Plethora of Pinjatas / SET P amp(s)

Awhile ago I bought 2 upc1237 modules but didn’t manage to install them until now.
The modules have bridge rectifiers onboard.
There is no possibility to trigger pin4(turn on/off sensing) directly from the transformer windings because the pin is connected onboard.
My transformer is a dual secondary with dual bridge rectifiers.
I connected the bridge rectifier of the upc1237 to the same winding where the bridge rectifier that does the positive rail is connected.
If I measure between the ground of the upc1237 and the ground of the main amp I get 3vac and 2.5vdc no matter how I connect the bridge of the upc1237 to the ac winding.
When I join the ground of the upc1237 with the ground of the main power supply through a 47r resistor I get 6ma ac and 2ma dc(300mvac and 70mvdc). It doesn’t change if I reverse the connections to the ac line of the upc1237.
Is this ok ?

Because I these modules are for a stereo amp and I use them in monoblocks I connected the inputs to the upc1237 module in parallel.

Attachments

• BF82F2D3-EAEE-4530-93F8-470A836C6FBC.jpeg
    BF82F2D3-EAEE-4530-93F8-470A836C6FBC.jpeg
    516.6 KB · Views: 67
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've made my own protection module, and to be able to use it with whatever arrangement (common PSU, dual mono, monoblocks) - I resorted to place 3VA xformer on module itself

now, GND sense is common GND in case of common PSU, and chassis in case of dual mono

There is a solution for take-out point for AC sense (powering) for dual winding scenario, but I was lazy to remember, thus having 3VA xformer is least brain use solution

but, recently I stumbled on this and - in proper enigineering way of doing - instead of remembering anything - I saved the file and remembered that I saved it

all Kudos to hifisonics

Attachments

• Speaker-Protection-Board hifisonics.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 103
Everything up and running as expected, it took a bit more than expected because the space there is tight and I had to unmount the ps caps to get to the bridges for pulling out ac detect.
In the end I had to remove the bridge from my kit and replace it with a diode.
As I got it from the article ac detect works only if taken from a certain side of the winding that does the positive rail. I took the sensing from both ends and it worked. This test took the most time as I had to unmount one of the amps once more.

What are you using to disconnect the speakers? Relays or mosfets?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
AC sense - as I said, I just didn't had enough patience to wrestle with, while knowing that introducing small xformer is straight way to kill 5 flies with one stroke

I'm using relays, not so fussy regarding that - there are more important things to loose sleep about

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Boards done. I was envisioning installing these boards into a chassis that has M2 boards in it. The power supply is external. Oops! Chassis is not deep enough. Never fear, I have another rawson chassis that was waiting for a Juma F5 mini project. That one should work. It will get hot, but I’ll give it a go.

Attachments

• IMG_9593.jpeg
    IMG_9593.jpeg
    615.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_9594.jpeg
    IMG_9594.jpeg
    595 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_9595.jpeg
    IMG_9595.jpeg
    644.2 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
^So says the guy with TWO SissySIT amps just laying around and a bunch of DMM... ;)

What did you do? Collapse the whole thing ( power supply and amps ) into a single chassis?

What will you do next? Build a 42 version? You know ZM has the 53 and 666 versions in the works.

The Kolosal Plethora of Piñatas...

With all of those amps around... have you given the thought of building a large, adjustable, power supply? Come up with a design like that would be most useful. I mean, do you ever run all of your amps at the same time? I know I can't given I only have two home runs ( 120VAC @ 20A each ) and the cost/heat would be over the top.

Maybe you'll be able to fit the Aleph 1.2 that way?

++

Why don't they make a two channel DMM? I mean, they could use Channel 1 for everything and Channel 2 for most of the things like Voltage, Current and Resistance. I mean, they could collapse the whole thing into a small, portable two channel 100 Mhz scope with built in DMM like user interface features.

Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Plethora of Pinjatas is sounding glorious on my Tannoys! It is indeed the little brother to the XA252 SET!

Tony - my original plan in 2019: 2x SissySIT in my active system. I loaned one to a friend - in Dec 2019 or Jan 2020. In the "before times"... I got it back last week.

Next up - I'm going to change out amps in the active rig. This doesn't happen often.

Crown K2 on sub. No need to change this one until it fails. Gobs of power, no fan. Perfect for subwoofer duty.
Swapping XA252 SET in place of Adcom 555 on 15" bass driver
Swapping Plethora of Pinjatas SET/P/Schade on compression drivers & super tweeters.

I'll let this go for while. One day I'll try my Aleph 60 with IRFP150's in the bass position (when I build it in 2024...).
SissySIT and Plethora of Pinjatas with get some A/B testing.

Reactions: 1 users