pre standard two preamp, and development of measurement methods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Anatoliy,

I use this method to observe linearity of an output stage (forced I vs. V). The image is at 10kHz.

Attachments

• sym_10k.jpg
    sym_10k.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 278
Hi Pavel;

here is one more idea: to eliminate batteries from a guitar pedal I powered it from pair of current sources; actually there was one current source and couple of current mirrors from plus and minus rails. The pedal contained a bi-polar shunt regulator only, and was connected by one shielded wire and one naked pair for both plus and minus. Output dynamic resistance between ground and both powering wires was huge.
This trick may be used to power your MC preamp as well, with no ground connection of the power supply at all.

Thank you :). I wish I had such a stock of 2SK389/2SJ109 :D

Regarding spectrum, it is at the limit of my measurement possibilities. Now I am showing CCIF IMD of the preamp.

Unfortunately, I have not found any correlation between THD, IMD, square wave responses and resulting sound. I have a bipolar preamp and JFET-MOSFET preamp that measure quite same in all known parameters and measurements, but they still sound very different ... :cool:

Attachments

• ccif3.PNG
    ccif3.PNG
    34.8 KB · Views: 76
I have recently tested the bipolar preamplifier vs. the FET preamplifier both in a same conventional, 1U 440mm case. The sonic difference is easily audible.

Regarding the milled Al case - compared to the conventional case, it makes some difference. I would say like a difference between link level cables. That means, the difference in sound of bipolar vs. fet preamplifier is higher than the contribution of the milled Al case.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.