• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The product describes and offer, as a feature, user downloadable filters but the current product documentation don't describe the prerequisites for such design. Perhaps somewhere in this thread, there are pieces here and there that might make up the information. But it's very hard to find.

Could the pdf manual be added with a part that fully describes the filter aspects in the DAM?

The latest release manual is: dam1021 user manual 20151005.pdf dam1021 user manual ver 0.90. - 7 years old despite all revisions.

From the document:

"FIR2, upsampling from 352/384 Ksps to 2.8/3.1 Msps, reasonable short and soft but still using same design as FIR1."

Is this still correct with the latest rev 7 boards?

A 545 page forum thread is not product documentation.

//

Reactions: 1 user
TNT, please see the rev7 filter file, available on soekris.dk, and find the dam1021 rev7 announcement....

Another thing, the dam1941 has been discontinued, there will soon be a dam2941 to replace it, same physical formfactor, same features and same uManager, just another FPGA that I can actually get.

Same for the dam1021, there will soon be a dam2021, again same physical formfactor, same features and same uManager, just another FPGA that I can actually get.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi soren,

I recently placed an order for a dam1021-12 from modhouse, which leads me to believe that I will receive a rev7. One of the things you mention is that now it only accepts DC in, and the optimal voltage is +/- 9V. But I didn't realize this bullet point until later, and was following damdams build guide, which he used a ultrabib shunt regulator with +/-12V output.
So me trying to follow his build, I procured parts to build a ultrabib supply with +/-12V output at around 300mA.
How will feeding in the 12VDC vs the 9VDC impact the sound quality, if at all? And just curious as to why 9V specifically is considered the sweet spot.

Appreciate any feedback on this.
Thank you
What Soren said, plus you can just adjust the ultrabibs to just output 9V instead of 12V. They will heat up just a bit more, but if your heat sinks were not barely adequate for 12V output to begin with, you should be ok.

What Soren said, plus you can just adjust the ultrabibs to just output 9V instead of 12V. They will heat up just a bit more, but if your heat sinks were not barely adequate for 12V output to begin with, you should be ok.
thanks @Dimdim. I accidentally referred to you as damdamn, oops, but yes, your detailed build & enthusiasm for the product is what inspired me to build one myself. I'm trying to follow your design and learning a lot as I go. I'm going to feed my ultrabib with this hammond torordial transformer -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/152492873873
It has 2 outputs that output 15VAC @ 1.67A each. I originally was getting ultrabib boards built with pcbway (still have my order in actually but will take forever to receive due to Chinese NY), but found a nice gent @schultzsch that is selling his ultrabib v1.3 on the marketplace here. He included massive heatsinks for the mosfets, so should be good to go.
Rest of my dam1021 build (for anyone else that is curious or has comments) -
  • jlsounds I2SoverUSB v.III (will provide isolated power using +5V from dam1021 J2 header - anyone have comments on this?)
  • ldovr Single Rail TPS7A4700 Ultra Low NoisePower Supply for isolated +3.3V to dam1021

That's it. Keeping it simple. 1 input, 1 output. Will use unbuffered raw outputs from dam1021 to SMSL SP200 headphone amplifier. The setup will sit on my desk and be used with my headphones on my main gaming & productivity PC.
Once I get the basic setup above working, I will try to add a esp32 to drive an oled display & webui to manage filters & act as a TTL serial front-end for updating the firmware and adding filter files.

son of a bitch,
modhouseaudio cancelled by dam1021 order. They let my order go through saying the part was in stock, so I acquired all the additional parts to build the dac. Then after days of sitting on "pending fulfillment" status, I e-mail them asking what is going on, and they cancel my order.
Back to the drawing board. @soekris any ETA on when you can build the boards w/ the new chips? I'm assuming we're months out.

TNT, please see the rev7 filter file, available on soekris.dk, and find the dam1021 rev7 announcement....

Another thing, the dam1941 has been discontinued, there will soon be a dam2941 to replace it, same physical formfactor, same features and same uManager, just another FPGA that I can actually get.

Same for the dam1021, there will soon be a dam2021, again same physical formfactor, same features and same uManager, just another FPGA that I can actually get.

Will there be also a new batch of the DAM1121 (or same physical formfactor/feature replacement)?

What about the dac1221 ? When will it be released?
Thank you

Matt

https://in.element14.com/cliff-elec...05t/optical-tx-conn-r-a-jack-panel/dp/2991609

I`m having syncing issues with toshiba Torx 1952 so changing to a new optical receiver can we use the above optical receiver?.

Also upgraded the firmware for Rev5 with http://www.soekris.dk/download/dam1021/1021full_123.skr

sometimes the USB with amanero doesnt sync on some devices on devices like some laptops it syncs well.

what could be the reason for usb doesnt sync well with certain devices? Also can we upgrade to even newer firmware for the dam 1021 Rev5? which is the latest version which fits in for Rev5?