Plasmatweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
To your discussion I come perhaps later.
Here is the picture as the Tweeter now looks.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The case is warm and you should not put up something on it because of the ventilation
And this is the schematic without ac
It works!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Der Schaltungs-Null wird nicht an die Gehäuse-Masse angeschlossen =
The circuit is not zero-to-earth housing (?)

Der NF-Null wird nicht an die Gehäuse-Masse angeschlossen =
The NF-nil is not linked to the housing-earth (?)

Eingang vom Lautsprecher =
Input from speaker coming

Everything else has really been clarified.:D
Many greetings,
George

Hi Guys,
I just stumbled onto this thread.

Goodness me!!! This is amazing stuff!

Forgive my ignorance. Is the plasma generated out of air?
I would love to see and hear this tweeter.

I plan to go back Home next year (2008). Home being Switzerland, maybe I can plan a trip to meet George.

I'll be back on this thread to check on the progress of everyone. Thank you. Truly amazing.

Serge

Questions

Greetings All,

I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the resistance of an electric arc or plasma arc?

(What is the factor limiting the current in that arc?)

2. Is there a frequency at which the air is more easily ionized?:confused:

This project is awesome.

Bye for now.

Best Wishes,

Serge

1: it changes, high impedance until the arc forms then it reduces.

2: these all run about 27 MHz. the frequency does not matter much on how the air is ionized. it is the very high voltage which makes the spark happen. About 25,000 volts at 100 watts for 1 inch.

it is a self oscillating amplitude modulated radio transmitter combined with a tesla coil. Go do some research on those and you will start to understand how it works.

There are reports that HF frequencies too low may result in noise, but that seems to have nothing to do with the ionization efficiency.
The 27MHz commonly used is one of the few frequency bands you are allowed to operate in. Remember that you essentially have a transmitter and although you might like to listen to good music, you dont have to enable people 5000miles away to listen to the same music in their radios by operating your tweeters in the wrong band.

Regards,
Peter

the buzzing you hear from "normal" arcs is because the frequency is only 50Hz or 60Hz.

this arc's carrier frequency is 27000000 Hz.
It is Amplitude Modulated at the audio frequency.

the clever thing is that it can arc into thin air because the 27 000 000 Hz signal can radiate into the air instead of to a grounded conductor.

If your power supply has poor filtering you will hear some faint buzzing.
Almost every stage of these things have enough voltage to kill you. you must respect it.

This arc is not to hear, like a wax candle, very quiet.

OzMikeH wrote: If your power supply has poor filtering you will hear some faint buzzing.
That is correct.

This is the schematic of the power supply.
Who does not know something with the fingers should omit.

So I run both tweeters.
The power switch is a small Japan-Typ with 3A.
So again to the statement: It is not a question of the tube first heat and then the anode voltage switching, which is nonsense anyway, but only a matter of a simple and small switch can be used without the contacts remain stuck.
When one 250 µ F flow directly involved as a short sometimes more than 20A, you can even turn off the automatic backup.

So laufen bei mir beide Tweeter.
Der Netzschalter ist ein kleiner Japan-Typ mit 3A.
Also nochmal zur Erklärung: Es geht nicht darum, die Röhre zuerst zu heizen und dann die Anodenspannung zu schalten, was sowieso Unsinn ist, sondern nur darum, einen einfachen und kleinen Schalter benutzen zu können ohne dass die Kontakte kleben bleiben.
Wenn man 250µF direkt einschaltet fließen da kurzzeitig schon mal mehr als 20A, da kann sogar der Sicherungsautomat abschalten.

The relay circuit is designed for soft start.
The 58 R Resistor is for the rapid discharge of 1000 µ provided to the circuit after disconnection immediately ready
The operating voltage is not consistent with the mass-housing. Similarly, the 0-V connecting the NF-operating voltage not with the cabinet Ground

And it looks from the inside, on the left side there is the NF and the filter
The two 100 µ F capacitors are in the RF part because there is no more space was

I work only with the sheet angle grinders and welding, so nothing is very straight and just
It is not the problem of an electric arc to produce, or a plasma flame, the device is so loud by the construction of the reflektor

Best Wishes,
George

Some tests with my friend's plasma tweeter. The electrode is tungsten. The driver stage of this one is all vacuum tube. output circuit is similar to yours with a capacitor added to stop the 700Vdc from going through the output coil.

We tried a quick corner reflector from MDF, the heat from the plasma is incredible, the corner reflector helped the volume.

The sound got louder when it was arcing to the carbon (the white sparks)

I wonder how it would sound with a tube for the electrode with a small gas flame like a cigarette lighter. It should make starting easier.

Attachments

• plasma1.jpg
    plasma1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 690
So we added another electrode for the ground and a very dodgy horn from the gardening department. The pot helped to stop the wind from blowing the plasma away.

With a constant tone from the signal generator this was uncomfortably loud to be near. We were only putting 125mA at 700V through the tube. As it is here it was much Louder than it needed to be for a tweeter at normal listening volume.

You can see the output coil is very large, it doesn't get hot at all. It needs to be shortened, it is running at 21MHz here.

Attachments

• plasma2.jpg
    plasma2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 761
If you get the electronics right it is better than ANY ribbon or compression driver.
No diaphragm of any sort can come close. The electromagnetic field is directly moving the air... Mms is virtually zero.

Cons: doesn't go loud easily, complex build, emits ozone, electrodes burn away. Very poor efficiency.

Commercial plasma tweeters are all horn loaded. The air in the room needs to be quite still, a draught that would flutter a candle could blow this out so you need to restart it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.