Pictures of my Thor project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
JasonL said:
ok i just looked up the prices for them drivers 286 each hummm are they worth it..?

Man... canadian exchange rates are bad...

I like them and don't regret spending money on them. I spent $900 usd for the kit shipped from madisound (got an extra 10% off from madisound for being a gatech student and ordering 3 kits with a couple of friends).

They are nice drivers, so it is up to you on how much you want to spend.

--
Brian

i dont mind spending the cash but i just hate it when i see crap components that is all. that is why i post questions first. befor spending. : O ) i was going to buy focal drivers but these are nice too and im building a pair of mtm's and a pair of subs with 10" drivers ( witch i m still looking for any advice ) some thing with power and excersion and low fs. i have 2 x av800's that i will be useing to power them ( will never use full power though)

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
John,

great! another person is building Thor TLs! If I was to build them again, I would not put the big base on them and just make the sides go clear to the ground. The crossover will still fit in the base if you go all of the way down. Are you using the madisound kit?

The speakers are breaking in more and getting a much fuller sound each day. For the break-in period so far, here are my experiences:

First couple of hours: tweeters seem a bit harsh, bass is quite weak. It doesn't seem to hit the low notes. When I first listened to the Thor TLs with my friends freshly finished pair, I was a bit disappointed with the lack of bass. At least the cabinet looked nice :D

3-100 hours (about now): highs and mids sound great! The speaker seems to blend into the room, with the only problem being the lack of bass. bass gradually gets added to the speaker as time goes along.

now: They are starting to sound great! My girlfriend still can't tell the difference between them and my old jbl speakers... but she doesn't try and alway seems more interested in here chemical engineering studies....

I talked to Dr. Leach and he some measurement equipment in his audiolab and a few programs. I am going to measure them again in a couple of weeks.

I have a couple of friends that are convinced to build a pair of Thor TLs once they graduate and get some cash.

--
Brian

I did get the Madisound kit.

Martin King recommends changing the size of the TL though, although I haven't run all of the numbers yet. (this was on Another thread ). What I'm tempted to do is build one set "Stock" but with speaker connections I can take out. Then build another set 'bigger'. To appease the wife :) I might make the other ones thinner but deeper (to increase the exit area of the TLine).

Brian,

At this moment i am busy building Aleph-2 monoblocks, and planning to build Thor loudspeakers in the future.

As you have build the Thor aswell Aleph-2 ill have a question for you.

Will the Aleph be a good match with the Thor.
Does it live up with your expectations, or must the Aleph be modded becouse off the 4 Ohm impendance.

Edwin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.