Ricci's Skhorn Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Faital 18XL1600, 8 ohms is available here and relatively cheap. So building the Skhorn is a natural choice. My questions are about sound directivity and polar pattern; if one desires lower tuning by closing one port, how would that affect both directivity and pattern? Even with all 4 ports open and say 4 cabs, what is the recommended stacking profile and corresponding sound directivity and polar pattern? Thanks in advance.

Ricci, I'd like to get the plans for CNC routing through mail, cred_audio@rediffmail.com Thanks again.

Hello Sam. The plans are free to download at my site now.

As far as directivity goes this is a large subwoofer. It is not going to exhibit much operating below 100Hz. The wavelengths are too large. It is not a cardoid design or anything like that. Would be similar to a double 18 vented of close to the same shape and dimensions. Closing off ports will have virtually no change.

Another keystone guy intrigued about building one of these to hit those low edm notes. Osse if you build one can you let me know how it compares to the keystones. The ease of build of the keystone still has me, but some additional lowend could be the ticket.

Last edited:
Art was working on a taller version of the Keystone that would naturally have a longer path length and lower corner. Could be the ticket if you need to reach lower but like the Keystone design. Not sure if he's posted drawings, but it shouldn't be much more complex than simply scaling up the vertical dimension.

Another keystone guy intrigued about building one of these to hit those low edm notes. Osse if you build one can you let me know how it compares to the keystones. The ease of build of the keystone still has me, but some additional lowend could be the ticket.

Hi treukauf, this is a project me and a friend are realizing together, right now he's about to buy a 130x180cm CNC for us to cut the files from, I'm not sure when this will be, and while I'm curious about the Skhorn I'm also very satisfied with my Keystones hence I'm in no hurry :)

Could possibly be sometime next year, maybe earlier.

I'll update you when we're making some progress

So far I can only think of 4 people who have these and I am 1 of the people. Not too many people will have user feedback yet.

18SW115 should work quite well in this cab.
I just Joined your site Josh. And thanks for the prompt response by the way!

Yes I really want to build one of these. Do you know of the Cubo18? Have you ever compared its performance with your designs? I happened to build a pair of Cubo15 and found the results were great. Was thinking to put the SW115 in Cubos, BUT THEN I came across this design and it intrigues me immensely. First I was looking at the OT horn, but that goes to low for my primary style of music (Soca, dancehall, EDM). sO I AM VERY INTERESTED IN THESE!!

Thanks again for our patience.

I just Joined your site Josh. And thanks for the prompt response by the way!

Yes I really want to build one of these. Do you know of the Cubo18? Have you ever compared its performance with your designs? I happened to build a pair of Cubo15 and found the results were great. Was thinking to put the SW115 in Cubos, BUT THEN I came across this design and it intrigues me immensely. First I was looking at the OT horn, but that goes to low for my primary style of music (Soca, dancehall, EDM). sO I AM VERY INTERESTED IN THESE!!

Thanks again for our patience.

I have heard of the Cubo but have never used, heard or tested one. Do you have a link to data or specs on it, or a Horn Response inputs for a simulation?

I have heard of the Cubo but have never used, heard or tested one. Do you have a link to data or specs on it, or a Horn Response inputs for a simulation?

Here is a link to the specifications from the designer:
Cubo 18

Surprisingly simple and compact! The one I built, works great. I compared it to a normal reflex 18 in real life, and it actually sounded louder!

Cubo%2018%20Measurements(1).png

Here is a link to the specifications from the designer:
Cubo 18

Cubo%2018%20Measurements(1).png

I appreciate the effort but I would need details like the driver used and dimensioned cabinet drawings, or the HR inputs for simulating it at least. Not enough info in the excel chart to tell much of anything. Looks like it is voltage sensitivity measurements normalized against the voltage sensitivity of a ported 18, but without details of each cab and the testing it doesn't mean much to me.

Last edited:
EDIT: 02/20/18
I have improved the accuracy of HR simulation inputs when compared to the measured ground-plane performance of the final speaker. The preliminary HR inputs in the first post are not nearly as accurate as those developed after testing the final cab, which are posted here. If wishing to simulate this cab design use the inputs for the Skhorn cab from this post. (Note: The HR inputs below are using the B&C 21-Ipal drivers, which are what I built and tested. The cab can be run with any of the 3 vent tunings of approximately 18, 25 and 29Hz shown below.)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

EDIT: 02/20/18
I have improved the accuracy of HR simulation inputs when compared to the measured ground-plane performance of the final speaker. The preliminary HR inputs in the first post are not nearly as accurate as those developed after testing the final cab, which are posted here. If wishing to simulate this cab design use the inputs for the Skhorn cab from this post. (Note: The HR inputs below are using the B&C 21-Ipal drivers, which are what I built and tested. The cab can be run with any of the 3 vent tunings of approximately 18, 25 and 29Hz shown below.)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Every time a coconut :fight: "Invalid attachment"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.