better sex life. :)

Does anyone consider, for instance, that the extreme groove velocities quoted are not even remotely trackable and are generating so much volume and distortion that it could not matter anyway?
at the risk of generalising ... the audible effect of mistracking is very different from amp clipping. Those of us who played with the original Shure Obstacle Course records will have some experience of this.
AES E-Library >> On the Audibility of Midrange Phase Distortion in Audio Systems

Double Blind Listening Tests on stuff like this is often a 2 stage process. First you determine if the effect is reliably audible .. with loadsa caveats about the conditions, the people who can truly tell the difference vs da wannabe Golden Pinnae bla bla

ONLY if the answer is 'yes' to this first question, do you ask the second, which is "Which do you prefer?". The answer isn't always expected.

There was a lot more work on 'linear phase' which isn't in my paper but (generalising) loadsa group delay is often preferred by those who can tell the difference.

However, as a speaker man, the audible benefits of vinyl playback HP filtering are certainly real for da Xmax issues. I would ALWAYS build in drastic HP filters for vinyl playback.

In da early 70s, the Radford Transmission Lines were the first domestic speakers with true flat response below 30Hz. ALL their amps from that period had 40Hz HP filters which couldn't be switched off :eek: cos customers complained about dishes rattling on warps.

My apologies. syn08's variant is in #375 not #311.

syn08, are you referring to yet another variant?. #375 shows an "adapted current mirrored version of the Leach". It is certainly possible to simplify & improve that by moving to true Duraglit ... especially with a real life MC cartridge

Your lesser version is the likely reason you have not experienced improvements in World Peace and a better sex life. :)

Jeeeeezzzz Richard, can't you just LOOK at the #375 schematic? The right side transistors have absolutely nothing to do with noise. They are there only for the purpose of defining the left side (gain) complementary devices DC bias. The right side Q101/Q103 could be the noisiest transistors known to mankind, their overall noise contribution will still be zero. The main advantage of this approach is that matching (for beta, Vbe) the low noise complementary devices is not required, also the bias is beta independent. The only extra noise contribution is half of the left side pair emitter resistor, that is 0.5ohm. I think we can agree this is a negligible noise price to pay.

Last edited: