PMD100 to TDA1541 in smultaneous mode

Yes, I designed a small PCB with a complete interface for the TDA1541A while I am waiting for a new chip to arrive... See attached pictures: transformer isolated coax and toslink SPDIF inputs can be switched, DIR9001 receiver, PMD100 digital filter (compatible with SM5813/DF1700), and glue logic with various possibilities to test out which one works best... I will report how things go on!

Attachments

• input.jpg
    input.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 242
  • digital.jpg
    digital.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 239
  • gluelogic.jpg
    gluelogic.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 244
  • board.jpg
    board.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 231
  • underside.jpg
    underside.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 272
Reactions: 1 users
Wait a bit with PCBs... When You recklock data line (or other) with just one FF output will be 1/2 delayed for 1/2 period of MCK that recklocking data. Try to put in series another FF to meet the output for round one period of MCK and rising/falling edges matching. And to avoid metastabile events...
That's what is intended: delay of DATA lines half a cycle to align with falling edges of BCK. How can metastable events occur?

It is little different from I2S input interface n the PMD100 datasheet. Without inverter for CLK F-F input.
Note that Deglitch pin output from PMD100 can be used as source for the DEM pins @ TDA1541A.
And Format is in COB so no need to invert MSB. That is huge advantage.
But stopped clock would be important.

Attachments

• PMD100 I2S input circuit.png
    PMD100 I2S input circuit.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 127
The PCB works: SPDIF coax / toslink switchable. TDA1541A sounds wonderful from PMD100. I tried a couple of configurations, the attached circuit worked and sounded best. Questions remain about the coax input circuit:

coax.jpg

Are R19 and R20 really needed? What about C32 and R16, R17, R21, R22...? Also, should I add reclocking for BCK? If yes I need to again delay the data lines, here a simulation of a reclock of all lines - what do you think?

Attachments

• gluelogic.jpg
    gluelogic.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 125
Thanks for sharing infos
You can not recklock BCK with 11.xxxMHz since the BCK is alreadu have the same F (11.xxxMHz).
For recklocking BCK from PMD100 You need 2x higher Master clock.
I thik that some mistkes are in the sim page. BCK F is not 352.8KHz but 11.xxMHz.
And data ines F is 1/2 of BCK.
Should be like this
https://tinyurl.com/y7re3ohqall lines are in phase and all of the periods are 50%
But this is with MCK of 22.5792 MHz and PMD100 maybe could not accept this.
Ths is for the USB interfaces, most of them have 22.xxx/24.xxx MHz MCKs, but could be divide by 2 with some J-FF
You already have some form of recklocking for data L/R. Just add one more FF after FF in each data R/L lines.
That will additionaly delay data lines for 1/2 period of clock F
Did You tried with DEM part?
How was preseted BCK phase in the PMD100 pin. Inverted BCK or not inverted?

Last edited:
Yes, the simulation has random frequencies and duty cycles, but I wanted to show delay in half steps, hence I used inverted and non-inverted clocks for the flipflops...

But this is with MCK of 22.5792 MHz and PMD100 maybe could not accept this.
Ths is for the USB interfaces, most of them have 22.xxx/24.xxx MHz MCKs, but could be divide by 2 with some J-FF

Yes, I considered a USB input as well, but for now I will keep it as it is and enjoy...

You already have some form of recklocking for data L/R. Just add one more FF after FF in each data R/L lines.
That will additionaly delay data lines for 1/2 period of clock F

I intended 1/2 delay because inverted BCK seems to mess up the internal latch of the TDA1541A...

Did You tried with DEM part?

Yes, with and without... With was an improvement!

Attached my scope shots: yellow = BCK, green = DATA_L, red = DATA_R, blue = LE. Circuit is shown in #54.

As for reclocking BCK: I simplified the my simulation. The screenshot shows that the timing between BCK and DATA is correct (I could take a 512x MCLK from the DIR9001 and divide it before feeding it to the PMD100), what do you think?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 119
  • gluelogic reclock.jpg
    gluelogic reclock.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 119
wow fast work :)
I think that You could divide 512x MCLK from the DIR9001 to 256X for XTI PMD100
with J-FF You can choose which polarity is better and maybe You can remove one inverter since divided MCK can have inverted out?
https://tinyurl.com/y7l56d7r.
Probably delay for 1/2 11.xxxMHz will hot change anything. As long as LE stayed like it is, as maybe most important line
About SPDIF input consult topologies and value of load resisitors for ballanced input transformers. Ususaly they have circuits labeled as proffersional.