• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Please ignore my last post . Grounds - very important for RUNNING THIS CLOCK . Everyone who is going to use it connect your I2S device ground to DAC GROUND , otherwise you bang your head and thing what is wrong ... I also recommend this DEM clock : First Impressions : Sound is very relaxed mids are clear and highs are a bit mild . Congratulations Oliver very well done !

Cheers
Ivan

Thank´s Ivan! :p

I noticed antek sells steel covers for their transformers, "designed to prevent any magnetic field or electrical noise interfere with the sensitive components".

Think it's good to pick up a few of these? I'll have 3 antek transformers for my red baron build.

You don`t need different transformer for different voltage , you can get one for all , that way you will have better cost effective BOM . The simplest way of shielding transformer is with unetched board :
unetched.jpg
- make a box from them and don`t forget to make some holes because of the heat , ground to center tap .

You don`t need different transformer for different voltage , you can get one for all , that way you will have better cost effective BOM . The simplest way of shielding transformer is with unetched board :
unetched.jpg
- make a box from them and don`t forget to make some holes because of the heat , ground to center tap .

I've got one transformer I'm using for my tube stage (6n16p). So what can I pick up from Antekinc.com for the digital section?

Thanks.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ian´s I2S to PCM V2.0 board connected

Here is Ian´s new I2S to PCM module, witch run´s perfect in simultaneous (offset binary) mode on the Red Baron V5.0.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Because i use two Red Baron´s parallel, i added two additional U-FL connectors for DR and DL.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Now the digital input section is completed!

Wave I/O for USB input --> SPDIF/AES input board --> FIFO --> Isolator board -->
Dual Clock board with Crystek CCHD-957 clocks (powerd exclusive from a A123 Systems LiFePo4 cell) -->
Ian´s I2S to PCM V2.0 Module --> Red Baron

:wave:

Wima MKP2; 0.1µF 100V on shunt regs

Question to the experienced shunt builders.
I see there is a spot on the shunt PCB for Wima MKP2; 0.1µF 100V to bypass the 220u caps. The BOM xls does not call for these caps on the shunt. Is there an error in the BOM, or was there a recommendation somewhere in the thread to stop using these in this position?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Question to the experienced shunt builders.
I see there is a spot on the shunt PCB for Wima MKP2; 0.1µF 100V to bypass the 220u caps. The BOM xls does not call for these caps on the shunt. Is there an error in the BOM, or was there a recommendation somewhere in the thread to stop using these in this position?

Salas recommended to skip these caps!

:wave:

Thank you. I have read a fair bit of his thread and related topics by IKO. If these guys say leave em out its good enough for me. I get the sense that part choice, board layout and avoiding oscillation can all be tricky. That's why I bought the kit and will make no changes. Oliver and the members here appear to have this working well so don't want to mess it up.
Thanks Oliver

Do you think I can get away using 1 transformer for the digital side of the red baron?

https://www.antekinc.com/details.php?p=662

this outputs 20v @ 2.5a

Merlin, I tested the capacitance between the primary and secondary of several transformers. These range from 25 pF (some Philips), 45 pF (some Sony) EI models, to 300/400 for separately wound standard EI; with toroids I have measured even 2 nanoF, and I expect that you might get that too with the model you give.
  • Now notice the following: the stray capacitance acts as a short circuit for HF mains-bourne noise.
  • Then what is the use of making complex circuitry?
The circuit uses somewhere around 30mA/+5; 40mA/-5; 50mA/-15V. With shunt set at 200 mA you get a lot of headroom.
2.5A looks a bit high then.

What I would look for is a transformer with a bifilar wound secondary.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.