Pumpkin Preamp - Perfect for F4

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi all, I'm seeing something strange on my just completed Pumpy. I see DC at the input and funny behavior with clicks and pops as the volume is turned and the DC spikes to almost 2 volts. This, of course, is getting amplified about 10 times at the Pumpy output. I'm using a balanced Twisted Pair Joshua Tree stepped attenuator at the input as Zen Mod says to do. The JT does not have any DC on it when it is not connected to the Pumpy nor does the Pumpy have much DC at the input so I can't figure out where this DC is coming from. Brian at Twisted Pair suggests putting the stepped attenuator at the output against Zen Mod's advice.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I've installed the resistors and see a substantial drop in the DC but still have strange behavior while adjusting the attenuator. I've ordered some caps to try on the input. Can you help me understand what is happening. If there is no DC at the input without the attenuator why is the voltage generated when the attenuator is installed?

Thanks

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yes, set the offset as described to a very low level - millivolts - over a period of several hours. The Twisted Pair attenuator is a previous version but I believe they have similar specifications, this from their website;

"The kit's input impedance varies between 2.2K and 10K, with a fixed output impedance of 750R."

I know attenuator is working because I have 2 and they both behave normally in the other preamp I use.

I might try dropping the red value. I used the high 220k recommended.

Thanks for your help.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Newbie question. One of my sources is Pearl 2. 100k resistor at output to ground. In that case 100k, correct?

Also, would you place input selector ahead of attenuator and load each input to match source?

do not worry about trivia (Pearl's 100K -that's bleeder for output cap, nothing else )

what I was saying that value of attenuator is source(s) issue

same as with any other implementation - if you're having usual sources - use 25K attenuator

if you know that your sources are all having properly low output impedance (up to 200R) , feel free to use 10K attenuator

everything above 25K will tend to form LP filter with sissy interconnects ..... while everything under 10K will make sissy sources ....... suffer

Shunty

Attached are my voltages for my Shunty. Consistent on both rails on both boards. Output voltage stays constant at 41.3 while varying WR1. The voltage does vary going into the Darlington while varying WR1. Any ideas what the issue may be?

Attachments

• DSC_1196.jpg
    DSC_1196.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 264