Post your Solid State pics here

Hi!

Although I have been reading in this website for years, I finally joined and this is my first post. Attached are pictures of my totally DIY preamplifier (BEG PA-2), circa 2006, which is still in use.

Bruce Gillingham

20060324_PA2_001.jpg
20060324_PA2_005.jpg
20060324_PA2_010.jpg
20060324_PA2_014.jpg

Reactions: 32 users
Thanks for the very nice comments and "likes"! I started playing with audio and tube amplifiers while in high school and got serious with solid state in the late 70's. I have been designing, building, and using my own preamps and amps ever since. I am now a retired electrical engineer with more time, but, perhaps, poorer vision and hand dexterity :). Retirement and the pandemic afforded me the time to complete my first monoblock power amp pair, now installed in my system!

Reactions: 1 users
Please show us photos of that monoblock badboy! :)
The monoblocks are not as photogenic as the preamp and I have not yet taken the time to set up a background and strobes (photography is another hobby), but here are a couple of cell phone snaps:

The pair of MB1s mounted to the custom oak stands that I made (yet another hobby :)):

20220328_MB1_001.jpg

MB1 with the top cover removed:

20211003_MB1_001.jpg

Reactions: 22 users
Wow, another masterpiece. What is power and topology? You should start some threads on these amps.
You are too kind, xrk971! I rate the power as 150 W into 8 ohms, 300 W into 4 ohms, and 400 W into 2 ohms with distortion less than 0.006% over the full 20 Hz to 20 kHz band. The overall architecture is that of an instrumentation amplifier. The topology of the main difference amplifier is very similar to that of a Bob Cordell design but all bipolar. I think my main contribution to the amp's uniqueness is its precision bias control system. I plan to start threads on the "bias controller" and the full amplifier after I get out of newbie probation :). The writeup on the former is ready to post; the writeup on the latter is in progress.

Reactions: 1 user
Sweet, love it! You don't have any issues using just the case for main heatsink?
Amp working in class B and not hot :)
How about having the xformer so close?
No need this
Transformer not have noise and have wire ground inside
Is it shielded?
Anyway, nice compact build, congrats!
Thanks

Next step replacement Chinese green boards on the DIY NAP boards. This process is not ending :))
Photo in attachment

Attachments

• 1B15A273-4620-4642-954F-35801D3C9967.jpeg
    1B15A273-4620-4642-954F-35801D3C9967.jpeg
    444.6 KB · Views: 225
Reactions: 1 user
The monoblocks are not as photogenic as the preamp and I have not yet taken the time to set up a background and strobes (photography is another hobby), but here are a couple of cell phone snaps:

The pair of MB1s mounted to the custom oak stands that I made (yet another hobby :)):

View attachment 1069701

MB1 with the top cover removed:

View attachment 1069702
Simply incredible. Its actually better than a lot of commercial products out there.

I love how economically youve achieved a shielding effect for the trafo