Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Did a «quick» conversion of my J into a BA-3 this weekend/yesterday, to power some 15” woofers in OB’s (Tannoy 3134s atop). Talk about vitamine injection!

Properly burning amp @ 0A9 per device :devily:

Attachments

• IMG_0510.jpeg
    IMG_0510.jpeg
    400.9 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_0511.jpeg
    IMG_0511.jpeg
    504.1 KB · Views: 370
Reactions: 9 users
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Couple of comments about my config @ #6,779 now that things have settled down and I have some hours on them.. Sounds amazing, and I'm picky these days. We'll see if the impression holds up over time. I recently dropped a pair of Telefunken's (NOS $$$) in my toob pre, and man it sounds really good right now with quality source material. Some audiophile jazz stuff I was playing today had stunning speed, resolution, and clarity with no distracting sibilance. Both male and female voices are very lifelike depending on the recording. And enormous soundstage depth with certain tracks. That sort of effect is difficult to achieve, at least in my experience. Have to get a lot of things right.. My pre adds just a little warmth and sweetness I think, like some butter and maple syrup on your otherwise dry pancakes.. Great, now I'm hungry...

Next step? I don't know. With a few small changes (VAS transistor, a few resistor value tweaks) I could easily run this already cascoded front end from an external ±45V supply. I have a dual mono version built up with BZLS regulated power supply boards that just needs a little touch up work that was meant for something else, but would actually work great here. I don't know if it would help the first watt, but might help some of the last?? It nevers ends... "If you don't know what to try.... try everything..." :)

Attachments

• BZLS regulated supply.jpg
    BZLS regulated supply.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 285
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Just finished building my second F4. No issues with this one either.
The first build was for the man with the money. This one is MINE! :mischiev:

I changed a few details so it will be easy to add some FE-flavour (M2 Turbo!?) in case I would ever want to do that.

Interesting comparing a 'fresh' amp with similar one that's been running for 6 months. Sounds to me like burn-in could be a thing!?
Nahh... must be psychoacoustics. All amps sound the same! :rofl:

Once again, thank you Pa for sharing and thank ya'll for making it possible!

@adason Please note the different LED-wiring! Light is so much brighter now. :yes:

Attachments

• F4_4.jpg
    F4_4.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 260
  • F4_3.jpg
    F4_3.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 238
  • F4_2.jpg
    F4_2.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 276
  • F4_1.jpg
    F4_1.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 279
Reactions: 6 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks, Vunce!
I LOVE the updated F5. Between it and the Scryer, my favorite amp is whichever of those two is being used at the time. :spin:

And now for something completely different…

I just finished my second project of the past 14 hours!

This picture isn’t great, but I successfully shoehorned a WBA2018 and two +/- 15VDC Meanwell SMPSs into a Korg B1 chassis from the store. It works fabulously, even with no extra regulation or filtering. It’s perfect for my secondary system with the TDV amp. I never play this system loud, so the WBA2018 providing all the voltage gain is enough here.

I‘ll have to sort out how to safely get the AC in (maybe with a front switch) before I can button it up completely, but I’m thrilled with it in Mad Max style for now.

Time for a celebratory ranch water and then some snoozing.

Attachments

• IMG_1045.jpeg
    IMG_1045.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: 2 users
Hi!
I posted these in various threads, but would put all of them here.
First is a preamp, Front End 2022.
Then, two Zenductors monoblocks. They are not mirror image pairs, because I build them from the parts that I had in hands, so the heatsinks are different.
19V supplies. Had them cooking at 1.5A, but they got uncomfortably hot, so I dialed back a bit, so they are set at around 1.25 A (compromise).
These are pure Fun :)

Attachments

• Frontend2022-1.jpg
    Frontend2022-1.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Frontend2022-2.jpg
    Frontend2022-2.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Frontend2022-3.jpg
    Frontend2022-3.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Frontend2022-4.jpg