Radian 5208c coaxial project

It's important to note (again) that the acoustic phase alignment corresponds to the Co-ax baffle positioned directly above the H-frame opening.

Attachments

• OB_pic.png
    OB_pic.png
    516.1 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Dear Dave

Wow, the measurements look impressive, nice work, can only imagine how well this sounds! You guys are having all the fun!

Curious: is this using the aluminum tweeter diaphragm? If so, I wonder if the crossover would need adjustment if Radian's Truextent beryllium diaphragm were used?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Hello David,
I am pretty sure that Terry's Radians are aluminum. Next time I talk with him I'll confirm that.

These are the only 5208c drivers that I have experienced. I don't know how the beryllium models differ in performance.

The Radian Audio website seems to link to the same datasheet for either aluminum or beryllium. :confused:

Dear Dave

Thanks so much! You're right, I haven't been able to find another spec sheet on the beryllium version either. Judging from experience, frequency response tends to be very similar up to the extended treble, where a beryllium appears to roll off, but then, looking at a waterfall plot, it turns out what's "louder" in the aluminum versions is severe dome breakup. So if anything, the beryllium might need more of a lift above 10k or higher, not less - again, in my experience. In those instances where I could listen to direct comparisons (doesn't include the 8" coaxial discussed here), this difference is audible: the aluminum seems "livelier" at first, but sounds "annoying" in comparison after a short while.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.