PO89ZB , an inline DC filter for SMPS wall warts . Preamps, HPA, Korg NuTube, etc

@Mark Johnson changing only resistors and diode to smd (diode is same manufacturer, same diode just smd package, resistors also same, current sense for 40mohm and regular 953ohm, but smd), shouldn't change any calculations you've made?

I've left trough hole inductor (since it's abundant again), and capacitors since no applicable stats in smd package. This way there is enough resistors (40k plus in stock on mouser) vs none for trough hole, which seems the main problem for this lovely device.

I'll be ordering a batch by the end of the month together with my assembly order, and will check and share if there is no issues.
Screenshot 2023-01-06 230002.jpg

Yes it could be smaller, and currently it is the same size as the original (mounting holes) one. It is already quite small, and this way inexperienced people in smd soldering can easily solder (good exercise seeing how world revolves around smd components) . Also, i like wider traces :) If all is good as with original, i can maximize space/minimize size as desired.

Reactions: 1 user
@PKI I've made a smaller pcb. Ordered parts for it, and will opet a new topic per mark suggestion when i test it out. It is 50% smaller, but had to keep the length to 5cm due to keeping all the calculated parts (cap (both nichicon and kemet can fit) and bourn inductors) of the circuit so it doesn't change the functionality.
Screenshot 2023-01-09 134456.jpg Screenshot 2023-01-09 134522.jpg

• Thank You
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Find a creative, safe, and effective way in your application to share the current between at least two of these filters or pick another filter.

Answer in post #1.

I am blind indeed.

With this PCB and these components, the design limits are 48 volts maximum and 3 amperes maximum. You shouldn't exceed 48V, no matter what the current. And you also shouldn't exceed 3A, no matter what the voltage.

So, all good as is for 12V/3A.

For 5V/6A, "pick another filter", do you know of any?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The parts list attached to post #1 of this thread, includes (this component) . The word "diode" seems to more closely match the manufacturer's description of this component, than it matches the description of any other component in the post #1 list.

Reviewing the page at the link above, I notice entries for DigiKey , Mouser , and others. Available from several different sellers.

Last edited: