Power Conditioners and Cords

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nailed it.
Not according to the people who did the research. What they produced were just some rough numbers because its better to have some numbers rather than no numbers. They asked questions that could be dealt with simply. Some over assumed strong LTI behavior of the ear/brain system.

Non-experts, particularly EEs have misinterpreted the research, badly in some cases. Some EEs think a threshold of audibility is an absolute hard limit for all humans on earth!

How high can you hear in a blind hearing test?

I get to about 12K, 14K is marginal and I get maybe 50% hit rate there. 16K nope. I tested this in the office for a while. I used a mobile phone and a signal generator. I'd move into a bay of desks and hit play at 16K and wait. Within a few seconds the 19 and 20 year olds are looking around them and start asking, "What's that noise? You hear that?". The 30 somethings c0ck their head, and start rotating it like a dog hunting the signal. The 40 somethings are literally like, "What are you talking about?". Then I own up. Go test another desk at 18K, although I can't tell if the phone outputs at 18K so I had to ask a young'en and they couldn't even hear it.
Note. C0ck is not a dirty word for god sake. Only your god damn mind is!

So if you can hear the difference between two power cords, maybe just wait a few years and it will fix itself and you can use cheaper cables.

All this architectural talk about Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Frank Lloyd Wright is starting to give me flashbacks to my art classes at school.
Just waiting for the Le Corbusier, Walter Gropius and Bruno Taut parts... ;)
Any list like this needs to also include Louis Sullivan. The mentor of Frank Lloyd Wright and the founder of the Chicago School of architecture.

Any list like this needs to also include Louis Sullivan. The mentor of Frank Lloyd Wright and the founder of the Chicago School of architecture.
Well given that I went to school in Berlin where we had buildings by all I mentioned except Frank Lloyd Wright as well as the Bauhaus Archives I think it is understandable that we focused on what was close by and visible every day.

Sorry for the tangent... off of psycho-acoustics

Have y'all seen those videos of people going inside the "silent room"?

It's like a big room, lights optional and it's supposedly one of the quietest places on earth.

The interesting thing is, it's meant to be torturous after not too long a period.

How about XY YX this -- a pair of AudioQuest Dragon High Current Cables (about $5,400 per meter) -- one of one meter length, the other of three meter length. Is the sound different. Or XY YX this -- one of the aforementioned compared with an AudioQuest "Thunder" ($849.95 per meter). Surely there must be a difference one could recognize.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Getting back to power cords, its not about how expensive they are. Most are not very good anyway.
copper thickness, minimal loop area, good twist and well gripping connectors matter. I've not seen anything credible to suggest anything else is needed (ok I have a fondness for artic grade power cable for the nice flexibilty). Now we don't suffer from problems with plug grip in the UK but I've seen how loose and floppy US connectors can be, so putting hospital grade outlets in and matching plugs is sensible but that is it.
Fact is some power cords affect some audio devices, particularly those produced before filtered IEC modules were the standard. Rob Watts reported fixing one such preamp by adding a power inlet filter. He found signal correlated noise which we know can be an intermodulation product of RF and audio when rectification takes place in an input stage. There should be no mystery about how that can happen. As usual, it has been discussed before, ignored, and then forgotten.
I don't think many people would argue against a Shaffner filter on the input to a circuit. For $10 you get peace of mind. BUT as Pano noted the filters can keep the noise IN, so the sensible approach is to find the sources of noise and filter those (like your microwave). Thought of the day... Active rectifiers are being used by a few people on here now. In theory those get away from a major noise source without all the hassle of calculating snubbers. Seems something more sensible to consider and try than magic cables.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The interesting thing is, it's meant to be torturous after not too long a period.
You mean an anechoic chamber? Yeah been in those, but only RF ones which are pretty good at AF as well. The oddity is that, with no other noise sources you can hear the blood flow in your ears and every little peristaltic gurgle your body makes, which is normally masked by ambient noise. If you have tinnitus that can sound like a jack hammer. So yes it gets weird.

Reactions: 1 users
How about XY YX this -- a pair of AudioQuest Dragon High Current Cables (about $5,400 per meter) -- one of one meter length, the other of three meter length. Is the sound different. Or XY YX this -- one of the aforementioned compared with an AudioQuest "Thunder" ($849.95 per meter). Surely there must be a difference one could recognize.
Jack, getting the noise out of the equipment it is connected to is paramount. I have heard both of these cables several times and the Dragon sounds much better than the Thunder. The Dragon has one conductor that is pure silver and we know how good silver is at high frequencies. I do not have all the answers, but I know what I and others hear. I wish you could hear these cables for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.