Post your Solid State pics here

I ordered the M400 lanchile,

excellent! you will love the sound and quality of these kits, just be careful when you start building them,take your time and always measure parts before and after soldering on the boards also pay attention to diodes D3 and D4 but you will get the full instructions by mail (Alfred). if you need any help just PM me. I have build many of these amps kits and I have all the info about them.

You got me hooked too. Beyond this months budget but will get one in August. I've been looking for an SS amp to compare to the new LM3886 based FE design and the M-400 sounds like a good choice.

I build some gainclones long time ago too,they sounded ok, but if you really want to hit the ball out of the park...Build an M400 and then tell me if it is just another class a/b amp.;)

You got me hooked too. Beyond this months budget but will get one in August. I've been looking for an SS amp to compare to the new LM3886 based FE design and the M-400 sounds like a good choice.
Bob - You might also consider a Class D amp - for something different. I'm getting ready to start another project too and am seriously considering this one from Class D. It's only $50 more than the H/D Amp M-400. It has substantially more power output too. There's also a lively discussion that's been going on over at AudioCircle here if you're interested. Just thot I'd share that. - redjr

After so much written, perhaps i should post some new pics... :rolleyes:

The pics show my Naim NAP-140 clone from hifidiy.net (finished these days)
As you can see on the pics, i combined a remote pre amp (CS3310) with a double mono construction.
I did some tunings like better caps (Nichicon Muse), matched transistors and resistors etc.
Both amp boards have their own transformers and power supply (2x 250VA).

Sounds really great and drives my LS3/5a in a fantastic easiness.
The music dissolves completly from the speakers to a wide stage.
Instruments sounding very realistic with a corporeal presence in room.
The resoultion is high and detailed... just a realistic, straight representation without frills.
I wouldn't expect that this cheap replica sounds so great... i'm glad that I have built it.

Attachments

• PICT0003 (2).jpg
    PICT0003 (2).jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 1,640
  • PICT0006 (2).jpg
    PICT0006 (2).jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 1,581
  • PICT0007 (2).jpg
    PICT0007 (2).jpg
    613 KB · Views: 1,513
  • PICT0005 (3).jpg
    PICT0005 (3).jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 1,391
  • PICT0001 (2).jpg
    PICT0001 (2).jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 1,359
My second built Goldmund Mimesis 9.2 clone audio amplifier ......:) The case home built , was made from scrach .The sound is fantastic ......:D

Attachments

• IMG_5182.jpg
    IMG_5182.jpg
    944.4 KB · Views: 1,968
  • IMG_5181.jpg
    IMG_5181.jpg
    981 KB · Views: 2,144
  • IMG_5184.jpg
    IMG_5184.jpg
    981.5 KB · Views: 1,643
  • IMG_5183.jpg
    IMG_5183.jpg
    984.6 KB · Views: 1,497
  • IMG_5185.jpg
    IMG_5185.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 1,315
  • IMG_5188.jpg
    IMG_5188.jpg
    707.9 KB · Views: 603
An inexpensive phono section

I am not a big fan of solid state phono pre-amps but when my beloved Daniel I (designed by Joe Curcio) ceased to function properly, I was looking for a quick and simple replacement. I found on ebay a phono board that looked suspiciously like the Hagerman ‘Bugle’ using 3 OPA2134 IC op-amps. The same vendor also sold a “low noise” voltage regulator which I also bought. I used an Antek 50 VA (AN-0518) torroidal transformer. Inexpensive and simple.

How does it sound? It does not have the silkiness of the Daniel but I would characterize it as competent. It may be me, but I find solid state phono sections sound more alike than different. I compared it directly to a Linn LK-1 that I have as a back up preamp through a common linestage preamp but to me the sound of each was indistinguishable. The Linn LK-1 while a fine sounding preamp has the worst ergonomics and I use it sparingly for that reason. So in a back handed way, this phono section sounds OK. It seems to be dead quiet, with volume up and ear next to speaker, I don’t hear anything.

The other caveat is that I am using a budget cartridge, the Shure M97e, and some of the higher end cartridges out would probably reveal shortcomings in this phono section that the Shure cannot. Bottom line for me, is this phono section will get me through the night until my beloved Daniel is repaired.

Attachments

• BugleClone1.jpg
    BugleClone1.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 778
  • BugleCloneBack.jpg
    BugleCloneBack.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 682
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
How does it sound? It does not have the silkiness of the Daniel but I would characterize it as competent. It may be me, but I find solid state phono sections sound more alike than different.

I can't help but feel this preamp might respond to different opamps...

something like the OPA2604 with usual provisos of checking for stability etc but I can't really forsee a problem. Maybe even use a combination of different opamps.

The OPA2314 and 2604 are opposite ends of the spectrum sonically. You just might find something to like. Maybe :) No guarantees but worth a try.