Real or fake PCM63?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: To All,

irgendjemand said:
Here are my suggestion:

- Guido Tent & Bernhard will meet and find a way to produce a DAC based on PCM56.
- We will buy it, all of us, as a Group (reduced price)
- To easily finance this, we shell sell at first our cables (for down-payments) and our not-anymore-needed-once-heavily-modified Transports (later, for the Shipment costs, etc). A simple player would do the work.

Very silently I want to mention plans for production of a 4 layer PCB with 8 x PCM56 parallel, 2 PCBs per DAC channel (balanced), probably gold plated traces. Total 32 x PCM56 per DAC.

Start to save your :$: :$: :$:

Re: Re: Re: Re: D1V3 in Progress...

irgendjemand said:
Might be, but if so, how come there is such a big sound-difference between my CD72-SE and CD10? Both are being used as a transport only, and mostly important: Both got the same treatment.

The Marantz CD 10 is a disaster to be modified. I could put a better clock in it but.... Moreover, a have met Guido today and he is not so fond of the CD 10......

The CD72-SE, is that also Marantz? I cannot find any documentation on: 'Marantz CD72 SE'.....
Before I promise to modify the player (or transport as it is called here) I must have some insight in the circuits.....

By the way, do you use a separate DAC as well, and if so, which one?

Re: Re: Re: Re: D1V3 in Progress...

irgendjemand said:

Might be, but if so, how come there is such a big sound-difference between my CD72-SE and CD10? Both are being used as a transport only, and mostly important: Both got the same treatment!!

Guess your CD10 is better, right? CD72 is a bitstream machine with plastic cdm4, CD10 has a metal cdm4. Now i don't think the material matters as such, but what could matter is that the plastic cdm has a 'toy' motor for the spindle and the metal has the hall motor.

Next to that, it's wheight, power supplies etc. I think both have a 7310 is the decoder and a pcfxxxx chip for spdif out. But i don't have schematics to back that up.

Fixed a cd10 one day (laser transplant) and it's a nice machine. From what i can remember, the dac section is on a separate pcb. Handy for modding.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: D1V3 in Progress...

guido said:

Guess your CD10 is better, right? CD72 is a bitstream machine with plastic cdm4, CD10 has a metal cdm4. Now i don't think the material matters as such, but what could matter is that the plastic cdm has a 'toy' motor for the spindle and the metal has the hall motor.

The CD 10 is a bit stream machine ! I wonder if the CD72 is also a bit stream one. Modifying bit streem DAC's is not so easy....

I thought a CDM4 is a CDM4. There is NO plastic CDM4 AND a metal CDM4....

If the I2S in the system is well reclocked and the 'back end' behind it is powered from a SEPARATE power supply (from 220 V AC on) you build a real brick wall between the turn table, the servo system and, and, and, so the system becomes INDEPENDENT of the front end....

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Bernhard said:

I missed a whole page of the thread...

If this is a dithered -60dB signal, all chips are garbage.

My best PCM56 are -67dB with 8x os, and -62 dB non os.

Your chip definitions seem to be rather fluid Bernhard. One days mediocre is the next days garbage or so it seems:

-40 is garbage TDA 1540, TDA1543
-45 is very bad
-50 is bad
-55 is mediocre TDA1541
-60 is good
-65 is very good
-67 is absolute maximum I found among PCM56

Note: Just looked at the PCM56 data sheets and see the K grade -60dB THD+N quoted as -35dB typ. vs the PCM63 at -48dB. I don't quite understand the massive difference between Bernhard's figures and the factory spec.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Seriously, I don't see how it is possible to directly compare absolute figures given the variables in play:

- Measuring device
- FFT settings
- Test Signal frequency
- DAC supporting electronics

I had thought it had been established very early in the thread that data was only comparable between tests done in the same rig, otherwise we are comparing apples and avocados.

fwiw there is a fantastic article on theortical dac SNR and FFT noise floors here:
http://www.analog.com/en/content/0,2886,761%5F795%5F88014%5F0,00.html

There is roughly a 20dB difference between the FFT noise floor of a 4096 FFT and the 323,xxx FFT I was using in RMAA. The theoretical noise floor of a 20bit dac is something like -122dB, and BB specified the typical idle noise floor as -120dB. The theoretical noise floor of a 16bit dac - like pcm56 - is -98dB, so the -67dB quoted by Bernhard sits something like 24dB below the theoretical noise floor. :scratch:

PA0SU said:
The Marantz CD 10 is a disaster to be modified. I could put a better clock in it but.... Moreover, a have met Guido today and he is not so fond of the CD 10......

Please see the nice & supportive text of GuidoB about the CD10, here: Fixed a cd10 one day (laser transplant) and it's a nice machine. From what i can remember, the dac section is on a separate pcb. Handy for modding

To your information – it is being used by me as a transport, only.

I am using a separate DAC: It is a strongly modified AVM DAC 1.2 DAC/pre, with CS8414/DF1704/PCM63P-Y, OsCons in the Digital section; 4x Burson's OpAmps in I/V + Black Gate, Class A biased OpAmps (8x BB 627 BP) in the preamp section.

Next thing on my own check list: XO in the DAC and the SPDIF-Out of the CD10. Am I wrong?

spzzzzkt said:

Your chip definitions seem to be rather fluid Bernhard. One days mediocre is the next days garbage or so it seems:

If this was a standard DAC chip I would call it mediocre, it is (?) a high grade selected 20 bit DAC so...

spzzzzkt said:

Note: Just looked at the PCM56 data sheets and see the K grade -60dB THD+N quoted as -35dB typ. vs the PCM63 at -48dB. I don't quite understand the massive difference between Bernhard's figures and the factory spec.

The factory specs are without MSB network.
Using the MSB adjust option gives most chips a high boost.

spzzzzkt said:
Seriously, I don't see how it is possible to directly compare absolute figures given the variables in play:

- Measuring device
- FFT settings
- Test Signal frequency
- DAC supporting electronics

I had thought it had been established very early in the thread that data was only comparable between tests done in the same rig, otherwise we are comparing apples and avocados.

The theoretical noise floor of a 16bit dac - like pcm56 - is -98dB, so the -67dB quoted by Bernhard sits something like 24dB below the theoretical noise floor. :scratch:

I tested PCM63s with the same analyzer settings and they had no chance.

The noise floor goes down because of averaging.

irgendjemand said:

I am using a separate DAC: It is a strongly modified AVM DAC 1.2 DAC/pre, with CS8414/DF1704/PCM63P-Y, OsCons in the Digital section; 4x Burson's OpAmps in I/V + Black Gate, Class A biased OpAmps (8x BB 627 BP) in the preamp section.

Next thing on my own check list: XO in the DAC and the SPDIF-Out of the CD10. Am I wrong?

Yes, you should put the XO in the DAC (near the reclocking circuits just before the PCM63's) lead back the XO-signal to the CD10 and enhance the SPDIF output in the CD10. This is in short.
If there is no reclocking circuit in the DAC, it should be inserted!

My offer is:
update the SPDIF output from the CD10,
insert the reclocking circuits in the DAC (if they are not already there),
place a real good XO in the DAC, and
make an extra B&C-connection between DAC and CD10 for the 'clock-back'.

I'm as curious as you to hear the differences.....

PA0SU said:

Yes, you should put the XO in the DAC (near the reclocking circuits just before the PCM63's) lead back the XO-signal to the CD10 and enhance the SPDIF output in the CD10. This is in short.
If there is no reclocking circuit in the DAC, it should be inserted!

My offer is:
update the SPDIF output from the CD10,
insert the reclocking circuits in the DAC (if they are not already there),
place a real good XO in the DAC, and
make an extra B&C-connection between DAC and CD10 for the 'clock-back'.

I'm as curious as you to hear the differences.....

Herb,
This is indeed what I am thinking of; will have to fine the time for it, in the summer.

Paul,
You were going different way in your D1V3 with the Tents (?).

Greetings, IY.

irgendjemand said:

Herb,
This is indeed what I am thinking of; will have to fine the time for it, in the summer.
IY.

As a retired man i take a looooooooong holiday..... and 'the job' will take more than one day.....

Another important question: are the clock frequencies in the DAC and the CD10 equal? The CD10 runs on 11.2896 MHz. If the frequency in the DAC is different, then there is a lot more work to do....

16 or 20 bits?

Gentlemen,
In the article mentioned before Eq. 10 gives an SNR of 99,25 dB for 16 bits and 134,62 dB for 20 bits with 8x oversampling.

The source for the measurements is a CD.
I'm wondering which figure counts in our case. The digital filter and the DAC (in my case) are both 20 bits, but the signal source is 16 bits.....

PA0SU said:
As a retired man i take a looooooooong holiday..... and 'the job' will take more than one day.....

Another important question: are the clock frequencies in the DAC and the CD10 equal? The CD10 runs on 11.2896 MHz. If the frequency in the DAC is different, then there is a lot more work to do....

You might have missed my earlier Post, no. 285... :headshot: Nevertheless, I was thinking of having a "Tent-Link" which uses XO and VCXO :djinn:. One of the reasons for this - the AVM DAC 1.2 and the Marantz CD10 Transport are having indeed different Quartz frequencies... :t_ache:
May be I will do it myself at home; will take not more then one week of work ... :snail: but I will have fun :yikes: .

PA0SU said:

Bernhard: read the last sentence in the above article. :clown:

Averaging a number of FFTs does not further reduce the noise floor, it simply reduces the variations between the individual noise spectral component amplitudes.

It does not average the FFTs but the input signal before the FFT.
It shall reduce the noise floor of the signal, not that of the analyzer.

spzzzzkt said:

There is roughly a 20dB difference between the FFT noise floor of a 4096 FFT and the 323,xxx FFT I was using in RMAA. The theoretical noise floor of a 20bit dac is something like -122dB,

without oversampling and without FFT processing gain: 10.log (M/2)

and BB specified the typical idle noise floor as -120dB. The theoretical noise floor of a 16bit dac - like pcm56 - is -98dB,

again: without oversampling and without FFT processing gain
so the -67dB quoted by Bernhard sits something like 24dB below the theoretical noise floor. :scratch:

so, without specifying the times of oversampling and the xxx-point FFT, you can't judge the numbers of Bernhard.

8 times oversampling yields 12,46 dB,
a 4096-point FFT yields 33 dB,
a 2048-point FFT yields 6 dB, and
a 323,xxx-point FFT yields 3 dB. :rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.