• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Post pics of your glowing tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mine 6CD6G Amp

:no:

Attachments

• P1030464.JPG
    P1030464.JPG
    595.5 KB · Views: 672
Singh Santa - I'm curious, do you have a link to a schematic somewhere? You can check out mine by searching here for "Miz Piggy". It was the first tube amp I started (though not the first I finished), and coaxes surprisingly nice sound out of cheap tubes and output iron.

Singh Santa - I'm curious, do you have a link to a schematic somewhere? You can check out mine by searching here for "Miz Piggy". It was the first tube amp I started (though not the first I finished), and coaxes surprisingly nice sound out of cheap tubes and output iron.

Hi,I agree.I've seen your's.A little bit complex to me.Here is my search "TEE Vee Tube fans' SE Cf Amp ".It works with almost all kinds of TV tubes.I've tried many.They sure sound good and powerful.This one delivers 7.5W at 250V plate 150V screen.

I'm surprised you've been able to keep them going that high. I use the 6P3S-e valves because they'll take anything I can throw at them, I tried the 6P3S is the same amp (a few sets in a Simple SE) and it gave me a nice blue glow (350v or so at 25 or 30mA) but there were also worrying lines (kind of like lightening) all across the dome. Made me take them straight out.

OK, I'll bite. What is it? I have seen that picture before but I don't remember where. Looks wicked, wonder what a pair in P-P would put out.

Even I know better than to make an expensive tube glow.

Not absolutely certain, but I believe it's a "Globar" (commercial trade name). Useful as a source of infrared, and once considered for lighting instead of incandescent light bulbs since it can run at 1000+ kelvins without burning up in air. It had better than twice the efficiency of incandescent bulbs filled with vacuum. Coiled tungsten filaments running in argon (Mazda lamps) beat it in the efficiency department. Though if you want to take it higher than 2000 kelvins, it needs to work in an inert atmosphere, otherwise the SiC breaks down, making SiO2 in contact with air. That will eventually ruin it since SiO2 is an insulator.

Not absolutely certain, but I believe it's a "Globar"

After I posted that and didn't get an immediate response my curiosity led me to Google. I found that there were some serious transmitting tubes built in Silica envelopes for operation at temperature extremes. I enclosed the data sheet for a big Mullard version although it may not be the same type shown in this thread.

I remember the trade name "Globar" being used on some rather large (sand covered?) resistors used for filament dropping in very early battery operated radios. I discovered some of these in my grandfathers workshop at a young age, but was disapointed that the Glow Bar wouldn't glow despite being connected directly across a (6 volt) car battery! I wasn't allowed to play with power line voltage yet, probably a good thing.

Again my curiosity (and a few very old memories) drove me to Google. It turns out that Globar is still in business making a lot of things including big ceramic resistors and heating elements.

Google also led me to a picture of the factory where my grandfather had his workshop. This picture is from WWII era suburban Atlanta, but the factory was build in the 20's and looked the same until it closed in the late 60's. Gramps was a radio ham and experimenter and he had all sorts of cool goodies in that place. Some would be valuable treasures today.

Attachments

• tys5-3000.pdf
    188.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Couch Brothers Manufacturing.jpg
    Couch Brothers Manufacturing.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 572
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.