rePhase, a loudspeaker phase linearization, EQ and FIR filtering tool

Are you sure there is not other measurement export format aside from this proprietary one?

It might be outdated, but Ram-Audio did describe a text format in the manual for their S series DSP solution, page 37 here:
http://ramaudio.com/pdf/RAM_DSP_S_Soft_manual.pdf

To export a text file, go to File, and choose ASCII Save and then select which of the curves
stored you want to export (A, B, C, D or E). The format accepted will be the following one.
Code:
; SIA SmaartLive Trace Output
; This File Created On Thursday October 16, 2008, At 10:02:50
;
; Comment:
;
;
;
; --------------- Reference Trace C ---------------
;
; Comment: "No Comment"
; Sample Rate: 48000
; FFT: FPPO
; Frequency Resolution: 24 points per octave
; Data Window: Hanning
; Y +/-: 0.0
; 64 average(s)
;
;
; Frequency (Hz) Magnitude (dB) Phase (degrees)
11.7 *** ***
13.2 -44.42 -141.68
14.6 -45.07 -56.92
16.1 -44.46 1.39
17.6 -43.83 11.76

This format will not be accepted by rephase's current version, because of the "***" values, but it would be easy to handle.

Cool, the Rajapruk-edition! Thanks.

I did a kind of Linkwitz-transform yesterday in rePhase. Loosely based on the simulations of my LF-boxes. I will use this now until measurements begins.

I am in the middle of a DIY-project. LF-boxes are done. Waiting for HF-boxes to be ready. Using JBL LSR305 as top temporarily. Sounds pretty great actually. LSR305 really benefits of not having to play low frequencies.

High-passed, the 305 is a pretty darned good solution! They really do outperform many systems at a variety of pricepoints, and their price is absurdly low. I have a bright red pair that I need to put back to use :)

Hi Pos:
I'm curious about the overlapping crossover filters I see in the linear phase filters tab of rePhase. Do you have any background on them you can share?
Thanks,
Jack

Hi Jack

These filters, when used symmetrically on a flat response curve (ie acoustical filter), provide a perfectly complementary crossover, with an overlapping area (-6dB) between 1/2 and 3 octaves wide.

I never used them myself, but I thought it could be useful for things like Wayne Parham's flanking subs, where you want several drivers to play together in certain areas.
So for example instead of crossing over to a pair of subs at say 100Hz, you could use a 2 octave-wide overlapping crossover at that same frequency and have both the mains and subs play together in the ~50Hz to 200Hz area and smooth room modes effects in that area.

If i want to build an active filter could i use software to split high pass and low pass and then use two stereo USB DA converters and leth each of them handle either lp or hp filtered digital signal?

Instead of using a 4-6 channel USB DA converter i want to use several two channels.
I would find that more convenient...
And of course let rePhase do phase correction in the host PC.

If i want to build an active filter could i use software to split high pass and low pass and then use two stereo USB DA converters and leth each of them handle either lp or hp filtered digital signal?

Instead of using a 4-6 channel USB DA converter i want to use several two channels.
I would find that more convenient...
And of course let rePhase do phase correction in the host PC.

I'm not aware of a host that lets you send different channels to different output devices. Maybe someone else is though.

Hello colleagues,
I have some questions regarding best practices for EQ in room with rePhase.

I have a 3way with EqApo active sistem, 18" OB 60/80cm baffle, sealed 12", 1" CD with horn above. XO points now are 125Hz and 1400Hz.

Reading this thread I see that there are 2 options regarding data to start with: close range measurement and multiple measurements at ListeningPosition.
Also some say not to correct phase bellow 100Hz (i think SwissBear in his .pdf posted 1 year ago).

I have tried both methods, close and LP measurements. The LP measurements have phase wraps that are not present on close measurements, for <800Hz range.

So I wonder If LP measurement is the correct one,is it OK to correct something that nearfield is not present? Also what do you think about phase correction for under 100hz region?

I hear improvement in the <200hz range with FIR over IIR on some records. I don't hear any pre-ring of the OB bass unit.

Thank you!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm not aware of a host that lets you send different channels to different output devices. Maybe someone else is though.
I think it can be down with some routing plugins. It's been discussed before here (I think). Generally tho it's considered a better idea to use a multi-channel device.
Why would you want to use a group of 2 channel DACs? Cost, features, something else?

I have some questions regarding best practices for EQ in room with rePhase.

My understanding is that it is a loudspeaker crossover and phase correction tool, not for room correction, if that's what you mean

Hello

It is true that rephase is not designed with room EQ in mind, but that does not mean it cannot be used that way.
It can even rely on automated correction made with REW for example.

Anyway here I think it is more "EQ in room" than "room EQ", so the intend would be to correct the speaker itself based on in room measurements.

I would personally rely on close measurements for LF (but I have no experience with OB...) and 1m or 2m windowed measurements for HF. And a mix of the two for frequencies in-between :D
Multiple measurements at the listening position are interesting for EQ, but I don't think you will necessarily need them for crossover and driver summation, or phase.

Anyway, the more information you have the better, as long as you can interpret the results : each type of measurement will give you a clue.

Do not hesitate to share measurements here.
Good luck !

Hi TonyJeff,

It is strange that it fails the same way on both laptops.
Any common software (antivirus, etc.) between the two?

You can try deleting your temporary files (specifically directories starting with "par-"), so that the next run will reinstall everything.

Thanks - I will try that. I have now managed to get it running repeatably on the W8 machine, but of course it is the other one that I really need it to work on ;-(