• The Vendor's Bazaar forum is for commercial offers and transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

That's how it works sometimes indeed.

However, for fun, go to your kitchen, find a metal tray for backing an apple pie, find enough very small pebbles in your garden to fill the tray with it and put it on top of your dac, pre-amp, etc. More likely than not you will hear the difference. Unless your audio rack provides perfect vibration isolation and your hifi equipment does not generate any vibrations itself.

The mass soothes and thus helpful in some places is known, mass inertia law. I too calm sensitive points of my music reproduction system with additional 90Kg weight. However, the stones on the high-end only 5-10 grams of weight and cost more than 100kg of processed granite. As we will surely meet again there Soekris DAC derivatives which will cost 5000€ to 50000€....

the reason you cant use the diy version for oem is because all the vendors dacs would sound almost identical
Lessloss has done something commercially smart
Their first to launch
Simple build an amanero a bipolar supply and a little power treatment and their done
Everyone else will have to be a little different by customising a more barebones oem board

Thats whats so smart their repackaging the dam
Something any novice diyer could do

Let's put it the other way, if one commercial DAC company takes the dam1021 and highly modify before putting into a nice wooden chassis, rather than just make the dam1021 works with minimal configuration and put it into a nice wooden chassis:
-Which way has higher profit margin?
-Can the customers identify the difference without "seeing" the inside?
Be real, it's all about business when we're talking about a profit making business but not a hobby.

In addition, Soren always recommend not to modify the DAC, I think the company just follow the official recommendation. Personally, I found that the factory default sounds great for my rev2 board!

Let's put it the other way, if one commercial DAC company takes the dam1021 and highly modify before putting into a nice wooden chassis, rather than just make the dam1021 works with minimal configuration and put it into a nice wooden chassis:
-Which way has higher profit margin?
-Can the customers identify the difference without "seeing" the inside?
Be real, it's all about business when we're talking about a profit making business but not a hobby.

In addition, Soren always recommend not to modify the DAC, I think the company just follow the official recommendation. Personally, I found that the factory default sounds great for my rev2 board!

what i said
nige2000 said:
Thats whats so smart their repackaging the dam
Something any novice diyer could do

indeed the best idea for business
the r3 is already good enough to be in the 5k category and probably easily beats them so no design changes are required and best to leave scope for updated models

but just because it's good
does not mean it can't be better

what i said

indeed the best idea for business
the r3 is already good enough to be in the 5k category and probably easily beats them so no design changes are required and best to leave scope for updated models

but just because it's good
does not mean it can't be better

BTW, being the dam mods champion, did you consider upgrading the ladder resistors. This might be one of the most impacting upgrades. I remember somebody saying that after upgrading two (per channel) output filter rsistors the SQ was clearly improved.

BTW, being the dam mods champion, did you consider upgrading the ladder resistors. This might be one of the most impacting upgrades. I remember somebody saying that after upgrading two (per channel) output filter rsistors the SQ was clearly improved.

It would be great to have and hear dam with recently released z-foil vishay vars SMD version resistors :)

It would be great to have and hear dam with recently released z-foil vishay vars SMD version resistors :)
Then what is the point if you calculate it that way Total DAC is a steal price DAC. Im sure the sound quality with Zfoil will be on another level but at what price? each resistor costing 20 USD so for 200 of them 4000USD alone?

I think soren should focus more on the resistor quality here if he can source any better.
But like the previous replies I see alot of improvement is needed in the DAM.
Power supplies, Stock filters, and Jitter reduction as after the FPGA the jitter is about in 100ps i guess so no matter how good is the clock the FPGA will add the jitter.

Then what is the point if you calculate it that way Total DAC is a steal price DAC. Im sure the sound quality with Zfoil will be on another level but at what price? each resistor costing 20 USD so for 200 of them 4000USD alone?

I think soren should focus more on the resistor quality here if he can source any better.
But like the previous replies I see alot of improvement is needed in the DAM.
Power supplies, Stock filters, and Jitter reduction as after the FPGA the jitter is about in 100ps i guess so no matter how good is the clock the FPGA will add the jitter.

Can't find the price for those:
Texas Components Corporation

Anyways even if they cost 20$ per each (through hole is ~10$ per each) in large quantities it would be cheaper ... I guess. So even 4000USD is still much cheaper than 13000EUR for total dac.

SOEKRIS,

My curiosity is killing me.

Are you at liberty to say whether the OEM board was already on the drawing board before the contact from LESSLOSS or did their inquiry inspire the OEM board?

Just figuring you would need something tangible to get a new product developed.

They seems to use a std dam1021.... The OEM version was just because I could, although it has taken me too long time to finish it....

But I have a question soren when you say its a signed magnitude dac then why each sign has 28 resistor + 28 resistor for positive and 28+28 on negative where each 28 is either R or 2R.
Technically isnt it like 14 for positive R and 14 for positive 2R and for negative sign 14 for R and 14 for 2R. Isnt the Dac upsampling in the above case?