• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Joined 2004
Paid Member
This is what the rev2 vias look like.

Attachments

• 20151226_181827.jpg
    20151226_181827.jpg
    990.5 KB · Views: 676
  • 20151226_181831.jpg
    20151226_181831.jpg
    985.2 KB · Views: 623
  • 20151226_181930.jpg
    20151226_181930.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 615
so, is the general consensus that the dac requires a regulated power source for optimal performance?

If so, is there any recommendation as to which regulated supply I should purchase? I see that many people like the salas bipolar power supplies, but I'm not looking to wait for a group by.

What are my other options?

Last edited:
Hi,

thanks for your solution but it doesn't work.
After edit the config.txt 44,1kHz / 16Bit work fine with disabled upsampler in mpd config.
With 96 kHz,192kHz / 24Bit tracks the dam not lock :(

Any other solution ?

after modify apply(reboot your moode),reconnect putty,
type in below cmds:
aplay -L or aplay -l

to check the new dpi-dac did been loaded.
if not, recheck your dts file.

at last , do remember to add new alsa dev hw id in mpd config file, if it changed.

Last edited:
I have two dam1021 rev2, how can I connect as balance left and right?
I have entered umanager and typed "set mode=bal_right" and "set mode=bal_left" for each card and typed "exit". What to do next?

Should I just connect XLR to J7? J7 first pin +, second/third gnd, forth -?

How about the signal input? Say I want to use SPDIF, should I just follow same as what it suggested in manual but connect two cards in parallel?

Thanks

I have two dam1021 rev2, how can I connect as balance left and right?
I have entered umanager and typed "set mode=bal_right" and "set mode=bal_left" for each card and typed "exit". What to do next?

Should I just connect XLR to J7? J7 first pin +, second/third gnd, forth -?

How about the signal input? Say I want to use SPDIF, should I just follow same as what it suggested in manual but connect two cards in parallel?

Thanks

Do not install the 330R resistor across SPDIF inputs, two DAM inputs in parallel will result in 50 Ohm impedance, which is already lower than the nominal 75 Ohms for coax spdif.

You will probably want to chain together the serial ports of both dacs to synchronize volume and input selection.

The XLR connection is mostly correct, although it is better to connect XLR gnd/pin1 directly to the enclosure instead of to the DAC signal ground.

Do not install the 330R resistor across SPDIF inputs, two DAM inputs in parallel will result in 50 Ohm impedance, which is already lower than the nominal 75 Ohms for coax spdif.

You will probably want to chain together the serial ports of both dacs to synchronize volume and input selection.

The XLR connection is mostly correct, although it is better to connect XLR gnd/pin1 directly to the enclosure instead of to the DAC signal ground.

I've left the 330R resistor on the SPDIF input for my balanced setup as I couldn't be bothered to remove it when changing to 2 boards. Doesn't seem to affect anything, at least with a short 6 ft coax run from a sound card. Results may vary of course.

Thanks normundss & spikestabber. I just tried balanced XLR output using USB to I2S and it sounds quite big improvement in audio experience. The interconnect and design of my pre-amp may affect the result greatly so I can't conclude anything.
Just out of curious, what is the output impedance of this way of connection? And what is the output voltage? Thanks again.

Have you checked the manual?

I can't get the latest manual. The one I read is downloaded from here:
http://www.soekris.dk/download/dam1021/dam1021 user manual 20151005.pdf

It said "Vers 0.90 – September, 2015", which seems to be outdated.

I found this one by google keyword "dam1021 manual". Unfortunately, I can't download the manual from Soekris EU site (it redirects to http://soekris.eu/shop/pdf/tmp/dam1021-05: 0.05% resistor version_788697_english.pdf but then it returns "HTTP 400 error: Bad Gateway". I also tried to search in US site but I can't any link in there.

So who have the most recent version manual? Or, is the one above is the latest one? If that's the latest one, I am sorry that I can't find any guide regarding setting two dam1021 in balance mode.

P.S. I am using Google Chrome as the web browser for the above findings, is this the reason that it returns "Bad Gateway"?

Can one change the polarity of the raw outputs?

Could reversing the leads result in the opposite polarity?

Could one place a polarity switch on these outputs?

Wondering if it would work would it result in a big noise when the change is made? I would use this: Phase Selector switch & PCB for switching between plus-mute-minus - which I use in my phono system.

I have yet to try it. I would love to be able to select polarity easily and while music is playing.

SOEKRIS, do you think this would work?

Wondering if it would work would it result in a big noise when the change is made? I would use this: Phase Selector switch & PCB for switching between plus-mute-minus - which I use in my phono system.

I have yet to try it. I would love to be able to select polarity easily and while music is playing.

No. That would only work on the buffered Outputs, since they are balanced, but
With the raw output you would change between signal and ground not plus and minus.

The only way this would work on unbuffered is to build a dual dam1021 balanced setup like me and a few others here have done.