Power JFETs in production

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
yeah ..... but we are always looking what's transfer characteristic like in 20-30Vdc and ~2Adc region...

Yes; actually the 0.1A-2.5A zone for class B to class A, with peaks to 5A or 10A.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/827/UNITED_SILICON-10-03-2018-UJ3N065080K3S-1487513.pdf

Vto (for 20mA!) is -6V to -14V! Whereas in a MOSFET amp we must drive the upper gate ~~5V above the upper supply rail, for these depletion devices we must drive the upper gate a dozen volts *below* the lower supply rail. We may sometimes overlook the 5V offset of a MOSFET; this dozen-Volt offset kinda demands boosted rails for the driver.

The large negative bias for linear zone "does remind us" of vacuum tubes. But the likely signal swing is very much less than a tube. The transconductance looks like 3S to 5S, a tube would be like 0.005S.

We always like to run power amps as "Cathode Followers" if we can swing the drive. 3S of gM is like 0.3 Ohms which promises good gain and linearity into 8 Ohm loads. But the over-the-rails gate swing is awkward.

The gate capacitance does not look that brutal to me. Many MOSFETs are similar. Many BJTs effectively have large base capacitance due to hFE fall-off above the audio band. There is a fundamental limit here and I think many recent devices approach that limit, in their several ways.

Attachments

• SiC-JFET.gif
    SiC-JFET.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,108
The transconductance looks like 3S to 5S, a tube would be like 0.005S.

that is why the NPass Camp Amp continuous to amaze....in our local builds, sound was at par with the 300b.....in a comparison listening test, the audience asked to change amp to the 300b, but the operator merely changed the program source, the audience did not realise it, but knew it when the operator told them.....

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Just received four of these from Mouser. I am thinking of going for a ciclotron. As has been mentioned, an extra, or possibly two supplies are indeed required for the bias, and these must ramp up before the bridge voltages.

Using the manufacturers' spice model, open-loop damping factor calculates around 10 for the 2x24V rails ciclotron, biased at 2.5A or therabouts. I wonder if this will be any good driving conventional two-way medium to lowish sensitivity speakers, such as my proacs, limited to moderate levels of course.

Another proposition would be the quasi-complementary.

Last edited:
Spice simulated SIT vs MOSFET: 0-1

Details:
Devices: UJ3N065080K3S vs IRFP240
Spice models: SIT: UnitedSIC provided / MOSFET: LTSpice standard
Iq: 2.5A both
Topology: Common-drain ciclotron
Load: 8 Ohms resistive
Rails: 24V x2
Po = 5.5W & 20W (two tests)

Results:
The mosfet circuit wins due to lower harmonic power, by 5dB to 15dB depending on harmonic, all the way from the 2nd to the 19th.

Only in the lower power test does the SIT win only at the higher harmonics. In the higher power test, MOS is better throughout.

But, let us not despair as HD is not easy to model in spice. I guess it is measurement time.

The UJ3N065080K3S is a SIC JFET, not a SIT.

Maybe not the same device category name, but according to wikipedia "The SIT is a type of JFET with a short channel length."

Plus the Semisouth SJDP120R085, widely regarded as a SIT in this forum, is termed "Trench Silicon Carbide Power JFET" in the datasheet, plus its transfer characteristics are wickedly close to those of the UnitedSIC's device.

Those here who have delved into such devices can perhaps comment on similarities and differences. Me, I am happy with the UJ3N06580 transfer characteristics:) :)

Last edited:
I also did not achieve anything spectacular with C3M0065090D compared to IRFP240, but it was in a Zen amp. It has very low input capacitance though!

Now that is interesting. Was that in simulation or real life? Were comparative measurements performed? Listening tests?

Looking at the datasheet one could swear that the Cree device is an enhancement power jfet, rather than a mosfet, as the saturation region is pushed quite far away.

Last edited:
I did a listening test with some 24V+ regulated supply and 3A bias.
Also dist measurement at like 1W 7ohm 1kHz (my load is 21/3ohms) did not show consistent differences to IRFP240.
It was around the same.

Would love to do more tests with a different setup though.

Now that is interesting. Was that in simulation or real life? Were comparative measurements performed? Listening tests?

Looking at the datasheet one could swear that the Cree device is an enhancement power jfet, rather than a mosfet, as the saturation region is pushed quite far away.