Replacement For Toshiba 2SK170/2SJ74

James,

almost all Pass projects are built around 8-10mA Idss, I am sure that they are exceptions.

Why don't you just ask in the relative thread what the other, maybe more experienced "Pass builders" are using once you are settled on a specific design.

Heretic article (post 1) and security leak right here:

Beyond the J Fringe

Max

Max,

I have already the B1 and Pearl 2.

The reason I posted this here is I thought it was the right place based on the thread topic and seeing some names of the posters here which in my humble opinion are some top tier thinkers I have run across when I am over here.

I think I all set at this time, and thanks again for time and help.

James

hanair, Gregho,

There are such projects where you can save some $$ on the input JFETs that have become rare...

Look up the M2X project if you fancy. :)

There are others too on the solid state section. :)

But do note that the input JFETs represent only a part of the total cost of a typical class A project. Usually the chassis is quite expensive due to size and heat-sinking. And the power supply too... And Class A generates a lot of heat - some would say that this path is impractical altogether! :spin: :D

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I wish if there were practical class-A designs where you don't need these premium priced parts. Paying $50 for 4 TO-92 transistors are kind of insane. The current pricing will kill DIY spirit. Most serious DIY'ers won't settle with just one amplifier build.
You could focus your DIY efforts on projects by different circuit designers, who never use Toshiba JFETs. Turn away from Nelson Pass, Wayne Colburn, Zen Mod, and the whole Pass Labs "house standard" way of building audio gear ... which almost always includes Toshiba JFETs.

Maybe you'll be inspired by the M2x project in the diyAudio Store, which took a Nelson Pass Class-A amp with Toshiba JFETs, got rid of those JFETs, and provided the builder with 4 other options. (Today, the number of options has grown to 7). Some of them use Fairchild JFETs, some with bipolars, some with ICs, but none with unobtanium Toshiba JFETs.

If you don't want Toshiba JFETs, you don't want Pass Labs projects. Sorry to say it so bluntly.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ZM is cheapskate

he's using readily available Toshiba JFets, easy and cheap, even if getting more expensive if you sneeze while getting them on the bench

:rofl:

though, everything our Resident Grumpy wrote stays, solid as rock

.......... one can always resort to build with Telefunkens, plenty of freshly labeled around

:clown:

........ Pa is not saying that enough - Toshibas/LS are dirt cheap, taking in account which level of simplification they're allowing, while not losing in performance

decent ..... or Boutique OP prices.......

decent ..... or Boutique caps prices.......

decent ..... or Boutique termination thingies prices.......

decent ..... or Boutique Audiophool fuses prices.......

decent ..... or Boutique resistors prices.......

decent ..... or Boutique wire prices.......

naah ....... NOS JFets are still cheap

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I wish if there were practical class-A designs where you don't need these premium priced parts. Paying $50 for 4 TO-92 transistors are kind of insane. The current pricing will kill DIY spirit. Most serious DIY'ers won't settle with just one amplifier build.

Bravo!! I think so too.

some examples of decent sounding amps, not involving JFets:

Musical Fidelity A1 - just OS (line stage part is drek, avoid)

NEM AI-50 (though, little tricky with all that Iron and interstage)

any of simpler amps with Hitachi laterals in OS, biased little higher; replacements for Hitachis are dirt cheap

at least 5 amps floating in Papaland, made without tiny JFet buggers ........ too sleepy now to search for them; anyway, venerable BC546/550/556/560 are still able to surprise, when used with care

not to mention JLH basic amp and all derivatives ......

and not to mention numerous broken or neglected second hand factory made amps, being great base for dirt cheap killer amp project .......

I didn't dare... I would have been talking about tube prices in my rant...

Damn near cried when I dropped one of my matched Mullard XF2’s.

Pair of NOS Tung-Sol 6550’s about a 700 buck setback. Or by “new” 6550’s and have my guitar sound worse than I already do.

Off topic:
If anyone know of a nice tube amp that does not cost a ton to build (I know that’s realities), I you could send me a PM on it that would be great.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I still have some quad/octets of matched 2SK170-BL (and -GR), as well as a couple of 2SK170/2SJ170 quads, up for sale. Follow the links in my signature to see what is left.
Of course genuine Toshiba NOS, and I believe at a reasonable price considering the rarity of the devices and the effort put into matching.

PM if interested as I do not want to OT this "replacement" thread.

Cheers,
Nic

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member

AlphaNirvana AN39, all parts available, 39 watts classA amp, boards from X.

You should really be asking for traces rather than photos;)
But anyway, ask by PM, as this is a thread about replacements for what I'm selling.

I have ordered many things from NicMac, and always got what was promised.
(not in relation to him in any direction)

Sorry for the request but there are too much fakes and I hadn't the opportunity to see Nick's posts before. I asked for photos because the risk on the bay is other than have a GR instead of a BL...