recapping using caps with much higher voltage value range compared to original specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening tests versus lab instrument tests, a debate that will go on forever.

Listener advocates just don't have any idea of the accuracy of high end lab equipments. About audio, it is far better than any so called golden ears.
There is no such a thing as something one can ear and cannot be measured, apart from placebo effect and unreproducible effects.
Nowdays all and every corectly designed amplifier sound the same. Serious blind testing proved so. The differences are in the speaker, the room, the recording, the mastering not the amplifier.
Few people are aware that at mastering they fake the audio to give the sound that the public likes best. A sort of augmented reality.

Last edited:
I suggest we go to the core problem: you *unplug* your amplifier from mains and do nothing else.
In a few seconds music will DISAPPEAR.

ZERO ..... ZILCH.

So ... where was Music coming from?
Can you answer that?

WHY did it disappear then?

Don´t tell me it was coming from the Preamp or anothar source: it keeps working as before and yet WE HEAR NOTHING ANY MORE.
No is not working as before because needs electrons to function .also you need food and water to function and yet from food and water you have emotions .

Stop drinking and eating and in a few days your emotions will disappear .

So because there is an amplified mass of electrons and the electrons movement or let's say "rithm" inside the amp the electrons will pass thru caps and the caps will be the gates . The best caps ever are called Black Gates for a very good reason . They knew about this ...
Allow me to introduce some physics. I hope you realise that, although we often talk about alternating current flowing 'through' a capacitor, it actually doesn't!

The electrons do not pass through the capacitor, but simply oscillate on either side of the capacitor plates.

As the electrons flow on and off the capacitor plates, voltages build up across the plates. These 'back EMFs' oppose the alternating current in the circuit.

A capacitor controls the flow of electrons in the circuit because of this opposition, which is called reactance and is measured in ohms.

[My PC will not accept a direct quote at present; not that I blame it .... :rolleyes:]

Robert 2017,

Pardon OT: A kind request that you try treat members with some more respect and fewer assumptions than shown in your post #32:

People like you have little knowledge about haw amp actually work ..

At the risk of revealing a confidentiality here : The person you refer to actually has a Ph.D. Want to reconsider your accusation somewhat?? :) :)

Regarding what can be measured: Human hearing has been tested and 'modelled' extensively over many decades now (that least of all in the interest of hi-fi; rather to use acousto-physical information in aid of relief for the hearing-impaired. Reams of information exist: Internet etc.)

Subsequently, audio electronic measurement instrumentation has existed for - oh, a few decades at least - which is comfortably able to measure/analyse audio performance to, at present, an order of magnitude better than even the best 'golden ear' is capable of detecting. (This includes analyses of the physiology of the hearing mechanism, through the eighth nerve and into the brain.)

Although most has been said, I will add my little bit on what is what regarding capacitors in audio after some sleep. (See time of day or rather night!)

.... or cancel my varsity training and re-apply for education in a parallel universe somewhere - if such has the dimension of time ....

No is not working as before because needs electrons to function .also you need food and water to function and yet from food and water you have emotions .

Stop drinking and eating and in a few days your emotions will disappear .

Just a bit of info on the O.P.:
They have started the same thread and argued the same point on another forum. There is no convincing their assumptions are incorrect and not based in reality. You can explain electronics theory in even the most simplistic manner and they ignore it. Initially seems curious and open to new information, but spirals into a nonsensical rant. Whether this is due to not being told what they want to hear or they suffer from a narcissistic disorder (posts becoming less and less intelligible is a sign) it doesn't matter. You're wasting your time trying to communicate with them.
This is by no means meant to be a personal attack or to accuse them of misusing these forums. They obviously believe: Their theories are fact, none of us understand what they are saying and we don't know what's important when it comes to audio electronics.

Allow me to introduce some physics. I hope you realise that, although we often talk about alternating current flowing 'through' a capacitor, it actually doesn't!

The electrons do not pass through the capacitor, but simply oscillate on either side of the capacitor plates.

As the electrons flow on and off the capacitor plates, voltages build up across the plates. These 'back EMFs' oppose the alternating current in the circuit.

A capacitor controls the flow of electrons in the circuit because of this opposition, which is called reactance and is measured in ohms.
When I mentioned " electrons pass through the capacitor" I WAS REFERING that they interact with the capacitor construction !!.But it seems that you want to reduce the whole concept to some simple basic old theory .

In your opinion audio caps are just marketing ?

When I mentioned " electrons pass through the capacitor" I WAS REFERING that they interact with the capacitor construction !!.But it seems that you want to reduce the whole concept to some simple basic old theory .

Capacitors pass alternating current because they are electrostatic devices. The dielectric prevents D.C. current flow from one plate to the other. Since A.C. swings from a point above 0 Volts to a point below over and over again, we have a charge-discharge cycle going on internally. The capacitors charge is maintained by an electrostatic field surrounding the plates and as that field strength increases and decreases so does the voltage on the plates.

In the same way transformers have no physical connection between the primary and secondary. Transformers are electromagnetic devices and use the principal of induction.

Most "audio" electrolytic caps either have paper impregnated with graphite (Black Gate), made with silk fiber (Silmic) or are mechanically damped (KZ). They function exactly like any other electrolytic capacitor. No empirical evedence has ever demonstrated they "sound better" since they are passive components and can not introduce harmonic or other disortion mechanisms associated with lower fidelity. These have been established for many years, not only through lab tests, but also with listening tests.

When I mentioned " electrons pass through the capacitor" I WAS REFERING that they interact with the capacitor construction !!.
What does that mean?
The point is that you were caught red handed posting ignorance of basic Electronics and rather than acknowledge it, you try to sidestep your own statement.
But it seems that you want to reduce the whole concept to some simple basic old theory .
Basic old? So what?
That is irrelevant, the point is whether such theory properly explains Reality or not.
Theories/Physics Laws we refer to are well proven, tested by millions, and give consistent results, while your pet theory is only backed by yourself.

As a side note/example: Ohm´s Law was formulated in 1827 , and is as basic as can be ... do you say it does not apply any more because it´s "basic and old?" :rolleyes:
It certainly meets your disqualifying statements ... not that they hold much water in any case :rolleyes:
Yes.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ed,
Chris, the power flows from the amplifier into the loudspeaker. It is the voltage and current that reverse in AC power. Both positive then the power is positive. Both negative, same thing.

Minor point but a bit important.
I'm sorry, but I am missing your point. Power is delivered from the amplifier. I guess we can use the term, generated. Okay, no problem. The power generated in the amplifier is delivered and dissipated in the speaker. So far, so good. From my understanding, power does not flow. It is either generated or dissipated. I did say that it was current flowing I think. I do know I did not use the term "power" or that it flows. I think I used the term "energy" actually. Was this a misunderstanding and we are both trying to say the same thing?

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi mchambin,
Listening tests versus lab instrument tests, a debate that will go on forever.
It's not an either or situation though. All good technicians and designers not only trust their instrumentation, but they also listen to the equipment (which I am doing right now). On the other hand, those that have "golden ears" only listen. They often do not have test equipment, or test equipment good enough for the task at hand. From that perspective I can see where they would assume that what they hear cannot be measured. Too bad they can't afford the time and money needed to gain a more complete picture of what is really going on.

-Chris

Electrons pass thru the capacitor......Well.
Yes and No.
No, they do not jump from one plate to the other.
Yes, there are electons going in or out ( current ) of the terminals.
Mind boggling, isn'it !

Let's charge a high voltage cap ( I have a nice Whimshurst machine for that ), then give it in the hands of somebody....He will get a beafy electric shock. Current flew from the cap into his hands, however no electron flew from one plate to the other in the capacitor ( a Leyd bottle ).
This is how I welcome Jehovah's Witnesses when knocking at my door.

What's going on is more or less electrons at the plates and an electric field in between.

To dig in this topic of electrostatic, have a look here: Electrostatic induction - Wikipedia

Hi mchambin,

It's not an either or situation though. All good technicians and designers not only trust their instrumentation, but they also listen to the equipment (which I am doing right now). On the other hand, those that have "golden ears" only listen. They often do not have test equipment, or test equipment good enough for the task at hand. From that perspective I can see where they would assume that what they hear cannot be measured. Too bad they can't afford the time and money needed to gain a more complete picture of what is really going on.

-Chris

I simply don't trust my not so golden ears so I trust measurements.
Or i listen to music and don't care much about sound quality...( unless it is as bad as in my car where the speakers rattle real bad even at low volume ).

Last edited:
Capacitors pass alternating current because they are electrostatic devices. The dielectric prevents D.C. current flow from one plate to the other. Since A.C. swings from a point above 0 Volts to a point below over and over again, we have a charge-discharge cycle going on internally. The capacitors charge is maintained by an electrostatic field surrounding the plates and as that field strength increases and decreases so does the voltage on the plates.

In the same way transformers have no physical connection between the primary and secondary. Transformers are electromagnetic devices and use the principal of induction.

Most "audio" electrolytic caps either have paper impregnated with graphite (Black Gate), made with silk fiber (Silmic) or are mechanically damped (KZ). They function exactly like any other electrolytic capacitor. No empirical evedence has ever demonstrated they "sound better" since they are passive components and can not introduce harmonic or other disortion mechanisms associated with lower fidelity. These have been established for many years, not only through lab tests, but also with listening tests.
They are not passive components as you may think and yes THEY INTRODUCE harmonic or other disortion mechanisms associated with lower or higher fidelity.
In order to proof for your self you just need 2 identical amps . You fill an amp with cheap small china caps that are functional and measure good. And you fill the other amp with audio caps . After that you can do blind tests switching from A to B and also your friends can participate.
Also keep in mind that audio caps need time to break in

If you have good ears you will be astounded...but some have hearing problems because are to old or is biological

Last edited:
What does that mean?
The point is that you were caught red handed posting ignorance of basic Electronics and rather than acknowledge it, you try to sidestep your own statement.

Basic old? So what?
That is irrelevant, the point is whether such theory properly explains Reality or not.
Theories/Physics Laws we refer to are well proven, tested by millions, and give consistent results, while your pet theory is only backed by yourself.

As a side note/example: Ohm´s Law was formulated in 1827 , and is as basic as can be ... do you say it does not apply any more because it´s "basic and old?" :rolleyes:
It certainly meets your disqualifying statements ... not that they hold much water in any case :rolleyes:

Yes.
:nownow:how old are you ?
On this forums I see a lot of guys acting the exact way !. They say audio caps is just marketing hoax and they use classical old lows I presume learned in 80s.
I must conclude that 90% of those guys are over 55 years old.
At that age your hearing is very restricted so probably you won't hear any difference because is your biology that is blurring the reality:geezer::wchair:

robert2017 said:
If you use electrolytics in the speakers crossovers you will never ever hear a difference by changing caps inside amps.
Has anyone in this thread recommended using electrolytics in speaker crossovers?

People like you have little knowledge about haw amp actually work .
Boot. Foot. Other.

Also you think that even if the caps have something to do with the direct signal there won't be a difference between different caps if those are on the usual specs .

For example the power supply caps will have an effect on the final sound output out of the speakers in kind of an indirect way as they are not actually in the signal path.
Again, has anyone said that in this thread?

The picture below shows a very basic tone control circuit. Notice the .01 microfarad capacitor in the bass control part of the circuit. There are those that would say that it is not part of the signal path because it is connected to ground (one should think in terms of return rather than ground as I will discuss later).
Some people don't understand the concept of signal path. So what? Has anyone in this thread said that shunt components are not in the signal path? Why are you erecting so many false targets? Why not address what we say, instead of criticising what we have not said?

When adding a small bypass capacitor to a large filter capacitor, it becomes part of the return and its contribution can be defined mathematically. No two power supply/amplifier combinations will function exactly the same. The contribution of the small capacitor may be vanishingly small or it my be more.

In some situations the addition of a small capacitor may degrade the power supply for a number of technical reasons resulting in additional noise/ringing in the power supply.

In very highly technical and complicated terms (sorry I would like to make it simple), it comes down to where the current comes from, where it goes and how it gets back home.Click the image to open in full size.
We are not frightened of maths here, so feel free to show us the equations. You will find that a bypass cap is almost always unnecessary, and sometimes harmful.

Of course that is fundamental physics but is just bugging my head when I see the same non sense repeated over and over again that "all caps are the same "
Who has said in this thread that all caps are the same?

I don't understand why someone will like to lie and deceive him self into false beliefs ?
When someone disagrees with you do you always accuse him of telling lies? Not a very helpful debating method.

robert2017 said:
Nope is not just electrical energy is electrical musical synergy between different components .
Galu's statement was correct: a capacitor stores electrical energy. The physics does not distinguish between musical 'energy' and any other sort of 'energy'.

The subatomic electrons are traveling thru components to bring out music .
Not really. They don't travel "through" all components, they just jiggle around. They are not "bringing out music" but merely amplifying a voltage analogue signal which happens to be conveying what we call music.

traderbam said:
Then we have what I call a "system problem" when evaluating their sound quality. That is that the affect will be hugely dependent on what system the capacitor is tested in. If I think A Mundorf electrolytic sounds worse than an Elna Silmic II in the feedback blocking cap of my amplifier, there is no guarantee it will have the same effect in the same place in your amp or in a power supply or whatever because parts interact. So when someone says they have listened to capacitor X and it does Y to the sound, you cannot trust this to give the same result in your own system.
This is the point I was making: how a cap behaves depends on how it is used in the circuit.

Galu said:
What I want to quantify is by how much an alternating voltage has to change in order to double the capacitance of a capacitor.
There is perhaps a difficulty with definition here. If capacitance is changing significantly with voltage (as for some ceramic caps) then it could be argued that the capacitor does not have 'a capacitance' so it cannot have double the capacitance either. You could look at average capacitance over the AC cycle.

robert2017 said:
They are not passive components as you may think and yes THEY INTRODUCE harmonic or other disortion mechanisms associated with lower or higher fidelity.
Capacitors, resistors and transformers are passive components. This is a matter of definition, not open to personal interpretation. They are not ideal, but that is a different concept. It is difficult to have a meaningful discussion with someone who wants to use private meanings of words.

If you have good ears you will be astounded...but some have hearing problems because are to old or is biological
Ah, the 'you are deaf' accusation was bound to appear. We now wait for 'you are poor'.

Status
Not open for further replies.