RAAL 70-20xr and PTT6.5 Compact TL

Joined 2014
Paid Member
custom OEM Wiggins XBL
Could you just clarify this phrase as it could be read a couple of ways, but seems to be saying a woofer made for you that we can't buy?

As for VFM the law of diminishing returns cuts in very quickly and gets very flat. But I am intrigued to understand the inference that after much investigation of TL loading you have landed on a PR as being just as good, or am I missing something?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sorry, the woofer is a custom aluminum cone one for LSA and is not available for sale. But you can look at the Misco BWX-6502 which uses same patented XBL technology but is in paper cone. I’m sure it sounds great looking at the measured specs.

https://audioxpress.com/article/test-bench-the-bwx-6502-midbass-from-misco-s-bold-north-audio-line

The XBL works perfectly as a drop in replacement for the Purifi in my TL. Which was one reason I didn’t see the point of spending that much anymore. This was the Purifi TL but with the Wiggins XBL and our custom ribbon and non optimized crossover - the one from the RAAL and Purifi :)

1704680605702.png

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Sorry, the woofer is a custom aluminum cone one for LSA and is not available for sale.
Thank you for clarifying.
The XBL works perfectly as a drop in replacement for the Purifi in my TL. Which was one reason I didn’t see the point of spending that much anymore
Ah, I completely misconstrued what you were saying there. My bad.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
No worries. I think Dan Wiggins licenses his technology to many companies. So Misco is one option. There are others too I think. I really like how they sound and the work he did on making the motor have a linear BL curve is great. It’s also got 10mm Xmax - which is rare for 6.5in driver before Purifi came along. This was years before Purifi but they had the brand recognition of Bruno Putzeys on the design team.

One with Raal 64-10 https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/best-8-inch-woofer.278192/post-7562003

I'm planing to put 3 more HM per box so that it form an 8ohm (2+2 series in paralel) so that with 4 midbass in box I get more spl enough so that Raal get no attenuation but only one capacitor : ) If atenuation is more than 1ohm than an paralel 0.62mH must be added as 64-10 is designed strictly to 3k crossover point, but shifting midbass spl to the right value and attenuation is not need at all the same time only one capacitor can be used for Raal 64-10. How this Raal sound? I can confirm all described on this page https://www.raalribbon.com/products_flatfoil_70-10.htm : )

Attachments

• Crossover for RAAL 64-10.pdf
    133.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
64-10 is strictly designed for 3k freq and reguire only one capacitor 4.7uF, if you put something else it not going to work nice. This tweeter not working as like other tweeters, it have an builtin inductance of 0.62mH which is part of the crossower, take a look at post 138 for idea. If you need to get nice maximum from this tweeter look for an eficient midbass with the same spl as tweeter and design crossower so that tweeter not get atenuation at all but only one 4.7uF copacitor, it will overperform anything you heard recently believe me! I'm using this tweeter for almost ten years, my reference speaker.

If attenuation is need more than 1ohm than you must put an paralel inductance like this:

Attachments

• 2024-02-03_160238.jpg
    2024-02-03_160238.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited: