Post your Solid State pics here

It's worse than you thought - I have seen two commercial amplifiers where it was claimed that having large 'eddy current' conductors near the signal path was detrimental. The power amp had thick insulators like shown above, the other was a pre-amp and the casework was all perspex with no metal.

huh? no wonder then that some folks actually like my small tube preamp....

Attachments

• IMG_3592.jpg
    IMG_3592.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,374
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've just finished assembling a second complete nx-Amp - these are the boards I bought from Jim's Audio on ebay.

The front end diamond buffer resistors on this build, on my original nx-amp build and on my sx-amp have all been increased to 150 Ohms/110 Ohms as detailed in the errata sheet under the nx-Amp build document on my website (NB 120 Ohms instead of 110 Ohms works just as well BTW).

On both nx-amp builds, the PSU +Protect boards have been modded per Bill_P's suggestion (thanks for that Bill!) and work flawlessly.

I've been playing Jack Johnson 'In Between Dreams' (nice crisp recording with fantastic bass and recording space, Paul Simon 'Rhythm of the Saints' which has some incredible, spacey percussion and now playing Diana Krall 'Quiet Nights' - always great recordings with feathery strings.

Both Amps biased up for 320mA total supply current - so OPS sitting at about 130-140mA each (yes, about 100mA more than Doug would recommend).

I am extremely pleased with the result - great bass and mid with very clean an open high end.

:cool:

Attachments

• nx3.JPG
    nx3.JPG
    596.9 KB · Views: 1,338
  • nx 2.JPG
    nx 2.JPG
    775.1 KB · Views: 1,251
  • nx4.JPG
    nx4.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 1,136
Last edited:
I've just finished assembling a second complete nx-Amp - these are the boards I bought from Jim's Audio on ebay.

The front end diamond buffer resistors on this build, on my original nx-amp build and on my sx-amp have all been increased to 150 Ohms/110 Ohms as detailed in the errata sheet under the nx-Amp build document on my website (NB 120 Ohms instead of 110 Ohms works just as well BTW).

On both nx-amp builds, the PSU +Protect boards have been modded per Bill_P's suggestion (thanks for that Bill!) and work flawlessly.

I've been playing Jack Johnson 'In Between Dreams' (nice crisp recording with fantastic bass and recording space, Paul Simon 'Rhythm of the Saints' which has some incredible, spacey percussion and now playing Diana Krall 'Quiet Nights' - always great recordings with feathery strings.

Both Amps biased up for 320mA total supply current - so OPS sitting at about 130-140mA each (yes, about 100mA more than Doug would recommend).

I am extremely pleased with the result - great bass and mid with very clean an open high end.

:cool:

Hi Bonsai,

Could you PM me the link to where the PSU modif is and the modding you are talking about on the amps boards?

Thanks
Do

Here you have them using forum system

regards,

Carlos

Thank you!

I just completed the bench testing and burn-in on the second amplifier last night. I was able to move them into my listening room and have a brief listen. So far I am quite pleased. I may have to tweek on the AC current gain a bit to see what the results are, but overall very good sounding.