• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

What SSASSEN does not want to understand is sometimes you have to try something to know what happens.

If there was no need for something like a foil resistor I find it hard to believe it would exist. There are not enough audio kooks to make such a product viable. Of course, there is no such thing as a perfect resistor, we can only inch closer to perfection. But I wonder if SSASSEN thinks all resistors are perfect.

We do not know what the effects of noise are with the conversion process. Sure, it would be great to think it doesn't matter, it would make life much simpler, but it is unexplored by the measurement community. I am speaking of minute amounts of generated noise, of course. Noise being anything that is not supposed to be there and there is lots of it of all kinds. This has to allow "mistakes" to be made in the conversion process

I am not going to spend the money or time to do this but I would appreciate someone wanting to try it.

Models and our extrapolations of such are interesting exercises and can be helpful but without the addition of real experience they are nothing more than parlor games.

You can repeat the mumbo jumbo all you want but without actual use you can blind yourself; deluding yourself into, say as an analogy, thinking you can predict the weather one hundred years into the future. This delusion is aided by sloppy measurements taken with an outcome in mind.

If one does not have a regard for the mysteries of the universe and of human perception one will not progress into what makes a component "sound real". We have a long way to go before achieving this, obviously.

If one can satisfy themselves with crude measurements and have their ear-brain believe the good measurements correlate with natural sound then you are done and there is nothing more to concern oneself.

When one believes the measurements we are capable of making explain it all then one has surpassed religious belief into manic delusion.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
you are absolutly right man, those " one" are many , thinking that good numbers ,FFT plot , curve , etc .. make good sound , but music is something else , it's made by artist not engineers , sometimes both works together , but not many times ;)

So I wrote a quite a long comment on this. Then I erased it. I post this instead so that my silence is not taken as a confirmation on your view of how a reproduction chain relates to a music message.

//

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Alright, so the gist of the last few posts is that music reproduction by electronic means is something completely different than what makes your run of the mill electronic appliances tick?

As per the above noted replies it is not governed by the same laws of physics that put people on the moon, makes your cellphone work, or allows you to actually reply to this message on a wonderful medium called 'the internet'.

You do realize how absolutely preposterous that sounds (pun intended) right?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yep. It is all Soren's fault ;) He should have released OEM board already. ;) Instead people get nerves while waiting and use topics of secondary importance to "kill" each other. Soren, please, say when at least ...

Back on page 505, post #5041, he said:

After getting the dac1101 out, the dam1121 is next, I have production hardware, but still some work and docs to do, things always take more time than expected.... Please don't bug me, when it's ready I'll announce it.

Alright, so the gist of the last few posts is that music reproduction by electronic means is something completely different than what makes your run of the mill electronic appliances tick?

As per the above noted replies it is not governed by the same laws of physics that put people on the moon, makes your cellphone work, or allows you to actually reply to this message on a wonderful medium called 'the internet'.

You do realize how absolutely preposterous that sounds (pun intended) right?
It does but our model of physics that we were taught at schools and universities are so simple, that they are not covering it.

If one goes back to the Newton's law one may assume it is not applied to relative theory of Einstein.

As we were taught at school that Newton's law says that F=ma

But some bugger part of it has been omitted. Initially it suggests that

"Force is depending on the mass and acceleration"

That leaves the law quite wide and applicable to both mechanics and relative theory.

The same goes in economics and any other area, where modeling is used.

When we forget that we are using models to predict nature. And rely on models instead of Nature(experience)

Because it is easier and cheaper for us to model))

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I have a question about the AC power input.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B15LqQoMxKDfTXJUTkZ4eDVYcFk

Refering to the above diagram captured from the dam1021 manual, positive voltage cycles entering from "B power_in" can go through D1 & D3 directly back to the transformer return, turning out to be a short circuit for the cycle.
If the two transformers are connected in phase, B power_in, D1 & D2 form the short path for the two connected windings as well.

Is there something I missed ?

I have a question about the AC power input.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B15LqQoMxKDfTXJUTkZ4eDVYcFk

Refering to the above diagram captured from the dam1021 manual, positive voltage cycles entering from "B power_in" can go through D1 & D3 directly back to the transformer return, turning out to be a short circuit for the cycle.
If the two transformers are connected in phase, B power_in, D1 & D2 form the short path for the two connected windings as well.

Is there something I missed ?
possible.
you need one transformer with two secondary winding, and their phase should by in phase. That's implied in the diagram I believe.

possible.
you need one transformer with two secondary winding, and their phase should by in phase. That's implied in the diagram I believe.

Sorry, Obee. You didn't solve the problem. Connecting the windings in phase is the worst in that situation. However connecting them out of phase still shorts one winding.

I think Dimdim should be right that the diagram in the manual is not correct.

26368041515_ea1bf26f79_o.png

Last edited:
I have now connected the Amanero F0-F3 pins to pi and reading them for the sampling rate using Node.js and rpi.gpio (will upload the pics this evening). Still struggling to interface between pi3 and DAM (to set things like vol and filter). Tried things like minicom, screen and 'python DAM 1021 lib' but still no luck :-(. I could try interfacing with PC using USB to rs232 but very keen to automate it using pi so I can remotely control things including filter selection. Will give it another go this weekend.

This forum was very useful in getting the relevant hardware parts sorted. Thanks all, and hopefully if I can get the pi3 - DAM interface working then can contribute back to the forum with the interface that you can control through any mobile device.

Another thing I noticed is the power off plop. It is still there for my rev 3 board. I thought the muting circuit took care of that for rev 3. I am using my Grado through the buffered output and here the loud click on power off.

On the positive notes, the interface with Amanero and DAM worked the very first time. Locking is quick and sound is beautiful without any mods.

Wanted to assure those concerned that when I disagree with someone I have never had a desire to KILL them. Yikes.

I feel absolutely confident SSASSEN has no such tendency, either. I am sure he has much better things to do than "get mad" over a post on an audio forum. In fact, I bet he is more than slightly interesting to talk to.

I would like to think we have evolved to the point where an argument is fun and spirited with the objective of understanding not of destruction.

Now that that is settled.

Someone bringing up Newton and Einstein is a quick and easy way to state that the "laws" of physics have changed as we have greater understanding of how the universe works. Einstein received plenty of criticism when he made his discoveries. Especially from German scientists who called his science "Jewish". There remains today those who think Einstein theories are unproven. AS with all mysteries there is much we do not fully understand.

When science is fixed in place there will no longer be any science. That is doctrine and that stuff can get you into trouble.

I have now connected the Amanero F0-F3 pins to pi and reading them for the sampling rate using Node.js and rpi.gpio (will upload the pics this evening). Still struggling to interface between pi3 and DAM (to set things like vol and filter). Tried things like minicom, screen and 'python DAM 1021 lib' but still no luck :-(. I could try interfacing with PC using USB to rs232 but very keen to automate it using pi so I can remotely control things including filter selection. Will give it another go this weekend.

RPi Serial Connection - eLinux.org

Locate a very low close in phase noise clock (oscillator) near to where it is to be used. Buffer the clock into 2 signals A and B. Drive a Potato flip-flop with said clock A positioned even closer to the clock user. Input the jitter laden data stream into the potato chip - out come jitter free data stream. Feed clock B signal "backwards" to whatever needs to be in synchronization with the clock.

//

Rev 0 boards use Si514 LVDS clock output for FPGA, at least the one I have (IIRC). But shift registers use TTL levels for input, so FPGA must provide clocks for SHCP/STCP/OE pins. It would be interesting to see a scale of improvement due to using flip-flops (audible or not is another question). Looking at a dam1121 board pic it seems that u8/u11 are flip-flops and drive STCP pins. But neither are they close to shift registers nor do provide differential clock signal. And internal shift register jitter is still there. So maybe there are other reasons for doing so.

With regards to Y caps at least, you end up passing more noise into the earth wire and thus chassis than you would otherwise if you didn't have them... and from what I remember they were more about stopping crap from going back into the mains *from* the device moreso than filtering anything coming in through the mains. This is even more important with SMPS. Also they don't call them safety caps for nothing.... in the end its all about regulatory compliance.

Most of those IEC inlets have built-in chokes.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
... there is much we do not fully understand

Wholeheartedly agree, much of how the human brain processes auditory input and how that's affected by prejudice, expectation, frame of mind, etc. etc. is not fully understood yet.

That's where the vast majority of differences originate from.

Rest assured that has far more validity than some magical component in audio playback that only manifests itself when you hit the play button and sit down for a listen and which doesn't affect electronics used for other tasks.