• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Post pics of your glowing tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DSC00327.jpg

Nice amp Jeb! Is that another DIY amp? If it is, I'm curious about the front panel lettering.....

Thanks! Yes, it is a DIY based on 6as7g. The etching on the faceplate is derived from my last name (DePaiva). People referred to us as the DP's back in the day. The faceplate was too plain beforehand.

What are the tubes Piero7 is lighting up?

It is a Russian GU29 and like my 211 it is not supposed to do that. It is a gassy tube. Details in this thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/150649-gu29-damaged.html

And what the heck is an Eimac 450th?

Eimac makes big transmitting tubes for radio and TV stations, ham radio and short wave broadcasting. The 450th is one of their small ones. Several adventuresome DIYers have become bored with common audio tubes and have employed some of the smaller transmitting tubes in audio applications. Most transmitting tubes are not well suited for audio, but some work very well. The 211, 845 and 833A tubes shown in my glowing post are also transmitting tubes.

The internal glowing of some SED EL34s in the Dynakit VTA-70
vta70-sed-el34-glow.jpg
I use SED EL34 for my Dynaco amp as well. That picture must have been taken soon after turning it on. Mine does that too but the blue glow disappears a few minutes later.

Bizarre blue glow from a pair of Shuguang 300-** in a Tubelab SE
tubelab-se-testing-dark-300bs.jpg
How do those mesh sound compared to other 300B?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.