• The Vendor's Bazaar forum is for commercial offers and transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Then what is the point if you calculate it that way Total DAC is a steal price DAC. Im sure the sound quality with Zfoil will be on another level but at what price? each resistor costing 20 USD so for 200 of them 4000USD alone?
ive bought some of those zfoils couple years ago should think under 5 Gbp a piece for say 100 units trimmed to correct values

but im not convinced it is the next biggest issue
there are some cheaper good sounding resistors too
but precision is important
I think soren should focus more on the resistor quality here if he can source any better.
But like the previous replies I see alot of improvement is needed in the DAM.
Power supplies, Stock filters, and Jitter reduction as after the FPGA the jitter is about in 100ps i guess so no matter how good is the clock the FPGA will add the jitter.
agree

I started this a long time ago
dac wiki

But at some point, for some reason, I couldn't edit it anymore. I tried for a while, then gave up.

I just checked, and it looks like it can be edited now.

Randy

I think that would be an appropriate place for Søren, or anybody, to place the FAQ section. I even recommend that Søren links to the wiki in his post #1. Could serve as a great toolbox if maintained by the forum members.

BTW, being the dam mods champion, did you consider upgrading the ladder resistors. This might be one of the most impacting upgrades. I remember somebody saying that after upgrading two (per channel) output filter rsistors the SQ was clearly improved.

Aka chief defiler
I remember it been mentioned quite a while ago about changing two with good results
Seems hard to believe given the amount of resistors in the ladder
But its sad day when we just make assumtions
Ill likely try these two resistors at some stage and see how it goes
Changing them all seems a little mad given the cost

Then what is the point if you calculate it that way Total DAC is a steal price DAC. Im sure the sound quality with Zfoil will be on another level but at what price? each resistor costing 20 USD so for 200 of them 4000USD alone?

I think soren should focus more on the resistor quality here if he can source any better.
But like the previous replies I see alot of improvement is needed in the DAM.
Power supplies, Stock filters, and Jitter reduction as after the FPGA the jitter is about in 100ps i guess so no matter how good is the clock the FPGA will add the jitter.

Yes, a lot of things still can be improved in ver3. However, my whish scenario is to have a stripped down board (which I hope the OEM version will be) whithout any power supplies and oversampling, and with a possibility to choose from different components quality such as resistors, capacitors, etc. Offering higher quality version of dam would diversify the product offering and potentially increase sales and profitability.

Last edited:
Yes, a lot of things still can be improved in ver3. However, my whish scenario is to have a stripped down board (which I hope the OEM version will be) whithout any power supplies and oversampling, and with a possibility to choose from different components quality such as resistors, capacitors, etc. Offering higher quality version of dam would diversify the product offering and potentially increase sales and profitability.
Think thats a different project alltogether
Starting from scratch
No fpga

Think thats a different project alltogether
Starting from scratch
No fpga
yes that was my initial plan to do but the major problems are working with the precision of the resistor so for 24 bit you need 1/2^24 precision which with our current technology cant be achieved. So signed magnitude would do the job but is there a analog way to work with signed magnitude without the FPGA would make sense here but still its very complex matching of devices and will be much more complicated.

I think the best way is to find the best FPGA which will introduce very little jitter.

Its unfortunate that much of the FPGA applications are meant for only digital stuff here nobody cares for that femto jitter levels unless it would be NASA.

But the quest is still there how to get even lower jitter.

I do agree to use the OEM version of the board than the current ones as its much more flexible.
But all together I will be waiting for the day when soren uses zfoil resistors in the ladder.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Locate a very low close in phase noise clock (oscillator) near to where it is to be used. Buffer the clock into 2 signals A and B. Drive a Potato flip-flop with said clock A positioned even closer to the clock user. Input the jitter laden data stream into the potato chip - out come jitter free data stream. Feed clock B signal "backwards" to whatever needs to be in synchronization with the clock.

//

Last edited:
Locate a very low close in phase noise clock (oscillator) near to where it is to be used. Buffer the clock into 2 signals A and B. Drive a Potato flip-flop with said clock A positioned even closer to the clock user. Input the jitter laden data stream into the potato chip - out come jitter free data stream. Feed clock B signal "backwards" to whatever needs to be in synchronization with the clock.

//

can you post the circuit if you have?

And what would you consider a 'better resistor', what's the criteria here? And going forward, what makes you think that the resistors currently used aren't already good enough?

P.s. the lack of even a rudimentary understanding of how components used in electronics work is appalling, please get an education prior to making any 'why doesn't the DAM use component XYZ' type of comments.

And what would you consider a 'better resistor', what's the criteria here? And going forward, what makes you think that the resistors currently used aren't already good enough?

P.s. the lack of even a rudimentary understanding of how components used in electronics work is appalling, please get an education prior to making any 'why doesn't the DAM use component XYZ' type of comments.

There is a concept called as noise in resistors. The one used is the thin metal film i think.
There is substantial difference between using the thin metal film and metal foil. The metal foil is more about carving the copper foil where there is no magnetic material but anything other is some sort of magnetic material in it which degrades the sound.

Take a 2.2 micro farad of an entry polypropylene cap and use a 2.2 micro farad of Duelund Capacitor and measure both the outputs you will get the same on scope or any other measuring device.

Ask an experienced audiophile he will figure out in a minute that the Dueluends are sounding much better.

Its all material science man you need to leave the conventional method of measuring only the THD and then understand how signal behaves when passed through various materials.
You need to get educated on this one and if you cannot hear the difference then nobody can help just be happy looking at the measurements on scope.

In my experience the best measured ones didnt sound good rather ok.

Do one thing get vishay Zfoil resistors in your preamp and then compare with your normal resistors. You will see whats the difference.

Its not why Dam doesnt use those components but its about for what it has to be used.
Do the research on material science and how different materials behave wrt to not just freq but also in time domain. Its much complex subject than just taking one frequency sweep and concluding that yeah it has roll off etc.
Go study material science first put various materials into it and then you will say that yes there is difference.

The resistance value of resistor is just one parameter out of many.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Clock scheme... I skipped the buffering...

//

Attachments

• clo_sync.png
    clo_sync.png
    254.5 KB · Views: 551
There is a concept called as noise in resistors. The one used is the thin metal film i think.
There is substantial difference between using the thin metal film and metal foil. The metal foil is more about carving the copper foil where there is no magnetic material but anything other is some sort of magnetic material in it which degrades the sound.

And what's the mechanism behind this, does it autodetect that there's sound being reproduced perhaps, as the fancy other circuits we use all day don't seem to care.

Take a 2.2 micro farad of an entry polypropylene cap and use a 2.2 micro farad of Duelund Capacitor and measure both the outputs you will get the same on scope or any other measuring device.

Ask an experienced audiophile he will figure out in a minute that the Dueluends are sounding much better.

Define 'sounding much better', what's the criteria?

Its all material science man you need to leave the conventional method of measuring only the THD and then understand how signal behaves when passed through various materials.
You need to get educated on this one and if you cannot hear the difference then nobody can help just be happy looking at the measurements on scope.

Can you define how different materials only seem to affect sound reproduction and nothing else ...

And what's the mechanism behind this, does it autodetect that there's sound being reproduced perhaps, as the fancy other circuits we use all day don't seem to care.

Define 'sounding much better', what's the criteria?

Can you define how different materials only seem to affect sound reproduction and nothing else ...

When you try to simulate the circuit you plug a resistor value and you get results all in IDEAL way. The resistor what you have used to calculate is an ideal resistor which has only resistance no inductance and no capacitance and perfectly linear behavior over the entire spectrum from 0Hz to Infinite and with zero noise and zero raise time an fall time across the entire spectrum. But in reality the way the component behaves is different.

So when you simulate the resistor you need all of this data to be checked and the see how these will affect the overall performance of the circuit.

I dont say vishay Zfoil is ideal resistor but yes using this you will find the boundaries of the room where the music is being performed at time of recording.
I strongly objecting this earlier but when I really listened to it i was bowled that why its happening and its actually happening because of various materials involving in changing its sonic signature.

You can say me your scope will do the best but can it measure as good as your ear perceives? As the dynamic range of the human ear is about 10^6 times that of the human eye..! your ears can detect a billionth of an atmospheric pressure so can you scope measure better than that?

Has anyone seen the precision laser-trimmed resistor ladders (in a single ceramic in-line packaging) that they commonly use in high-end digital multimeters?
I think this would be the way to go vs buying $4k+ worth of single resistors from Vishay... with enough quantity any manufacturer could do such a production run of said ceramic packages for considerably less cost per component which would likely be considerably more accurate too. (less pcb to take into account)

Why is that? (Honest question, not arguing.)

With regards to Y caps at least, you end up passing more noise into the earth wire and thus chassis than you would otherwise if you didn't have them... and from what I remember they were more about stopping crap from going back into the mains *from* the device moreso than filtering anything coming in through the mains. This is even more important with SMPS. Also they don't call them safety caps for nothing.... in the end its all about regulatory compliance.

Last edited: