Post your Solid State pics here

Some EBay Amps from BGR Malaysia

This all started with me building an amp from a circuit board featured on ebay called the 'Mofet 400' by a company called BGR. The performance claims for this amp were nonsensical but the price was around $25. Coupled with a Hammond 182F30 transformer, a surprisingly competent amplifier was built. I would guesstimate the power at 70 wpc. It currently drives my rear speakers in my 5.1 system. It replaced some God awful sounding amps that I bought from J&R that were supposed to be 150 wpc in bridged mode. Grainy as hell. The 'Mofet 400' was a welcome replacement.

BGR make some other modules and the Blazer 300 caught my attention. A package deal with a soft start module and speaker relay protection for around $100 looked like a deal. The specification sheet stated the transformer should supply up to 70 volts DC and 7 to 10 amps. The diagram on the same sheet recommended 42 volts AC (about 58 volts DC). The fuses on the circuit board were rated at 4 amps. So I settled on two 167N80 Hammond transformers rated at 40-0-40 volts at 4 amps. The modules have the output Sanken transistors already attached to a heat spreader bar which then needs to be attached to your heat sink. This makes construction extremely easy. The down side is the 167N80 transformers are very big and very heavy. You don't want to move this amp! I chanced upon a 'C/M Laboratories' amplifier that had 1 channel of electronics missing but the front panel with meters was intact. I tested the meters with 'JLM Audio' circuit and found them to be still functional, so the front panel was repainted and installed on the case.

I tried to incorporate a pre-amp stage at the input. All I got was hum, so this was abandoned. The heat sink cover about 80 percent of the back leaving a 1 inch strip where speaker terminals, rca jacks and AC receptacle are located. A 85 C thermal cutoff switch was incoporated on the backwall. The heat sinks run cool, the transformers run fairly warm which surprised me.

This amp is extremely powerful. I have a Carver 500x (rated at 250 wpc) driving my front left and right subwoofers (Madisound 1259)and a 'L20' (also on this forum which replaced a Yamaha M-70) driving front right and left Dynaudio Geminis (Madisound kits). The Carver 500x was always attenuated so there was not too much bass. With the Blazer, the Carver is not attenuated but the Blazer is, driving the inefficient Gemini Dynaudios. The L20 has been relegated to driving the center channel and system subwoofer replacing a Carver TFM-15cb (100 wpc). My 'Mofet 400' still drives the rear speakers. The sound is glorious.

Bottom line: If you are looking for an extremely powerful and decent sounding amplifier that is easy to build (and relatively cheap ~$400) the 'Blazer 300' with two Hammond 167N80 is in my humble opinion a superb choice. As usual my craftmanship sucks and I know everybody hates my use of wire nuts but they work for me!

Attachments

• Blazer1.jpg
    Blazer1.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,828
  • Blazer2.jpg
    Blazer2.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 1,747
Curbside Kenwood

Fix it (schema attached) , it's a "pretty" receiver. Recap the power board , regrease the outputs (or replace with mj15003/4). If you were to make a new amp for it , design the PCB to be a exact replacement (no drilling). looks like the kenwood has a good, simple LIN topology EF2 AB amp with TO-3 outputs ... 55-0-55V PS ... typical.

OS

Ostripper:

It's been a long, strange trip with this old Super Eleven.
It's been to three different techs since I found it. First tech got it running (for a few days), told me it might not be reliable as the receiver was abused with a capital A. Bad left channel after those few days.
The second tech kinda sorta fixed the bad channel. It went bad again in less than two weeks.:cuss:
The third tech said "recap this", and has done that. He switched out some, but not all, of the old ones. He also wants to replace a bad output transistor. No more NEC 2SD555 or 2DB600s out here that I can really trust (i.e., are not possibly fakes), so I ordered some On-Semi 21193 and 21194 replacements, as the guy says replace all 4 outputs.

We'll see how this works out. I know this is the LAST repair I am paying for on this thing. For the $$$ I have put out since March, I could have bought what I really want, a Luxman M-120, and had it recapped.:grumpy:

Ostripper:

It's been to three different techs since I found it. First tech got it running (for a few days), told me it might not be reliable as the receiver was abused with a capital A. Bad left channel after those few days.
The second tech kinda sorta fixed the bad channel. It went bad again in less than two weeks.:cuss:
The third tech said "recap this", and has done that. He switched out some, but not all, of the old ones. He also wants to replace a bad output transistor. No more NEC 2SD555 or 2DB600s out here that I can really trust (i.e., are not possibly fakes), so I ordered some On-Semi 21193 and 21194 replacements, as the guy says replace all 4 outputs.

We'll see how this works out. I know this is the LAST repair I am paying for on this thing. For the $$$ I have put out since March, I could have bought what I really want, a Luxman M-120, and had it recapped.:grumpy:

Ahhh , a Lux M120 fan ... :) I am about to retro that fine amp with Cordell's triple (below). One of the finest sounding voltage stages (opinion) and strangely constructed amp's out there. :eek:

OS

Attachments

• luxman.gif
    luxman.gif
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,745
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Ostripper:

There is a member here that has stock of original NEC transistors. As a result of health problems and being unable to build amps I believe he is selling his parts. He is also US based, which would make shipping easier.

Hi all just wanted to add my own pic.....pre wiring picture of all the components. Now the Amp works fine.

2x L20 chinese amplifiers (run of the mill ss amplifier)
2x500w toroidals
softsart
speaker protection circuit
NE5532 cheap preamplifier
15/9v separate toroidal transformer (not in picture)
150,000uf per channel worth of capacitors.

Voltage fed into the amp +/-45v loaded.

Nice sound...keeps on improving with time. Slight buzz which I am trying to correct.

:)

P.s. I am now building a 6 channel version with input selector, LCD preamp, 5.1 controls, remote and all the usual modules (DC protect, softstart...ecc )

Attachments

• 2011-09-21121244.jpg
    2011-09-21121244.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,358
  • 2011-09-21150554.jpg
    2011-09-21150554.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,305