Power JFETs in production

... Plus the Semisouth SJDP120R085, widely regarded as a SIT in this forum, is termed "Trench Silicon Carbide Power JFET" in the datasheet, ...
Both SJDP120R085 and UJ3N06580 are regular SIC JFETs characterized by high output impedance while SITs have low output impedance on common source. Each needs a distinctly different optimization strategy to work its best. NP shows preference of using SITs without loop feedback. :)

Curve traces for uj3n65080 from manufacturer's spice model. Vg is stepped from -10V to -8.4V in 200mV increments.
It doesn't look all that triode-like to me :(

Attachments

• UJ3N.png
    UJ3N.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,011
Last edited:
JFET is like a Pentode, the 'plate curves' are convex and show typical transistor like behaviour, whereas the SIT is like a triode, the 'plate curves' are concave. The JFET has v. high input impedance but many SITs have gate leakage and they are hard to make - sensitive to manufacturing process variations just like high gm triodes.

You can 'triode wire' the JFETs to reduce output impedance (drain to gate feedback).

Last edited:
Also not very physically real, looks like level 1 model with no Vds modulation of drain current at all. Doesn't even remotely match the DS which shows almost pure triode behavior below 5V Vds.

Indeed, replicating the datasheet Fig. 2 conditions, with Vgs stepped from 2V to -8V yields dissimilar curves. Maybe I am doing something wrong as the manufacturer's spice model seems quite detailed.

At least, for once reality seems better than simulation :eek:, and this raises my hopes again!

Attachments

• UJ3N2.png
    UJ3N2.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 951
Last edited:
Another problem with the DS is that it shows curves going to 40A and 10V = 400W like it was no problem.

I don't think this a problem as the datasheet does not claim that this is continuously dissipated power. I would think that 40A and higher are within the pulsed capabilities of the device. SOA is also stated.

I see nothing wrong with the datasheet.

Just come across this thread. I seem to remember some earlier smaller power jfets being tried by NP and others. I think the number was LU1040D or something like that. The main idea was to run them in the resistive region where they were very linear.

Scott.s earlier comment could mean that these new ones could be run in a similar way ie low Vds ?. As with the earlier devices that would mean cascode operation.

Is this feasible ?

Last edited: