• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ready-to-Run (RTR) SSR DC Speaker Protection and Delay GB

I just tested the concept of using a 5v USB phone charger to power a 24v DCDC step up to power the SSR. With the 5v USB tied to same switch as main PSU, speakers cut off instantly. You can see that the main rail caps LEDs are still glowing.

XRK Audio on Instagram: “Testing capability of SSR to disable speakers off quickly using external 24v SMPS powered from 5v USB phone charger tied to same circuit as…”

Thanks xrk, I’ll order a 24v Meanwell and see how it goes! Does running from a dedicated supply rather than the amplifiers supply have any effect on the DC protect side of things?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Xrk, instead of inside amplifier I would like to put this soft start in my main AC filter supply case, it has a big isolation transformer 230v-230v for all components in the system (audio,computer and video).
Does it makes sense? Is there a board for one only primary leadout transformer? dissapoint not having the remote feature on a one single transformer version.
Jordi.

Let me ask Jhofland if we can incorporate this feature into the single trafo version. Sounds like time to start a dedicated thread.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
GB Status Update:
xrk971 16 units USA *increased*
tcpip 6 units USA
mbrennwa 6 units Switzerland / ordered + payed @ Etsy
Andyr 4 units AUS *Pre-order Placed*
Schlomoff 4 units FR
jwjarch 4 units USA
Meanie 2 units Singapore *Pre-order placed*

For folks who have not placed their preorders yet, please do so soon so that I can get the production kicked off.

Thanks!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Folks,
Actually, before starting production of GB2, it seems maybe adding two changes would be in order. (1) isolating the speaker -ve from the PSU ground will allow use of this with BTL amps where both +ve and -ve speaker outputs are live; (2) a remote enable feature that allows a 1mA remotely provided signal from an external logic device like an MCU or relay to shut off the SSR's (typical 3.3v or higher logic levels from micro-controller general purpose I/O pins will work). This may be useful for folks who want to control the SSR themselves to follow a certain startup or shutdown sequence, or even to provide user-directed speaker muting. It will also tie in nicely with the to be built Soft Start circuit. We think a small change of an added optoisolator, a MOSFET, a resistor, and set of PCB header pins for bypassing the "enable" feature, and a second Molex KK connector should not be too difficult to do and is a minor change that we will test and verify via P2P prior to the fabrication.

Here is the proposed circuit from Jhofland:
attachment.php

Attachments

• SSR-Schematic-V1.9.jpg
    SSR-Schematic-V1.9.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 708
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It sounds like the Meanwell has internal capacitance. 15w at 24v is capable of 625mA. The SSR’s need 40mA for the pair.

To drain 625mA in 1 second will take something like 39R 25w resistor. And it will get hot.

You could use the Meanwell to power a DC-DC with almost zero storage - that’s what I used.

Maybe something like this? (Not same as what I used)

2A DC Boost Step up Adjustable Converter Micro USB 2-24V to 5v-28v 6v 9v 12v 15v | eBay

Hi X, not yet, but will do a stand alone test on all SSR boards I have received next month before wiring them into the many power amp projects I have planned for 2020 and beyond!!

The biggest issue with power amps is the cost and procuring the enclosures.

Happy New Year to all, my god 2020 starts tomorrow!! The years seem to fly by these days - must be part of getting older:confused:

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes the enclosures and psu cost is 90% cost of the amp. You have heard this before: with the new quick connect flying leads for output MOSFETs, PSU, and speakers, we can keep the chassis/psu/connectors constant and swap out amp PCBs if the PCB format is standardized. The Alpha Nirvana is the first of such a format. After all, we can’t listen to more than 1 amp at a time unless you have an active multi-way setup.

Yes X, your newer designs make that a lot easier task.

I have three stereo Hi Fi set ups so can be evaluating and listening to three different power amps at a time, but I am also planning on how to build them to be able to re use enclosures more efficiently without stripping them back to scratch.

Still a task though with different outputs on the heat sinks namely, Lateral fets , Mosfets, BJT's, and some more exotic types like the Semisouth SIC's.