Questions of faith - reflections on your own taste, thoughts about right or wrong!

do this as soon as possible
A little patience please, the daily job being demanding (offshore windmills, hush-hush), notes from memory (made a pencil drawing with snapshot calculations indeed yesterday night), sketching in orcad, simu's in aimspice, verifying it in tina...
And agreed, it's a contraction of existing circuit parts, but never seen anywhere:
remodeling suggestion
So much that is true.
one's own religion
Huh? I'm beyond such faith, so meaningless to me.
Consider me an old man, and not inclined to proove a relative truth.

Attachments

• IBBH.jpg
    IBBH.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: 1 user
Adjustable (car or bike) suspension systems are the rule in top motorsport: it's all about optimum adaptation to changing conditions, even while driving;-)

By the way: a trimmer sounds better than most resistors. If someone asks about audio quality, I would recommend a trimmer.
It also allows a more precise adjustment than "fixed" resistors. If you want to have a "fixed" transistor, you can
a) glue the trimmer setting fix or
b) find and replace some resistors with the probably unavailable resistor value.

No problem!
Take your time with the publication of your circuit and the anabolic steroids used - but don't make it so exciting that our nerves can't take it!

Maybe you can get your circuit, a modern interpretation of the J. H. proposal, all down on paper this weekend?
The other faction refuses to give concrete details on any fundamental connections, correlations and real causes. Instead, this speaker perpetuates his usual mantra - he finds this funny.

Citizen124032,
without your circuit idea /schematic, which is certain to identify the usual Lego bricks, the diplomatic overtures of this thread/ecumenism are doomed to failure.

Best regards
HBt.

A well designed circuit should not be dependent of external correction mechanisms, being pots or otherwise.
I prefer to listen to music, not to adjust settings into eternaty.
If I'm not misinterpreting his circuit, hbtaudio's trimpots are essentially set and forget. No eternal adjustments necessary, although I do appreciate keeping the thread on-topic with the timescale. The alternatives: design the circuit for very specific mosfet characteristics and spend time and money finding the perfect ones, or have a more elaborate bias scheme (likely with its own imperfections).

The usual trimming potentiometers are (generally) adjusted once, for the initial setting of the quiescent current and often also to correct the inevitable DC voltage component of a power amplifier output.

This is neither naughty nor atypical, but normal practice. At the same time, it would be easy to replace the two potentiometers with fixed resistors of the E48 or E96 series, especially in the present circuit.

Unfortunately, you are then also fixed to the resulting quiescent current and you can no longer adjust anything.

The PLH by Nelson Pass contains three trim potentiometers, the 1996 proposal by John Linsley Hood two of these, as Citizen124032 says, “naughty or nasty” components.

Almost all VBE multipliers have an adjustment option with these small trimmers.
We don't need to say much about Einstein's theory of relativity or about trimmer potentiometers.

By the way: a trimmer sounds better than most resistors. If someone asks about audio quality, I would recommend a trimmer.
It also allows a more precise adjustment than "fixed" resistors. If you want to have a "fixed" transistor, you can
a) glue the trimmer setting fix or
b) find and replace some resistors with the probably unavailable resistor value.
The part below what you deleted explains why the trimmer sounds better. Because a trimmer adjusted to the RIGHT value will work (therefore sound) better than the WRONG value fixed resistor. In places where an exact value matters (and cannot be predetermined).

BTW, the practice of putting in (sometimes field adjustable) series/parallel fixed resistors to adjust a circuit is called….. TRIMMING. If it’s what you need to do to accomplish your goals it’s what you need to do.

Statements like this one, for example, are intended to imply (in context) that the other circuit is not well thought out.

“A well designed circuit should not be dependent of external (...)”

This makes clever use of the fact that it is essentially coherent and must always contain a subjunctive mood - you can fall back on your own viewpoint and freedom of opinion at any time.

I think these methods and techniques need no further explanation.

My power amp suggestion - for home hi-fi:
A simple SE with a TO-126 transistor on a simple load resistor, TO-126 case. Nothing more. Things like CS and CCS and all that fail sonically because of the transistors. The sound of the best resistors is cleaner and clearer than that of the best transistors.

Is this for ultra sensitive headphones?

A close friend with 100db/W/m speakers using only 6db/oct crossovers, after trying lots of rare DHTs with Tango and permalloy UTC iron ended up with 200W of SS might :)

I listen more calmly, but cannot in all seriousness call anything below 10W a "power amp". And the simple resistor load for this needs to be rated at 100W at least. Are you sure such high power resistors are the lesser evil compared to a CCS?

And what's with the single PS? Please explain!

;)

There is homework to be done:
Make "double mono" power supplies. Connect these using cables and switches. And then listen, and occasionally switch the switch to connect or disconnect these channel-separated power supplies.
And take your time;-)

First homework for the first class in the development and construction of audio amplifiers;-)