Playstation as CD-player

PS1 and others

Didn't get through reading reading all 83 pages of this thread, but also wanted to add that the Sega Saturn worked wonderfully as a CD player as well.

Even now, I'm finding players cheap and expensive that mess up the signal on certain high frequencies (turns to scratchy noise). The Saturn holds strong.

I also use better gear, but it still stands as being a surprisingly good player.

Hi

I am still watching this post avidly..!

The hum was mentioned...is this the same hum i have heard.?

When not playing a cd on my scph-100*, which has the mods from Mick_f's webpage. Connected via homebrew analogue cables on new gold rca's.

Is the hum caused because i have not shielded the psu with metal, only a wooden barrier?.. Or is this just a trait of the psu mobo and output.? Or just because the volume is up higher than normal due to the lower output and it has no standby mode.?

Interesting thought about the saturn, would like to to hear an A/B test with those?

Thanks.
Tim

The hum was mentioned...is this the same hum i have heard.?

I'm talking about hum with the original output stage. When I comared AV MULTI OUT and RCA outputs on mine, the only difference was the very low hum in the RCA outputs. It turns out to be the opamp buffer.

Dunno with yours, maybe the RCA jacks grounding should be improved. Does it happen when the CD is on pause? Maybe it's just because the DAC is left floating when there's no output but I never heard hum from the PSX with the buffer removed.

A/V Output of SCPH 1001

Hi All,
Well, following Antoine's and Mick's advice and Mick's great photos, I hooked up 2 RCA jacks to the appropriate A/V Multi-Ouput tabs. I used 0.64 mm wide, nonfluxed copper braid. I tinned the A/V tabs and the ends of the 4 pcs. of braid and with a very fine point soldering tip, soldered the braid directly to the tinned brass tabs of the Multi-output. Then soldered the other ends to 2 RCA jacks. This used video game player should not sound so good! I am amazed. By the way, the Multi-output connection does sound better then the inverted buffer/RCA jacks connection. I am suprised that the DAC audio outputs can drive the stock audio cable and the pot/amp. I have not even opened the PS yet. Thanks Antoine, Mick, et. al.

Bruce

Well, following Antoine's and Mick's advice and Mick's great photos, I hooked up 2 RCA jacks to the appropriate A/V Multi-Ouput tabs.

Well, that's not what most of us done here, but that's how it's hooked up on the dynastation and one of the ways of doing the mod on Mick's site.

By the way, the Multi-output connection does sound better then the inverted buffer/RCA jacks connection.

Oh, you didn't read the 83 pages...

The real mod is done directly at some pads connecting directly to the DAC output pins and then you use a resistor and cap for the output stage. It's in the latest pages and on Mick's site.

Maybe I missed something in the thread, which I don't feel like re-reading. You guys say the PSX is (relatively) sensitive when it comes to cable and, I guess, pre/amp matching. (I don't have any mismatch problem. I ask here in general.) What exactly does the PSX want? 47kOhms was standard for tube gear back in the day. It still seems to be something of an accepted standard, at least outside of high-end audio.

Having that said, you do the same "sacrifice" when you use passive preamps, yet people rarely lament the lack of buffer in those. And when it comes to MC carts, you need to get quite far off target value in order to hear any difference in sound. In fact, when it comes to low or ultra low impedance carts, using the lowest possible input impedance seems to be less about matching than to allow for lowest possible impedance--low impedance for the sake of low impedance.

So my question is, is there something to take into account when choosing output ground resistors? I mean, would 47kOhm resistors be preferred if I were to match the PSX with, say, an old WE 91A? I'm thinking in the line of impedance matching of MC carts. Or am I way off here?

Ignore the cable. That's not a factor in my case.

DragonMaster said:

Well, that's not what most of us done here, but that's how it's hooked up on the dynastation and one of the ways of doing the mod on Mick's site.

Oh, you didn't read the 83 pages...

The real mod is done directly at some pads connecting directly to the DAC output pins and then you use a resistor and cap for the output stage. It's in the latest pages and on Mick's site.

1. "one of the ways" is explained quite clearly by Mick. AS you of course read, I have not opened the case.
2. Hmmmmm, you must be physic.. "Oh, you didn't read the 83 pages..."I did not know I didn't. :D

Bruce

2. Hmmmmm, you must be physic.. "Oh, you didn't read the 83 pages..."I did not know I didn't.

See:
By the way, the Multi-output connection does sound better then the inverted buffer/RCA jacks connection.

This was told a looong time ago.

1. "one of the ways" is explained quite clearly by Mick. AS you of course read, I have not opened the case.

Yup!

phn said:
Maybe I missed something in the thread, which I don't feel like re-reading. You guys say the PSX is (relatively) sensitive when it comes to cable and, I guess, pre/amp matching. (I don't have any mismatch problem. I ask here in general.) What exactly does the PSX want? 47kOhms was standard for tube gear back in the day. It still seems to be something of an accepted standard, at least outside of high-end audio.

Having that said, you do the same "sacrifice" when you use passive preamps, yet people rarely lament the lack of buffer in those. And when it comes to MC carts, you need to get quite far off target value in order to hear any difference in sound. In fact, when it comes to low or ultra low impedance carts, using the lowest possible input impedance seems to be less about matching than to allow for lowest possible impedance--low impedance for the sake of low impedance.

So my question is, is there something to take into account when choosing output ground resistors? I mean, would 47kOhm resistors be preferred if I were to match the PSX with, say, an old WE 91A? I'm thinking in the line of impedance matching of MC carts. Or am I way off here?

I would like to know this also, but I think Greg touched on it a few posts back. ( http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=866970#post866970 )

I would assume it is ideal to match impedences -- or at least checking them with the formula that the cut-off isn't changing too much.

The source component resistor is in parallel with the input resistance of the next component downstream. The formula for paralleling two resistors is (R1 * R2) / (R1 + R2).

If you play with numbers and this formula, you'll see several things... one is that the paralleled value will always be lower than the smaller of the two resistors. Another is that when you have two resistors in parallel that are the same value, your paralleled value is 1/2 their un-paralleled value. And another is that when you have two resistors paralleled that are different values, but pretty widely different than each other (like 100 ohms and 5 ohms) the value very near that of the smaller of the two resistors.

phn said:

Im trying to find some answers for myself, I have just made myself more confused.

According to : http://diyparadise.com/mar06/impedance.html

We should be using on the output resistors with 1Kohm if we were driving a 50Kohm input.

My head hurts.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A thought on why Sony buffered the RCAs...

DragonMaster said:

<SNIP>
AV Multi is passive, but RCA has an opamp more. Strange since the AV Multi OUT is plugging to a wire with RCAs at the other end.
<SNIP>

I had a thought about this... One possible reason Sony put the op-amp buffer in the RCA-jack output, but not the AV Multi output is that they supply the cable for the AV output and know its parameters, but they have no control over what's connected to the RCA jacks. They may have added the buffer there to reduce the chance of interface matching problems.

Just a thought...

Greg in Minneapolis