Post your Solid State pics here

Maybe...

I think that linearity for + and - rail separated is better.

And today i have made some changes.

Look picture below...

Works really well :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210707_162239__01.jpg
    IMG_20210707_162239__01.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 1,703
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Samppaz,
Nope. It might have been less noisy (wide band) with only one 12V regulator - not that you have much gain. It just "looks" better to you, that's all.

You can easily try another supply to prove this. Use either a 78L12, or a low noise regulator. No need for the heavy load you put on it either.

-Chris

Here's something I originally built around 20 years ago, but renovated/finished off during lockdown.
Dual mono, Class A, 8W/channel into 8 Ohms (Could be biased for more, but that's plenty for the 97dB@1W "Dallas II" horn speakers I built).
View attachment 940461
Just seen ...

Finally an amplifier housing design not in the usual rectangular brick shape.

I like it.
:D

Class A SE

Some measurements.

Have to say, that with my mono amplifier hooked up to big speakers left and right around tv, measurements wont tell nothing for what i have been experienced sound quality and loudness.

One speaker is 4ohm and 90db/w and inside is two 8" bass elements, one 6.5" mid element and one tweeter.

test have been made with 4Ohm resistor and cheap usb scope for pc.

Attachments

• 10Khz.jpg
    10Khz.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 207
  • 100Hz-2.jpg
    100Hz-2.jpg
    712.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 100Hz.jpg
    100Hz.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 238
  • 1Khz-2.jpg
    1Khz-2.jpg
    713.2 KB · Views: 261
  • 1Khz.jpg
    1Khz.jpg
    545.8 KB · Views: 1,038
Blowtorch preamp experience

Holy s..t, is that coming out of my Sonus Faber bookshelves... the bass is really nice, it goes much furter then my PS-audio preamp. It looks like these are big floorstander speakers. Understand me well, it is not as if there is a big sub playing which add's to much bass, all is still nice in balance, hights, mid's, vocals, bass.

Wonder how the sound will change after powered on for several weeks. Many don't believe in burning-in, I experienced a rather big improvement wiht my amp's once powered on for about 200.300hours.

I've done a fast and easy mock-up on a piece of wood in combination with a 10k Pot.

Attachments

• IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    588.2 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    914.4 KB · Views: 652
Some measurements.

test have been made with 4Ohm resistor and cheap usb scope for pc.

OMG that's utterly horrendous - although the 100Hz waveform is the only one that's not obviously crippled, there's no FFT for it (nor are the axes labelled in the FFTs anyway). At a guess I'd estimate THD at 100Hz as ~1%, at 1kHz 10%, at 10kHz 40%

First observation you are trying to drive a FET gate directly from the soundcard - at higher frequencies a FET gate is going to look quite low impedance due to the large capacitance between gate and source and the Miller capacitance between gate and drain. Also this capacitance varies significantly with the drain current, which may account for the hyper-severe distortion at 1kHz and above, as this non-linear capacitance forms a divider with the output impedance of the sound card.

Here is demonstration for fully warmed up amp working.

Phone mic was not the best, but it is not the worst possible quality.

Well the bass isn't so bad.

Try something that will show up distortion better than solo electric guitar - vocals perhaps. I reckon cymbal crashes are going to be particularly nasty with that top end nastiness.

Can you switch back and forth with a known good amp?

Class A SE Sound Demo2

Here some more demo sound.

I think that full volume for YouTube and computer is overdriving my amplifier.

MP4 with only sound is full volume.

MP4 video is 2/3 full volume and rest for video is volume redused.

And i have mono sound output setting on for Windows so maybe it some times dont like add left and right channels together proberly.

Tidal with roon and there is ASIO and headroom -6 and summed left and right together -3db and Works great.

And now i have only one amplifier, so switch between two is not possible.

Attachments

• ClassA1.mp4
    2.4 MB
  • ClassA2.mp4
    6.8 MB
Here are inside Class A SE

95% Power wiring has made 2.5mm2 fine silicone covered wire.
5% has made 2.5mm2 regular wire.

Audio inputs for Back are parallel connected, and are RCA, 3.5mm and 6.5mm.

There it will trawel forward for shealded microfone cable to driver board where is Gate bias voltage and audio injection for it happens.

For driver board it continues shielded cable to mosfet and center is connected directly with solder Gate pin and ground shiel to negative for main Power side.

Front panel has switch to change between headphone output on front 6.5mm or banana plug output for rear to speakers.

Attachments

• Class_A_SE.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 246