Ricci's Skhorn Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not entirely sure about that really. The literature imply that the sensor placement and polarity are crucial or instability will result. I would think that as long as the drivers are operating in phase into a common throat that the dpc sensor could be placed normally. However the drivers are mounted face to face and 180deg out mechanically. I've attempted to ask PS about sensor placement and operation with throat chambers and multiple driver arrangements but they ignored every question I've ever sent them. Unless you are an engineer with a huge customer for them, good luck getting any detailed information. Either that or they simply don't have the answers.
I am trying to get those answers too. From what I know until now, one can either use the DPC sensor or can use the flexible parameters, but I am not sure they can be both used at the same time. Probably when used in a horn, one can use only the adaptive parameters.

The adaptive parameters don't really interest me much. I won't be using them. Sure you can use advanced dsp to emulate a driver with certain performance characteristics but only up to a point where the driver or amplifier become a limiting factor. It cannot make the driver handle more power, have more linear excursion or change its efficiency. Likewise for the amplifier. As with any other type of normal dsp manipulation it only holds up until some limit is met after which it will start to revert to the ceiling of the native behavior and capabilities. If you design for the capabilities of the amplifier and driver to be what they are to begin with, the adaptive dsp shouldn't be needed much. It's a really cool technology which can do some very advanced things but I'd rather achieve the performance goals without heavy dsp if possible.

Little bit of an update. I have the cabs and have the 21-ipal's loaded into one. I've started on some preliminary testing. Some pics and impedance measurements below. I'm using wooden covers to block the vents and lower tuning but they are a bit leaky in the impedance measurements below. I'm going to figure out a way to get a better more solid seal and rerun them. I expect it will clean up and increase the magnitude of the low frequency peak below tuning a bit.

Cheers :drink:

SKHORN 804.jpg

SKHORN 807.jpg

SKHORN 809.jpg

SKHORN 909.jpg

SKHORN 905.jpg

SKHORN 811.jpg

SKHORN 911.jpg

Skhorn 3 VENT HR IMP VS MEASURED.jpg

Skhorn 2 VENT HR IMP VS MEASURED.jpg

Skhorn 1 VENT HR IMP VS MEASURED.jpg

Hey Josh,

I've been using a Behringer UMC202HD for measurements recently and I've found it very good for what's needed, and they can be had remarkably cheaply.
I'm not affiliated with Behringer, but I do like some of their products. You'll probably want something nicer ;)

Very jealous of the IPAL drivers. Serious bits of kit.

Chris

Hey Epa. I haven't decided yet. I'm probably going to try a normal baffle placement first. Start testing with small signals and work up towards higher levels slowly while monitoring. Make sure that is stable. If not I'll have to adjust until it is. That's a ways off though. I'm going to do regular amp testing first with an SP-12000 and a K20. I can do that first. Then I can take my time with the IPAL module doing tweaking and investigation.

Impressive creation! Josh, did you consider Push-pull loading during your design process?

I did not. It would cause an imbalance in the loading on the drivers and cones and complicate the throat area resulting in a larger more complicated cabinet. Any minor reduction in even order harmonic distortion would be offset by increased complexity and potential system instability. Modeling says that pressures in the throat may reach upwards of 14000Pa during testing. The B&C drivers already have very low distortion and the loading of this design I expect will result in harmonic distortion levels being quite low even at concert level output. we will see though.

Last edited:
I just posted all of the measurements from this cabinet with the 21Ipal drivers at DB for those interested in the objective data. No testing notes yet but those will be added later.

Testing was done as an active system with a Speakerpower Torpedo 6000 module with all available cabinet tunings and also with the usual Powersoft K20-DSP used with passive cabs. Testing with 21DS115-4 drivers will follow later this summer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.