• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

JJansen,

It ebbs and flows.

You could spur some activity by saying you intend to install the A123 batteries into you DAM! That always get the juices flowing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There has not been much written about the filters in 1.06.

I have been a partisan of Paul's filters but I must say that the SOEKRIS Soft filter sounds really good to me. The others are listenable, of course, but there is an ease in Soft that is very attractive and easy to enjoy.

Am I remembering that Paul's PARTY PAK will not work in 1.06? I have not tried after my drama over the weekend. I would like to compare the two Softs.

My memory thinks that the SOEKRIS Soft is a little better in most aspects.

JJansen,

It ebbs and flows.

You could spur some activity by saying you intend to install the A123 batteries into you DAM! That always get the juices flowing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There has not been much written about the filters in 1.06.

I have been a partisan of Paul's filters but I must say that the SOEKRIS Soft filter sounds really good to me. The others are listenable, of course, but there is an ease in Soft that is very attractive and easy to enjoy.

Am I remembering that Paul's PARTY PAK will not work in 1.06? I have not tried after my drama over the weekend. I would like to compare the two Softs.

My memory thinks that the SOEKRIS Soft is a little better in most aspects.

The partypak "soft" is the NewNOS filter. I think you should try the 1.06 filters here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/269776-filter-brewing-soekris-r2r-132.html
It contains the DSD filters as well as 2 of paul's sets (very excellent I must add), Soekris linear phase and NewNOS.

Thanks spikestabber and zfe.

I was a little surprised by the comment about the filters sounding like there was a cylinder in front of the vocalist.

I have never heard anything approaching such a sound and I listen to horns which I would think if such an anomaly was present I would hear it.

Sure would be neat if there could be a few more filters loaded in at a time.

Would like to be able to make the change from the Paul F7 to the SOEKRIS F7. I know they are different but I could hear that it would be useful to be able to switch back and forth between them.

Take care,

RPi uart is GPIO pin 8,10
Be sure to turn of console : UART Pins – Raspberry Pi Projects

Have a look also at the python scripts to control DAM1021..
https://github.com/fortaa/dam1021
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Mopidy-dam1021/0.4

Odroid C2 looks promising for USB and i2s as RPi 2 will have 192K limit (onboard oscilator)
Squeezelite v1.8.4-720 compiled (aarch64) with DSD works good for DSD128/DOP (352,8/384K)

Hi,

is there a way to use a rpi to control input selection, filter selection and volume control through the RS232? If so, can the same rpi run volumio/runeaudio/...?

Is there a way to implement the option into the webinterface of volumio/rune?

Hi,

is there a way to use a rpi to control input selection, filter selection and volume control through the RS232? If so, can the same rpi run volumio/runeaudio/...?
Yes - no problem. I use this setup

Probably but I guess it is a bit work to be done.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
When going with a dual-board ("true" balanced) config, can the power inputs (J1) for each board be connected (in parallel, i.e. each terminal connected to the corresponding terminal on the other board), and a single power supply used? Seems like that ought to work, but I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. :)

On a related note, it seems that if you run a dual-board config, the opamps that do balanced output on the single board become redundant. I've seen a few people removing those opamps to simplify the power requirements of the dam1021 board. Anyone happen to know how much the power draw of the board would be reduced by removing the opamps?

Soekris, any chance of making the opamps socketed on future DAM board revisions? Then people could easily play the opamp rolling game (if they wanted) or remove the opamps if they don't need them. All without having to solder!

When going with a dual-board ("true" balanced) config, can the power inputs (J1) for each board be connected (in parallel, i.e. each terminal connected to the corresponding terminal on the other board), and a single power supply used? Seems like that ought to work, but I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. :)

On a related note, it seems that if you run a dual-board config, the opamps that do balanced output on the single board become redundant. I've seen a few people removing those opamps to simplify the power requirements of the dam1021 board. Anyone happen to know how much the power draw of the board would be reduced by removing the opamps?

Soekris, any chance of making the opamps socketed on future DAM board revisions? Then people could easily play the opamp rolling game (if they wanted) or remove the opamps if they don't need them. All without having to solder!

Yes they can be connected in parallel, done just that. Just remember to not ground them anywhere other than at the power supply itself to avoid any ground loops. Only connect the hot/cold wires on your XLR jacks, wire the XLR ground pins directly to the chassis.

The op-amps make a good set of truly balanced headphone drivers (300/600R suited) when running a pair of boards. I've removed them in the past on my v1 board with no noticeable improvements from doing so, decided to use them to drive headphones in my current setup.

Agree, op-amp rolling would be a nice feature due to the discrete options (sparko, etc) that are out there, however I'm hoping Soren releases the discrete buffer that he designed for the dac1101 as its own PCB. Maybe after the dam1121 is released?

Any update on the .01% rev 3 boards? I don't mind waiting if they're going to be made. I just don't want to wait for something that isn't going to happen.
Thanks!

We're almost out of the current batch dam1021 rev3, both the -02 and -05.

Next batch is about to be manufactured, just waiting for those damn 0.01% resistors, which now are about 5 weeks late....

Next batch will be dam1021 rev4, and will be -05 and -12, yes, back to the -12.... The two will be the dam1021 versions available long term.

The rev4 is due to the discontinuance of the LME49710 and LME49724, forcing me to change the output buffers. After a lot of thinking I decided to change to a dual OPA1602 per channel, one channel used as buffer, one as inverter, still with the same 2V RMS single ended / 4V RMS balanced output. The OPA1602 don't have quite the same output current as the LME49724, but can still drive high impedance headphones. And before everybody start suggesting parts, I really have looked at all suitable parts, there aren't that many being both good sounding, low noise, low offset voltage, with good output current and reasonable cost.

There will be no other changes to the dam1021 beside the output buffers.

Any updates on the OEM version? Thanks. :)

And the dam1121 will be released very very soon, only the dam1121-02 will be available in limited quantities at first. Later on I expect to make a dam1121-01, those two will probably be the dam1121 versions available long term. I personally doubt anybody would be able to hear any difference between the -02 and -01 version, but there seems to be demand anyway so I will offer them....

Note that the dam1121 is really designed to be mounted on a main board with power supplies, output buffers and a microcontroller for the user interface, just like any other DAC chip. The connectors are 2mm pitch, but you can use cables....

Hi,

@blaze00
It will be up to the developers to add it to volumio/rune or if someone wants to hack the distro (volumio/rune)

My attempts to start the Python virtual environment failed on the RPi. Has anybody else tried?
:Pumpkin: