Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux

Yes. I also installed on the intel machine and made the exact same changes, sample rate and bit rate did change. What I do seems correct. It's a RPI/Raspbian thing, it seems. I tried something else, I added the lines instead of uncomment them. After rebooting, the new addition was gone. It's like it doesn't actually save the changes at all.

Actually that was a suspicion of mine too. I have a RPi here that acts as a backup server for a friend - the sd card does all kinds of funny things, especially at power loss it would not boot up sometimes etc. Fortunately the backup data is stored on a usb ssd. You might want to switch to a usb boot device and ditch these horribly unreliable sd cards.

Another thing: If the changes are in the file BEFORE reboot (you didn't confirm yet) you can restart pulseaudio daemon with "pulseaudio -k" from the command line. Actually this kills the daemon but it will be restarted automatically, if autospawn is yes in the client.conf - it usually is in dekstop environments. Then restart PaXoverRack and it should show the new sample rate/depth.

I have read that at power loss the RPi does not cut power from the SD card, but runs it with fading voltage (brownout) which SD specifications specifically forbid - SD cards get corrupted by that.

I like this (not tested the USB adapter but I have good experience with chinese small-capacity SSD drives from ebay for embedded computers):

B Key M.2 NGFF SSD to USB 3.0 USB2.0 Converter Adapter Card C#P5 783761672326 | eBay

+

SNS4151S3 16GB SATA Module Internal SSD Half Slim Solid State Hard Disk for PC | eBay

Yeah, they are much slower than regular SSDs (some 50MB/s?), but faster than standard USB flash drives and incomparably fasters than SD cards. Being solid-state they have much better access times than mechanical HDDs. Plus they have standard SMART for basic monitoring.

I use them in older embedded thin clients (mSATA, small SATA models). The linked one is M.2 (for the cheap M.2 - USB adapter) but it's just a different connector, the internals will be same as the other models, IMO. Regular SSDs do not come in these small capacities anymore, costing several times more.

Industrial SD cards are extremely overpriced, this combo costs like a regular decent SD card (prone to failure in RPi), IMO with much better reliability and performance.

This is also a neat device for the fact that it's usb c! Thanks for all your recommendations phofman and DarpMalone! I was asking because I'm searching for a replacement for my very old and rather slow usb stick which holds my emergency boot installation of linux mint.