Post your Solid State pics here

Hello Martin.

I don't exactly know who produces those yellow caps. I have been told by the retailer that these are MKP polypropylene caps and are excellent for use in audio path. I did ask him about the manufacturer many months ago but it seems he doesn't know it either. Now as you have reminded me of this, I think I will go ask experts in other hot forums and expect I will get the name.

thanks.
shaan

Last edited:
Hello shaan, thanks for your efforts!
Mine are from the signal output of a Moodlab Concept DAC. I changed them for BG N's, but recently I compared them to other MKP's and I found them to have a quite unique sound signature, which could be just the right thing for certain applications. But to use these caps would only make sense if they would be available to anybody in different values for different projects.
Regards!
Martin

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Velleman amp

Hi All

please see my velleman amp that I have just made. The front is laser engraved and the tigers eyes light up when the power is on. Sounds good to my ears. what do you think?

Attachments

• DSC00469.JPG
    DSC00469.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 2,185
  • DSC00470.JPG
    DSC00470.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 2,131
  • DSC00471.JPG
    DSC00471.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 2,028
  • DSC00472.JPG
    DSC00472.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 1,949
  • DSC00473.JPG
    DSC00473.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 1,821
  • DSC00474.JPG
    DSC00474.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 577
Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
k4005

Hello

not at all, sounds very good with no hum. The only issue is that the amplifier can shut down when pushed to hard. I can adjust the current monitor resistors in the feedback system, to solve this. but otherwise I was very surprised with the quality of the sound.

regards

Nick

Hi Fotios, beautiful work :)

The problem with Modu it is that although it offers enclosures with very impresive front panels (10mm thick! alu) and very nice handles, the rest pieces of enclosure are: top and bottom covers from metal plate and the back plate from alu 1,5mm thick. In mine amplifier the covers are from 3mm thick alu plates which are screwed very tightly and directly on heatsinks (see in pictures) and offers significant assistance in heatsinks in heat disipation.

You can ask for alu panels (not sure the thickness), at (high) extra cost.

Hello shaan, thanks for your efforts!
Mine are from the signal output of a Moodlab Concept DAC. I changed them for BG N's, but recently I compared them to other MKP's and I found them to have a quite unique sound signature, which could be just the right thing for certain applications. But to use these caps would only make sense if they would be available to anybody in different values for different projects.
Regards!
Martin

These caps are from Shenzhen(china). Available from 0.003uF upto 1uF. Two tolerance varieties; J and K.
J = 5%
K= 10%

cheers.

My Retro amp project back to the 70's

Hello,

I recently finnished my retro style amp.
It is an current feedback amp on a single voltage rail of ~ 52v.
All driver and pre transistors are BC141-16 BC161-16.
Power transistors are ST MJ2955
The heatsink is from an old Philips X-ray power supply from 1966, originaly it had 4 germanium power devices on it.
The transformer is from an old philips reciever and i painted it black and re- applied the top wiring.
It puts out ~ 52v at 2.5 amps and this is regulated and then buffered by a 10,000 Uf capacitor.
The same capacitors are also used as output decoupling.
This amp is obviously not build for perfect sound reproduction but mere for the sake of old times though it sound very nice for what it is and put out alot of power.

I will post some pics of the build feel free to give your opinion

Attachments

• Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,605
  • Back.JPG
    Back.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,394
  • Circuit.JPG
    Circuit.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 476
  • Inside3.JPG
    Inside3.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 845
  • Inside2.JPG
    Inside2.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 984
  • Inside1.JPG
    Inside1.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 750
  • Inside4.JPG
    Inside4.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 555
  • Painting.jpg
    Painting.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 611
  • Heatsink.JPG
    Heatsink.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 581
Another one of my Retro projects

This is a 2x5 watt Amp based on germanium devices.
I have build this little amp 1 year before the amp in the post above thats why it resembles it in some kind (the copper revets for example).
It has a kind of warm round sound to it, though 5 watts is enough for easy listening, it lacks power when it comes to having a party or whatever.
So thats why i have build the amp in the post above.
That one delivers 30 watts per channel.
It only uses a BC154P gold pin low noise silicium transistor as preamplifier.

The rest is based on AD161 and AD141

Please comment on this little computer amplifier

Attachments

• DSCF3018.JPG
    DSCF3018.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 441
  • DSCF3021.JPG
    DSCF3021.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCF3026.JPG
    DSCF3026.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 555
  • DSCF3029.JPG
    DSCF3029.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 556
  • DSCF3027.JPG
    DSCF3027.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 715
Circuits

I will draw the cuircuit for these amplifiers give me some time and i will post the circuits fot both amplifiers.

I am currently working on an RIAA Phono extension for the power amplifier in the first post.
This Phono preamp will be based on an 45 year old RIAA Cuircuit from an Japanese REC Amplifier.
The original cuircuit was based on some old 2SAxxx and 2SCxxx transistors but i am modifying the cuitcuit to work with the nostalgic bc149c Gold pin low noise transisitors from National Semiconductor

Keep you posted