Ricci's Skhorn Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all!

I'm building four skhorns and have purchased 21sw152s for two of them and I happen have four 18sw115s floating around. Is there a "best practice" for building 18" reducers so that I can have all four of these up and running? I want to be able to go 21s on all four eventually but cost is an issue for now..

Thanks!

Hey all!

I'm building four skhorns and have purchased 21sw152s for two of them and I happen have four 18sw115s floating around. Is there a "best practice" for building 18" reducers so that I can have all four of these up and running? I want to be able to go 21s on all four eventually but cost is an issue for now..

Thanks!

I have built reducers for the Othorn before. It was basically a baffle insert that bolted an 18" cutout baffle to a 21" driver cutout. Something similar could work for the Skhorn but I'm not completely sure there is enough room. Alternatively you could cut for 18" drivers and enlarge the holes for the 21's later. It may not be a perfect CNC'd hole for the 21's but you should be able to get it good enough with some specialized tools and ingenuity.

hello ppl,

we are thinking about building either the othorn, palehorn or skhorn. All of these are interesting for us as infra (30 Hz - 60Hz) subs to our Limmer B215s.

In our club the skhorn would be overkill, would it be possible to just build a half one? I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work?

If that is not feasable, is the Palehorn an improvement to the Othorn?

Otherwise are there comparable measurements between othorn and skhorn. Since the othorn is smaller and is the same size as our limmers it would be very interesting to know where the advantages are?

kind regards

finn

If that is not feasable, is the Palehorn an improvement to the Othorn?

That Palehorn is an interesting fold. Looks like a THAM-style design with an extra fold. I've seen it somewhere before...

As illustrated it looks like a single-expansion TH, but I can see how, like the THAM, it can be converted to a dual-expansion TH, which makes the layout, and therefore the driver choice, a bit more flexible. Hmm... I think I'll do an optimization workbook for it, to see if it has any advantages over the basic THAM fold.

Why do you think the SKHorn is overkill though?

That Palehorn is an interesting fold. Looks like a THAM-style design with an extra fold. I've seen it somewhere before...

As illustrated it looks like a single-expansion TH, but I can see how, like the THAM, it can be converted to a dual-expansion TH, which makes the layout, and therefore the driver choice, a bit more flexible. Hmm... I think I'll do an optimization workbook for it, to see if it has any advantages over the basic THAM fold.

Why do you think the SKHorn is overkill though?

We don't need an infra that powerfull, hence the question If half an skhorn would work.

I used that fold style on the Gjallarhorn V2 also. I'm sure others have used similar in the past. There's only so many ways to fold these things into a workable cab!

Was the Palehorn ever published for free? I recall Josh wanted "to keep it" and he wasn´t fully satisfied, which lead to the sk Horn.

You are correct. I never published it. It wasn't enough of an improvement over the Othorn.

hello ppl,

In our club the skhorn would be overkill, would it be possible to just build a half one? I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work?

Otherwise are there comparable measurements between othorn and skhorn. Since the othorn is smaller and is the same size as our limmers it would be very interesting to know where the advantages are?

kind regards

finn

The Skhorn is a dual driver mirrored design so technically it could be cut in half and built. It would be quite small for a 21" pro cab at 24x32x27 if cut in half. I have a single driver design that is sized up a bit, with a different layout but it is only about 85% done. I haven't had time to finalize it.

You can compare the measured performance of the Othorn and Skhorn at Data-Bass. I've uploaded full sets of measurements for both cabs. I like the Skhorn better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.