Revisiting some "old" ideas from 1970's - IPS, OPS

I agree with the rest, with addition that in some cases, some other (better?) places of offset control may be found - for example, in the design with symmetric CCSs feeding the diamond, great thing to control is the CCSs' currents balance (servo moves it up or down, zeroing-out DC at the output).
Not a different topic. I am asking if I have misunderstood the phase of the correction that gets applied to the _IN node.
i.e. another misunderstanding of the way AC electronics works.
My list of misunderstood topics keeps growing !

So,offset controller is wrong designed.

Likely if you were to see the whole schematic, OS would have a voltage applied to the NFB signal in the simulation to test the servo. The initial offset needs to be coming from somewhere.

If you look at the design, the input transistors would balance out if a pot was installed between R8, R9 and R10 to trim offset.

I agree with the rest, with addition that in some cases, some other (better?) places of offset control may be found - for example, in the design with symmetric CCSs feeding the diamond, great thing to control is the CCSs' currents balance (servo moves it up or down, zeroing-out DC at the output).
Not a different topic. I am asking if I have misunderstood the phase of the correction that gets applied to the -IN node.
i.e. another misunderstanding of the way AC electronics works.
My list of misunderstood topics keeps growing !

No, there is something else that is causing the need for this excessively high correction signal. Disconnect the servo and investigate.
This already done.(servo disconnected).
Offset without servo is 2.5mV.

Attachments

• DSC08362.jpg
    DSC08362.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC08363.jpg
    DSC08363.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 212
Likely if you were to see the whole schematic, OS would have a voltage applied to the NFB signal in the simulation to test the servo. The initial offset needs to be coming from somewhere.

If you look at the design, the input transistors would balance out if a pot was installed between R8, R9 and R10 to trim offset.
The original sch in post1523 is correct, except for that high voltage and the need for 1:1 resistors to apply that big correction.
The revised values shown in post1553 is not good. It appears to have fudged component values without curing the cause that requires the high correction voltage.

What are the voltages at those nodes and across those resistors?
AnderewT that is.
Jeff, without servo offset goes to 2.5mV instantly!

Attachments

• symasui-NO SERVO.JPG
    symasui-NO SERVO.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 251
  • SYM NO SERVO 10V OUT.PNG
    SYM NO SERVO 10V OUT.PNG
    122.2 KB · Views: 238
  • NO SERVO SPECTRA.PNG
    NO SERVO SPECTRA.PNG
    121 KB · Views: 102
  • NO SERVO 82W SP.PNG
    NO SERVO 82W SP.PNG
    122.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 100W RMS SP.PNG
    100W RMS SP.PNG
    123.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
It looks like a great amplifier as is. No real need for the servo.
I Think so;)
In these two measurements a real 3 way speaker was used as load.
The last one without any load.

Attachments

• 10V REAL SPEAKER.PNG
    10V REAL SPEAKER.PNG
    124.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 7V REAL SPEAKER.PNG
    7V REAL SPEAKER.PNG
    122.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 25 V NO SERVO NO LOAD.PNG
    25 V NO SERVO NO LOAD.PNG
    119.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Testing Symasui Survivor+NS using RMAA

RMAA test Report.

Attachments

• symasui details.PNG
    symasui details.PNG
    23 KB · Views: 117
  • frequency response.PNG
    frequency response.PNG
    22.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Dynamic range.PNG
    Dynamic range.PNG
    26.5 KB · Views: 87
  • noise level.PNG
    noise level.PNG
    26.2 KB · Views: 83
  • THD+Noise -3db.PNG
    THD+Noise -3db.PNG
    26.5 KB · Views: 89
  • imd.PNG
    imd.PNG
    26.2 KB · Views: 93
  • imd swept tones.PNG
    imd swept tones.PNG
    21.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
-160mVdc at the input node cannot be right.
It should be a +ve voltage, because the base current comes from the +ve supply through R2 to Signal Ground and thence through R3 to Power Ground.
Check the voltage @ R3, looks like it is ~+3mVdc reference the Power Ground and 0.0mVdc reference the Signal Ground.
3mV indicates 300uA flowing from Signal Ground to Power Ground. This could be adjusted to be quite a bit less, but I don't know how it varies with temperature. Worth checking when cold, warm, hot.

Same error for the -147mVdc voltage.

Last edited: