Purifi 1ET400A Measurements

closed account
Joined 2007
I am write about components, quality and price and not about the sound. If the SMPS are good in both, the sound quality will be determined by the amplification section.

The price of any product is not only determined by the components.
In fact, it is easy to make a bad and very expensive product with esoteric components and a good sounding design will be more difficult to develop, and will still sound better even with normal components. I am not worried by the brand of the capacitors of a power supply if they are good enough for the intended purpose and when used within the declared thermal limits. The Hypex SMPS are known for their reliability and low noise and this is all I need.

If you buy a couple of Crestnet 600W SMPS or a pair of Connex RxE series ones, and either a Hypex SMPS1200 or two smaller ones (also Hypex), if you consider VAT and customs you will not end up with significantly different costs, and the difference will be even smaller with respect of the total of a DIY amplifier BOM.

Tom Christiansen was really surprised by the pricing of the 1ET400A. If he senses a potential market, he may manufacture boards to connect the universal buffer to the Purifis, but we have to persuade him. I would probably use Connex SMPSs with small additional Mean Well if necessary for additional voltages.

Roberto

Last edited:
Maybe a new Cresnet SMPs with 2x 64 Vdc designed specified to PURIFI 1ET400A would be a good idea.

Working hard to show something in 2020 for sure, I am working hard on the new designs, because I cannot release anything before making sure it passes my tests.

Attachments

• IMG_20191130_141854.jpg
    IMG_20191130_141854.jpg
    805.9 KB · Views: 632
I'd rather be more interested in why a Cresnet (with supposedly better quality components) would improve on a Hypex (or whatever brand) SMPS.

Very good question indeed, and here are some points:-

1- Using higher quality components, only highest quality .
2- All SMPS units I make can be repaired by the user.
3- Unmatched technical support.
4-My SMPS units offers things HYPEX dont offer, like STANDBY switch replacing mechanical switches, AC LOSS output, Isolated AUX12V output.
5- Usually they sound better than HYPEX, and this was proven by the DIY community not by me.
6- Cheaper than HYPEX

HYPEX

1- Using lower quality components
2- If HYPEX SMPS failes, 95% chance is send it to trash, and this is also for most products made by them, I have received countless number of powered speakers uses there modules and SMPS, and they all went to trash. replace full module.
3- Ask them for support, they ask you to send the product back.
4- they dont offer those things
5- they sound dry
6- it is expensive

I have no intention in any way to degrade the HYPEX products quality, they are great company who delivers very nice products, and in no way I can compete with them sooner or later. This is a market for business and HYPEX is pretty large company with talented people.

Thats only an answer to your question, and I am making SMPS units for the DIY community.

Last edited:
Well, why are the Su'scons capacitors inadequate? Would other capacitors be better? Also, yes, on some builds there may be a heat buildup, but that's the purpose of using proper heatsinks or ventilation (I have a Noctua fan on my raspberry, half a meter from me, and it is inaudible).

Another alternative, in case one wants to same some money, are the Connex power supplies.

its amazing how some people given the knowledge thinks a capacitor brand dictates total outcome and is the be all end all of a product, i see no claim of synchronous rectification or quality and safety of the etd magnetics used, safety / ISO standards.. no. Nichicon caps will make all the problems go away. hahaha

Last edited:
Puribuffer

Maybe later someone will be encouraged to create an open DIY buffer that tries to improve the kit, adding functionalities, expandability... complex DSP.

Mivera Audio (bavmike) and the own buffer, the Puribuffer:

Mivera Audio Forum

attachment.php

They also have 6 ultra low noise power supplies built in to power all the various sections of the Purifi modules to perfection. Everyone else uses the dirty power from the Hypex supply, and shares the power regulation between multiple sections Yuck!

Attachments

• Mivera-Purifi-board-mono.jpg
    Mivera-Purifi-board-mono.jpg
    935 KB · Views: 2,604
Last edited:
its amazing how some people given the knowledge thinks a capacitor brand dictates total outcome and is the be all end all of a product, i see no claim of synchronous rectification or quality and safety of the etd magnetics used, safety / ISO standards.. no. Nichicon caps will make all the problems go away. hahaha

If you are referring to my SMPS, I advice you not to engage with me into any discussion about my SMPS or about any component used into them.

They are manufactured to standards, passed all critical tests.

And they are in the same level of manufacturing standards used in HYPEX SMPS.

Also, I dont use synchronous rectification into any SMPS I make.

closed account
Joined 2007
If you are referring to my SMPS, I advice you not to engage with me into any discussion about my SMPS or about any component used into them.

They are manufactured to standards, passed all critical tests.

And they are in the same level of manufacturing standards used in HYPEX SMPS.

Also, I dont use synchronous rectification into any SMPS I make.

I do not think he referred to you. I think it was more a slanted reply to comments by maty and myself (maty criticising the use of Suscon camps on the hypex amps - myself asking whether this should be an issue in PSUs).

Roberto

closed account
Joined 2007
Very good question indeed, and here are some points:-

1- Using higher quality components, only highest quality .
2- All SMPS units I make can be repaired by the user.

Since you are addressing DIYers, this is an interesting option. This said, I would never put my hands into a SMPS, they tend to be densely packed and annoying to repair. But I understand this is an important added value.

3- Unmatched technical support.

Which you can do because your market is small. But, still, kudos!

4-My SMPS units offers things HYPEX dont offer, like STANDBY switch replacing mechanical switches, AC LOSS output, Isolated AUX12V output.
5- Usually they sound better than HYPEX, and this was proven by the DIY community not by me.

Sound. You claim they sound better and later that the hypex sound "dry". Do you have references to posts, in this and other forums, about comparisons? "Dry" sound makes absolutely no sense, both subjectively and objectively. Maybe in absence of coloration, which actually is a good thing then. But I do not see how a PSU could add color, in this case harmonics and distorsion to the actual amplifier.

Could you care to elaborate, pointing to either measurements to back this, or subjective evaluations by others? I am sincerely interested.

6- Cheaper than HYPEX

This is interesting, but I believe that at the end the difference would not be that great on a finished amplified. So, if I had proof your SMPSs are better, I would consider them also for a similar or even slightly higher price.

best, and good luck with your commercial endeavour

Roberto

brand loyalty?

me, i will choose caps rated at 105 deg C...

unless i see actual data comparing the caps as to ESR, ESL and capacity, i will use any that comes my may...

On that I relied on the selection of the great electrolytics for my DC Blockers. The last, the audiophile / boutique, expensive, but very good Mundorf M-Lytics MGO 47,000 uF after reading the positive comments of pinnocchio after use (33,000uF) in the DIY class A USSA-5 amplifier.

[Big IMG, link] http://maty.galeon.com/WP-imagenes/hum/Mundorf-MLGO-table.png

Last edited:
closed account
Joined 2007
That is why the best idea, if we already have a good sound, is to wait a while and see if more SMPS appear, especially that of PURIFI.

Bruno Putzeys commented that the 1ET400A price would not be exaggerated. And there are improvements in the quality components too. I guess it is what has the power to make decisions and not just be an employee.

Marketing a product is a very different thing. Bruno has a name, but this alone does not sell – at least it does not sell forever. So any new product from a new company, designed by him, has to offer more, and it makes sense to cater to as many potential customers as possible. Some will look at the measurements (for the 1ET400A: check! they measure better), some will look at subjective impressions by others (for the 1ET400A: check! some people claim the new modules sound better), others want additional proof of quality (for the 1ET400A: check! better caps on the board, whether these make a difference in the quality of the delivered sound on which I do not comment).

So, even if it did not make any difference, spending a few cents on the more expensive caps would persuade more customers, and therefore would be an investment that actually increases the likelihood of a good ROI – even if the additional costs were not reflected in the final price.

OTOH, Hypex is already a commercially established name, so they can stick to more normal caps.

So you do not have to discount the fact that the so-called "better" capacitors are not necessarily chosen because they have an impact on sound quality. For now, we do not know.

Roberto

closed account
Joined 2007
I am not going to discuss this any more.

But check the TSSA4 bulid for example.

Other commitments by the DIY is private and cannot be shared.

I also have no commercial interest in any way my friend.

Please take it easy. ;)

Hello. I am taking it easy, if you are referring to me. I am very curious (also, a potential customer). I did not mean to criticise you in any way. And I do admire what you are doing, you have chosen a difficult area to design...

Roberto

Roberto, I only TRUST in very few persons when they comment on the sound quality of the amplifiers. ALL recognized diyers that have built many amplifiers and loudspeakers.

If it were not for that, I would not have spent that money on those capacitors or, recently, on others to bypass the tweeter capacitor and change the cemented resistance. Step by step to verify the changes, with the same person by my side.

If I was not so cautious, I would not wait a few months before the possible purchase of the kit. I followed the development of the ODAC (NwAvGuy) from the beginning and it still took months to order the purchase. To experience and / or presume others first is my rule.