• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Hi Guys
I paid for a SoeKris DAC module 2 months back on the owners website and paid via Paypal. I didn't ever receive the board or a confirmation. Has he stopped producing them and instead just taking peoples money????

Here is the link I used:
DIY Line - dam1021 - Audio Products - Products

Have you tried contacting the online store ?? Please email the online store and they will figure out what the problem is and resolve it, as they always do....

http://soekris.com/Contact_Soekris/

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Would you happen to know if there was reclocking done after the offending isolators?

I am certainly aware that these devices not only increase jitter but also add their own noise. And don't seem to isolate all that well despite the dramatic cutoffs in boards we often see :)

Peter,

The original DAM boards only did reclocking in the FPGA... see this post by Barrows casting aspersions on the effectiveness of that setup:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...magnitude-24-bit-384-khz-101.html#post4665201

And this one soon after where Soren mentioned that he had added flip-flop-based hardware reclocking to the lastest runs of the boards:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...magnitude-24-bit-384-khz-101.html#post4665307

And then my post referencing John Swenson's comments on why isolation and reclocking does not make the downstream device immune to upstream noise and jitter:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...magnitude-24-bit-384-khz-101.html#post4662383

I DO believe that isolators and reclocking if done even halfway right are worthwhile IN MOST SITUATIONS. But based on John's and a number of other comments on the web (and my own experiences feeding a Soekris DAM with either an SDTRans384 SD Card Player or an R-Pi running Squeezelite, where there are clear differences between the two sources), isolation and reclocking does not make all upstream sources sound the same.

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I should add that both setups into Soekris DAM DACs sound VERY good and set the top end of my various digital source options. But the SDTrans384 as a source provides better delineation between instruments and singers and increased detailing.

Last edited:
@GregStewart:

You should take the time and install ARCHPHILE on your RPi. This MPD-based distro is reduced to the lim in operation and let RPi sound significantly better compared to squeezelite usage.

I've tested all the relevant available distros and Archphile soundwise clearly do best.

Further I recommend to power the Pi via it's GPIO- pins (5V-Ground) through a solid PSU.

I run my DAM like that using I2S connectivity (Create solid connection and keep wires as short as possible)

Greetingz, Robert

@GregStewart:

You should take the time and install ARCHPHILE on your RPi. This MPD-based distro is reduced to the lim in operation and let RPi sound significantly better compared to squeezelite usage.

I've tested all the relevant available distros and Archphile soundwise clearly do best.

Further I recommend to power the Pi via it's GPIO- pins (5V-Ground) through a solid PSU.

I run my DAM like that using I2S connectivity (Create solid connection and keep wires as short as possible)

Greetingz, Robert

Hi Robert,

What is advantage of power the Pi via GPIO over micro USB? I'm just starting try out the Pi3 with RuneAudio, sound is good. Will try Archphile as your recommendation soon.

Thanks.

Hi Bitinhvi!

Powering the Pi via GPIO- interface avoids current flow passing the implemented poly-fusing of the pi what loosens the limitation in current-demand in case of plugging usb-devices.

I think someone will risk warranty loss if powering like this, but I never have had any problem doing so.

Greetingz, Robert

Hi Derekr!

I'm ranking it soundwise- of course- all subjective!

1. Archphile (with significant distance to RuneAudio)
2. RuneAudio
3. Volumio
4. PiCore-player with LMS (Logitech-Media-Server)
5. Squeeze-Lite with LMS

4. and 5. are nearly equal, can't really evaluate differences.

Archphile even draws equal with APLinux, that is an 'audiophile' MPD-based distro for PC's. Daphile (for PC's), which is based on the LMS can't compete with APLinux

Haven't testet Moode-Player yet, that is a fork from RuneAudio- will do when version 2.6 is out

Greetingz, Robert

...a very interesting platform for digital audio transport are the Odroid Boards C1 and the newest C2. They have a specialized I2S header implemented. Moreover there are further technical benefits with them compared to the Raspberry Pi especially if it comes to audio.

For both ARCHPHILE offers top working versions.

Also RuneAudio and Volumio have their Odroid C1- versions.

But to repeat myself: I really recommend ARCHPHILE, headless with either MPDroid (for Android) or MPOD (for Apple) as clients.

The distro itself supports also ympd for also controlling the Pi or Odroid- board via PC- it's extremly lightweight and selfexplaining- but I nearly don't use it. There is a possibility to deinstall it.

But I think that all is offtopic and therefore concluded. It's enough said from my side concerning RPi- player. If some are interested do discuss that further we can change to another thread or create one.

Greetingz

Hello interested, has already made any thoughts about the inner workings of the 1101? I am the thing just by measurement on the track and stumble over the CPC 1017N. Whether that is the best way to switch the outputs? I do not know, believe but there is potential. Has a discovered how and where Soeren switches the gain? I think I'll pull the internal RAW output times to the outside and let me surprise you what is coming ...

As expected the use of non-linear CMOS confirmed switch in the output of the DAC1101 as a really poor choice. Metrological point of view as well as sound after correction, dramatically changed the DAC1101 and fun right now. Now, the DAC behind none other need hiding, super!

@bambadoo:
I agree that LMS is very nice to use with respect to optics and comfort.
But MPDroid as a client for instance, works like a charm with Archphile and delivers far enough facilities to absolutely satisfy me.
Moreover LMS is much more demanding in CPU- usage- what to me seems to be a reason for it's comparably inferior audio performance.

Concerning DSD-playback: Some other users didn't have problems with DSD-performance on Archphile.
But apart from that: 99% of my favorized music isn't available in DSD-formats and will probably never be- so to me DSD capability makes absolutely no sense anyway.

All my music is stored in WAV-format- that means- no extra converting processes at all- thats the reason why I even prefer wav to flac- and I'm absolutely satisfied with the sound performance.

Last edited:
As expected the use of non-linear CMOS confirmed switch in the output of the DAC1101 as a really poor choice. Metrological point of view as well as sound after correction, dramatically changed the DAC1101 and fun right now. Now, the DAC behind none other need hiding, super!

Mr. Jansen,

I would like to know what you are talking about and figure there is a translation problem.

Please try again to tell us what you have found.

Take care,

Mr. Jansen,

I would like to know what you are talking about and figure there is a translation problem.

Please try again to tell us what you have found.

Take care,

Hey Rick,
excuse my bad English, I will always translate everything by Google.
I bought a DAC1101 and wondered why he sounds much worse at the line output than my slightly modified DAM-DAC. After many exhibitions I found the cause, Soeren used as a switch for the outputs to CPC1017 or the CPC10120 that are CMOS relay with non-linear characteristics. Easily measure the difference between the input and the output of this component in normal operation clearly shows that the component does not behave uniformly neutral. So I have the CMOS switch away and replaced with simple mechanical switch. With this small change in the unit changed significantly. Now it is the best DAC I have here and my selection is not small, consistently R2R and usually very expensive. I hope that it is now understood.

PLEASE no excuses for bad English. AS if there are many native English speakers who have any idea how to write (much less, speak) German!

I remember when the DAM was first announced and there were people complaining about the THUMP on turn off begging SOEKRIS to place a relay at the output and I mentioned if he did it would likely be one of the very things you report are installed on the 1101.

I am very careful when I use relays, I would rather not use them at all. AND those relays, CMOS switches, are bad for audio! They are small, though which is why SOEKRIS used them.

I have found, after being told to be aware of this, that how you power the actuator within the relay makes a difference. Regulated voltage does make a difference when used in a relay in an audio circuit.

Hi Derekr!

I'm ranking it soundwise- of course- all subjective!

1. Archphile (with significant distance to RuneAudio)
2. RuneAudio
3. Volumio
4. PiCore-player with LMS (Logitech-Media-Server)
5. Squeeze-Lite with LMS

4. and 5. are nearly equal, can't really evaluate differences.....

Greetingz, Robert

Thanks, Robert. Have you tried any of the 'leaner' distros - the ones with less of an emphasis on the GUI? Not as easy to configure as you have to SSH in to the actual files but - to my ears, YMMV, subjectively, yadda, yadda - they sound better than the GUI-centric distros - perhaps because they use less of the Pi's resources for the GUI?? Once configured then all you need, as you mention, is one of the MPD clients for music selection. Distro I use flawlessly packages DSD into PCM on the Pi2, no issues.

We should move this (as suggested above) to another thread - maybe 'Linux servers and DAM1021'? Apologies, Søren.

Hello
I've one question:
at the moment I've a Dam1021 v.3 with standard software,connected in I2S with INPSLCT0 and INPSLCT1 at GND:

with SDtrans 384 it works perfect at any sample rate
with windows Media Player and Amanero only at 44Khz and loose the lock many times every 3 or 4 seconds, at 96Khz no lock
with Cubietruck and direct I2s don't lock
with Cubietruck and Amanero 44.1Khz loose the lock many times every 3 or 4 seconds,at 96Khz only sometimes loose the lock

If I remuve INPSLCT0 and INPSLCT1:

with windows Media Player and Amanero only at 44Khz and loose the lock many times every 3 or 4 secondsas before, at 96Khz no lock
with Cubietruck and direct I2s at 44.1Khz loose the lock many times every 3 or 4 seconds, at 96Khz no lock
with Cubietruck and Amanero at44.1Khz loose the lock many times every 10 seconds,at 96Khz keep the lock
What do you think about? Do you have any suggestion?
I've tried the I2s Cubietruck out with a 4399 dac without any problem.
The type of wire and the connection lenght is the same in all the tests.

Thanks for your patience
Guglielmo